SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 09:52 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed

What are possible reasons that the TPM light would be on after new tires installed (other than low pressure, obviously)?
Old 12-24-16, 11:12 AM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

" O point calibration "could be what you need to get done.
I have seen the TPMS light come on after tire rotation or alignment
Old 12-24-16, 11:26 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Do you have a TechStream? If so you can check the battery levels with it and possibly see if one has dropped out.
Old 12-24-16, 02:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
Do you have a TechStream? If so you can check the battery levels with it and possibly see if one has dropped out.
Unfortunately no.

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
" O point calibration "could be what you need to get done.
I have seen the TPMS light come on after tire rotation or alignment
Googled "0 point calibration" but didn't find anything relevant to the SC -- can you be more specitic?
Old 12-24-16, 07:35 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My experience is that the ham-fisted tire jockey ripped one or more or the TPMS sensors with his tire machine/iron. On my first tire change they destroyed two of them. Of course they say that it was that way when they took the tires off. I hope yours is an easier fix.
Old 12-25-16, 04:54 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Is the light for the TPM on solid and no beeps ? If so consistent with TPM system not recognizing the sensors you have in your wheels ( which could also mean they are not transmitting what the TPM was expecting ). If one or more of your TPMS have not been damaged, then I would check if the glove box setting for the TPMS is in the original condition you had it at when you handed the car over to the tire tech. There are two settings for the TPM switch in the glove box. I run main for winter wheels and TPMS and secondary for my three season wheels and TPMS. When I forget to change the switch after changing my wheels, I get the solid yellow TPM warning light. Takes about 4 miles or so of driving for it to settle down even after I set the glove box switch correctly.
Old 12-25-16, 08:55 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Johnnycake

when I rotated my tires and bought new tires, I made sure the sensor was
in the same tire position and once the tires were rotated , no lights came on.

One of the Tech told me if you moved any of the sensirs
to a different position , the lights might be triggered and you will need to have the sensors
reprogrammed. This might be something you want to check on
Old 12-26-16, 05:27 AM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by jonas's RX

One of the Tech told me if you moved any of the sensirs
to a different position , the lights might be triggered and you will need to have the sensors
reprogrammed.
Surprised to hear this. For my 2005 ( with OEM sensors fully programmed by a Lexus dealer each time ), tire rotations work just like any other car - sensors can be at any corner of the car and as long as programmed, the TPM computer will recognize them. They do not have to be at the same corner for the system to work properly. I would be very annoyed if every time I did tire rotation, I would have to remove the sensors and re-nstall or for that matter, to reprogram. Wonder if the fact that Lexus charges between $125 to $140 to program the silly 2002-2006 SC430 TPMS system ( supposedly one of the most user unfriendly systems Toyota ever made) has something to do with the claim that re-programming is needed after each tire rotation.
Old 12-26-16, 07:01 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The tech's claim about reprogramming the TPMS after rotation or changing tires is totally bogus. The Lexus/Toyota system doesn't know anything about the location of the transmitter. An alternative to the OEM system that is inexpensive and works better is this one. I've been using it for six months now and I'm very pleased with it.It beeps when air pressure gets low so I keep my ashtray drawer closed and don't even look at it unless I'm curious. It's equally visible at night or day and tells me which tire is low. The batteries in the transmitters are even replaceable! Perfect solution for around $100 on Amazon.

Old 12-26-16, 04:32 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I've been eyeing these for a while also. They do look like a good alternative and actually give you some numbers versus an idiot light.
Old 12-27-16, 11:49 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
The tech's claim about reprogramming the TPMS after rotation or changing tires is totally bogus. The Lexus/Toyota system doesn't know anything about the location of the transmitter. An alternative to the OEM system that is inexpensive and works better is this one. I've been using it for six months now and I'm very pleased with it.It beeps when air pressure gets low so I keep my ashtray drawer closed and don't even look at it unless I'm curious. It's equally visible at night or day and tells me which tire is low. The batteries in the transmitters are even replaceable! Perfect solution for around $100 on Amazon.

thanks

Thanks for the info. Bought a set
Old 12-28-16, 08:08 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

UPDATE: Lexus says the TPMS "lost memory" which they restored.

What during the tire change process caused that? The gas station that did the tire change says they will gladly pay if it was their fault.
Old 12-28-16, 03:22 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Wow, that's a new one to me (apparently to you also)! Did they mess with the power while doing the tire change?
Old 12-29-16, 03:15 PM
OBP
Advanced

Originally Posted by Harold57
Wow, that's a new one to me (apparently to you also)! Did they mess with the power while doing the tire change?
Even if the battery was disconnected, the TPM computer will still store the codes for the red, blue, white and gold sensors for the OEM TPMS system. I know because I have had my battery replaced before and that never triggered a TPMS warning light. Something is not quite right here.
Old 12-29-16, 03:20 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm guessing the tire place tried to program them for some reason. Then found their tool couldn't, but it did unpair them. Just my guess.

Quick Reply: What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed