SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 08:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I may take you up on that Harold, since we haven't seen each other in awhile. It's really no big deal, but never mind spending time with a fellow CL member
Old 01-05-17, 05:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I'll try to load it on the laptop when I get some time so we won't be wasting time on that when or if you make it out here.

We are due for another Dallas meet up, aren't we.
Old 01-05-17, 10:49 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
I'll try to load it on the laptop when I get some time so we won't be wasting time on that when or if you make it out here.

We are due for another Dallas meet up, aren't we.
....I think we are...lol......I actually met a few of the other CL members about a month ago,they were from the North Texas CL chapter, I happened to be the only SC430 there
Old 02-16-17, 03:34 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I read this thread with interest because I had new Michelin Sport A/S 3+ tires put on at Costco and then the TPMS light stayed on. Costco replaced the OEM sensors with VDO SE10002A sensors, but then could not register the sensors to the ECU. Their attempts also resulted in the TPMS light changing from being on constant to blinking with an audible alarm. At this point they gave up, but did not charge me for the VDO sensors.

I took the car to Lexus today and they could not register the VDO sensors to the ECU either so I had to pay dealership to replace the VDO sensors with OEM sensors and pay for the labor to break down the tire, replace the sensors, re-mount and re-balance. I knew it was going to be expensive, but I was shocked at a bill of $782.

Now I'm not surprised that the original batteries were very weak after 11 years and needed replacement. What surprised me was the dealerships labor. Costco charges $15/wheel to mount and balance a new tire. The same steps were done by the dealership as if they were installing a new set of tires with the exception of registering the new sensors to the ECU. How could they up the labor from $60 to over $500?
Old 02-16-17, 03:42 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I read this thread with interest because I had new Michelin Sport A/S 3+ tires put on at Costco and then the TPMS light stayed on. Costco replaced the OEM sensors with VDO SE10002A sensors, but then could not register the sensors to the ECU. Their attempts also resulted in the TPMS light changing from being on constant to blinking with an audible alarm. At this point they gave up, but did not charge me for the VDO sensors.

I took the car to Lexus today and they could not register the VDO sensors to the ECU either so I had to pay dealership to replace the VDO sensors with OEM sensors and pay for the labor to break down the tire, replace the sensors, re-mount and re-balance. I knew it was going to be expensive, but I was shocked at a bill of $782.

Now I'm not surprised that the original batteries were very weak after 11 years and needed replacement. What surprised me was the dealerships labor. Costco charges $15/wheel to mount and balance a new tire. The same steps were done by the dealership as if they were installing a new set of tires with the exception of registering the new sensors to the ECU. How could they up the labor from $60 to over $500?
I have two sets of tires: winter and summer. The winter tires now have the original OEM sensors that came with the car in 2002. They are still running strong (fingers crossed). I purchased a completely new set (the four color sensors) from Craigslist for the summer set for approx $125, if I recall. Took them to the tire shop that ordered my new tires and rims and mounted them for free (in the correct locations as I found on this forum) as they were doing the tires and wheels anyway. Tire light and alarm were active as they of course weren't programmed to the TPMS ECU. Took the car with the summer set mounted to Lexus and told them the situation, that I purchased a dedicated summer set of tires and want to use the button in the glove box to swap between summer and winter tires. Lexus programmed the new set to "2nd" for free. I did have some problems and had to go back a few times the first few season swaps, but they rechecked and "applied" settings for me for free as they said they accidental replaced 1st set and therefore 2nd set was empty. Now I have both sets programmed and just have to click the switch when I changed tires every season. I'm sure there will be a few people here that will chime in with a suggestion of the ODBII program and cable (Techstream) that allows you to program the TPMS in your own driveway, but I haven't purchased it.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-16-17 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-16-17, 03:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

The position of what sensor goes at what position on the car does not matter. The thing that matters is that a complete set of sensors ** 4 different colors} are installed on the car it will not matter if you want to rotate tires later as long as they were programmed once
Old 02-16-17, 04:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
The position of what sensor goes at what position on the car does not matter. The thing that matters is that a complete set of sensors ** 4 different colors} are installed on the car it will not matter if you want to rotate tires later as long as they were programmed once
Yes, I was told the same thing: position doesn't matter but the colors and frequencies (written on the sensor) should be noted to make the Lexus programming easier. I just documented all the factors (color, freq, and position) and gave the organized info the tech. Better safe than sorry. Out the door 15 minutes later.
Old 02-18-17, 05:13 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman

