SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Needed maintenance for a 10 year old

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 08:30 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Needed maintenance for a 10 year old

I have a 2007 Pebble Beach model with 17,000 miles on it . Oil was changed about a year and a half ago at 15,000 . What other maintenance do you think I should have done after 10 years ? I definitely feel a coolant change and flush is needed as well as possibly a brake fluid change . I have change the AC filter and air filter . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-17, 09:08 PM
MR2turbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
I have a 2007 Pebble Beach model with 17,000 miles on it . Oil was changed about a year and a half ago at 15,000 . What other maintenance do you think I should have done after 10 years ? I definitely feel a coolant change and flush is needed as well as possibly a brake fluid change . I have change the AC filter and air filter . Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
What a find, you should definitely post pictures. Since the oil is a year and a half old I would replace it for good measure. Same with the coolant, transmission fluid and brake fluid. I would also check the rubber hoses and seals as they tend to dry up and crack on older, low-mileage cars. Good luck with the car!
Old 01-04-17, 10:11 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemcb
I found a similar car. An 08 PB with 18,000 miles, changed oil and filter. Changed two quarts of the trans oil. Belts were fine. Mechanic laughed and said drive it like a 20k mile car.
Old 01-05-17, 08:20 AM
stevemcb
Driver

I appreciate the tips. I bought it new and keep it garaged. I haves changed the rubber trim where the windows touch the top as they crack after awhile from the glass pushing on the top. Dumped the run flats within 5000 miles for smooth michelins which greatly improved handing and ride. I also did the recall on airbags recently. I drive it every month with the top down in the winter here in florida. It still gets a lot of looks . People like the red interior . I have had very little issues. This car is the LS quality but in a sports car body. Lexus does not make this high of quality in a convertible sports car currently but ....
Old 01-05-17, 11:57 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

When I got my car I took it to Lexus dealership/mechanic to check all fluid samples and other conditions of wear and tear. The cost should be less than $50 for just looking at the samples. For window seals I regularly spray silicone lubricant on the rubber part so that friction between the window and seals as it goes up and down is minimal. It seems to help the motor and prevent the cracks.
Old 01-05-17, 04:30 PM
cwhtrains
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am the original owner of a 2002 SC430 with 39,000 miles. I currently drive the car about 300 miles or so a year. The first year I owned it I put about 22,000 miles on it. I changed the oil & filters and had normal services performed every 5,000 miles for the first 30,000 miles, since then the car has been used very little (only on nice top down days!). I had the dealer do the normal 30,000 full service which included oil change, coolant change, brake fluid change, etc. After a period of little use over the last 8 years since that 30,000 mile service, I talked with my local Lexus dealer about what should I really do. Their recommendation, based on the low mileage, was to just perform the complete 30,000 mile service again which was what I did. I did use Mobil One for the oil change.

Since my car is now 15 years old, I am considering what to do about the timing belt change issue, but so far just trying to decide. The dealer's recommendation was the miles were just to low (even though the age was past the recommended 10 years) to change it yet. As the tires are now approaching 10 years old, thinking about changing them out as well.
Old 01-05-17, 07:32 PM
stevemcb
Driver

I think I will do all of the fluid changes mentioned and flush the radiator . It's really nice to own a car that just keeps on running without too many problems to deal with .
Old 01-05-17, 07:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

I would change out tires if they are more than 8 years old regardless of tread left especially for driving at highway speeds.
Old 01-06-17, 08:51 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Congrats, sounds like a beautiful ride. Pictures would be wonderful. We would all like see it.
Old 01-06-17, 09:30 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I would change out tires if they are more than 8 years old regardless of tread left especially for driving at highway speeds.
I know that the age of tires are very important. I once asked Michelin what was the beat way to store tires. They told me in moderate temp 30 40 degrees not near any electronic device, heater, furnace , any magnetic source and not on concrete.
Old 01-06-17, 10:24 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't know if its common knowledge here---every tire sold in this country has a DOT number and the last four digits indicate the week and year of its manufacturing date. For example "1013" would mean it was manufactured on 10th week in 2013. I had to replaced my spare tire last month due to its being over 10 years old even though it had never been used. It is considered unsafe to drive any tire over ten years.
Old 01-07-17, 04:05 PM
stevemcb
Driver

My tires show 2013 in the front and 2010 in the back as the fronts had both replaced because of nails. Too much new construction in the area . I have enclosed a couple of pictures but it is too dark too cold to take any good ones outside . I will take a couple pictures when the sun comes back out . I do not know why the photos show upside down. When you click on them they show correctly.
Attached Thumbnails Needed maintenance for a 10 year old-img_2453.jpg   Needed maintenance for a 10 year old-img_2451.jpg  

Last edited by stevemcb; 01-07-17 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-08-17, 07:39 AM
cwhtrains
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK - I just checked my service records and found out that my rear tires were replaced with Dunlop SP5000 DSST's on 3/26/2003 (25,143 miles) and the front tires were replaced with the same Dunlop tire on 7/1/2004 (33,023 miles). The car now has 39,214 miles. Several things come to mind, of which the primary one is that I need to be driving the car more!

It seems by any standard I need to replace these tires in the spring as I live in Indiana where it is about 2 degrees today and realistically will not drive the car again until warmer weather. So the second question is what tires are people using these days. The replacement Dunlop's rode so much better that the OEM tires and our dealer priced the change over at a good price compared to the tire stores near me. Also, given the age of the TPMS sensors, should batteries (or sensors) be replaced? The current sensors still function fine, but as I bought the car new on 11/10/2001 seems like I should do something here as well. I intend to keep the car, so not just trying to get by with short-term fixes.

Also the last service that I noted in the post above was performed as a 60,000 mile service and was done on 3/17/2014 at 38,526 miles. I'm thinking I probably need to do the same service again this spring as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-17, 07:58 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I like the Michelin pilot sport as/3 , or bf Goodrich sport comp A/S. if you don't drive it in cold weather. I like Michelin PSS, or bfGoodrich g-force sport comp2.
The Dunlop rode better because they weren't run flats. Reviews for Dunlop are not near as good as for the Michelin or BfGoodrich.
tpms sensors, you can't change just the battery. I would get the coolant changed, motor oil. I would think about a injector cleaning either professional, or at least a couple tanks with a good cleaner in it.

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-08-17 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-08-17, 08:08 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The TPM sensor batteries are not replaceable, so the only alternative is to replace them. They are not cheap, so you might wait until they go out. However, if you just want to replace them as a preventative maintenance action, do it when you replace the tires. Be aware that the dealer will have to reprogram the TPMS to accept the new sensors unless you have a Tech Stream, in which case you'll be able to do it yourself. (Most tire shops do not have the capability to reprogram the monitoring system.)

Quick Reply: Needed maintenance for a 10 year old