Went through the same thing when replacing sensors at Costco last year - but I knew they would not be able to program so I told them hand the car back to me with the the warning light lit but with the new OEM sensors I bought online installed - paid Costco labor of $15 per tire to install the sensors. Then, went to the Lexus dealer to get the programming done - $130 out the door for programming. If I had let the dealer do everything, it was going to be in the $500 range even though I supplied OEM sensors ready to be installed. I knew cos I asked before starting the whole process. Which is why I had Costco do what they did for me. I am sorry about what happened to you on this sensor install thing Poqman ( and also sorry for your recent misfortune ). Dealers profiteering is what is going on.
Old 02-18-17, 05:23 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

I had 2 sensors go out ( the other 2 was just replaced ) on my 02 and went to the dealers
to get them installed . The dealer charged me 2 hours labor at $400 and $250 for parts
They eventually discounted me down to $400 after I asked them to match the online
OEM price and discounted labor

I guess i am now good for 6-8 yrs but next time when it goes out,I am just unplugging
them from the dash using the tips on the board
Old 02-19-17, 04:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Guys, for $30 you can program the sensors yourself! Open the attachment in post 21, complements of DiggerJim 2007-2010
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-question.html

open the attachment in post 1. It shows all of the settings you can change, compliments of ShawnOK.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-function.html

see post 192 for another set of TPMS programming instructions 2002-2006
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-system-5.html

Where do I purchase TPMS sensors?
https://www.rockauto.com/m/mobilecatalog.php

I replaced one in my wheel with one from Rockauto and when I matched the OEM with the new one, the writing on each sensor was exactly the same.

Just google techstream, there are plenty of vendors, ebay, Amazon etc

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-19-17 at 06:31 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 08:47 AM
dad94513
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 isn't a 2002!

Tmps light came on after having my new pioneer avh491 head unit installed. Went to tire shop after doing all that is advised here. 2001 cannot be reprogrammed by simple hand units but only accessed through the cars computer. After the stereo installer hooked up to the computer, he found 1 bad sensor. In the meantime he also connected the antenna to the power source of radio so when I power down radio the antenna goes down...great for car wash. Now, the vsc light as well as vsc off lights are now on! Can installation of a stereo and rewiring antenna, etc cause these new issues?
Old 01-31-18, 09:06 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

There is a button switch in the glove box that allows you to have two different sets of tires programed position 1 for summer position 2 if you have winter tires . Check that button . Most likely the installers disconnected the battery you may need to have the codes reset , Also seats and windows need to be re-programmed .
Old 01-31-18, 11:00 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by dad94513
2001 cannot be reprogrammed by simple hand units but only accessed through the cars computer.
Hey, Welcome to Club Lexus?

What kind of Lexus do you have? The reason I ask is the SC430 wasn't made in 2001 and you may benefit from posting in a forum designed for your car.

That being said, often times when you hook an OBD reader to the SC, it causes the VSC lights to go on. You need to calibrate the steering wheel sensor.

You can watch this video on how to fix it

WHAT CONCERNS ME IS, I DON'T KNOW IF THE PINS YOU NEED TO SHORT ARE THE SAME ON ALL CARS

So you want to do a search for your model to make sure you short the right pins

Old 01-31-18, 12:10 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by dad94513
Tmps light came on after having my new pioneer avh491 head unit installed. Went to tire shop after doing all that is advised here. 2001 cannot be reprogrammed by simple hand units but only accessed through the cars computer. After the stereo installer hooked up to the computer, he found 1 bad sensor. In the meantime he also connected the antenna to the power source of radio so when I power down radio the antenna goes down...great for car wash. Now, the vsc light as well as vsc off lights are now on! Can installation of a stereo and rewiring antenna, etc cause these new issues?
you said he found a bad sensor. You need to replace the TPMS sensor. Then use TechStream to setup the new sensor.
you can find them on eBay. I just replaced all of mine, I should have done them all at once.

you need to do the VSC reset procedure...short pins 4&14 in OBDII
turn key on until the lights blink rapidly
turn off key
remove the wires shorting pins 4&14.
VSC light should stay off.

your VSC light came on because your installer connected a code reader to the OBDII connector...it happens everytime

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-31-18 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-01-18, 10:15 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Hey, Welcome to Club Lexus?
What kind of Lexus do you have? The reason I ask is the SC430 wasn't made in 2001 and you may benefit from posting in a forum designed for your car.
Actually, that is only partially true. The first SC430s were made & sold in 2001, they were just marketed as 2002 models. Some of the longer timed members still refer to their cars as 2001.

Quick Reply: What are possible causes: TPM light on after new tires installed