SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I'm afraid to drive my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-16, 09:09 PM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm afraid to drive my car

I have a 2004 SC430 that I'm afraid to drive. Here's why: 3 times during the past month, while driving my car, it beeps twice and then everything simply dies. Certainly the engine dies and I believe that the electrical dies too but I can't swear to it simply because how quickly it begins and ends. The "death" only last for about 1 to 2 seconds. The engine then restarts and all is normal.

During that 1 to 2 second period, there is a bit of control loss because of the sudden deceleration. It is more of a deceeration than if one just let off the gas and I suspect this is due to the non running engine being turned by the wheels. Yesterday, it occurred as I was going 70 mph. The rear of the car seemed to kick to one side and then the event was over. If the road had been wet, it could have gotten really ugly.

Of course here is the rub in all of this. I can take it to the dealer or to a good mechanic but we all know that the thing won't show up while they have it. Or, maybe they will begin the guessing game and start replacing things at my expense.

Do you think that this would show up on the plug in unit that tells you what is wrong with your car (don't know the name of the device but Auto Zone will check it with one of these gadgets).?

2004 SC430
Old 12-21-16, 10:34 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

....when it does this, have you noticed if the lights, radio or anything electrical turns off also, if so, then concentrate on the electrical system. If none of these occur, then you may have an issue with the fuel system. I would definitely have a diagnostic test, to see if there are any codes.....also have you noticed a pattern, as to when this shutdown occurs ???....is it in the morning, at a certain speed, car been running for a specific amount of time, etc...
Old 12-21-16, 11:59 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Your car starts itself after dying without needing to turn the ignition again?
Old 12-22-16, 04:04 AM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

It just happens so fast that I haven't focused on whether the electrical is affected but if I were to guess, I would say 80% yes. However, I would add, as I've thought about it, I recall that it happened one time while I was turning a corner and the steering wheel didn't lock.

As far as the car restarting, it happens on its own and it has restarted all 3 times. This restart has happened at 25 mph, 40 mph, and 70 mph. The length of time that I was driving seemed to be random but certainly in all cases the car was fully warmed up.

When it happened this past Tuesday, I was driving on a Nashville freeway and I continued to drive another 4 hours (on I-65) and had no problems.

So, to repeat my original post, in all cases it beeps twice and then the engine and probably the electrical dies.
Old 12-22-16, 04:09 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kooljets
It just happens so fast that I haven't focused on whether the electrical is affected but if I were to guess, I would say 80% yes. However, I would add, as I've thought about it, I recall that it happened one time while I was turning a corner and the steering wheel didn't lock.

As far as the car restarting, it happens on its own and it has restarted all 3 times. This restart has happened at 25 mph, 40 mph, and 70 mph. The length of time that I was driving seemed to be random but certainly in all cases the car was fully warmed up.

When it happened this past Tuesday, I was driving on a Nashville freeway and I continued to drive another 4 hours (on I-65) and had no problems.

So, to repeat my original post, in all cases it beeps twice and then the engine and probably the electrical dies.

Sounds like a loose ignition harness. I had this happen to my 1986 Mustang many years ago. In that case, though, the harness actually was dragging beneath the car. It would get wet and the car would 'hiccup' or stall completely. At speed, I guess I can understand the restarting itself (wouldn't need the starter to turn the engine because of the momentum.)

Cleaning the connector and then properly securing it back in place fixed the problem.

Anyway, check your ignition harness.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-22-16 at 04:15 AM.
Old 12-22-16, 04:13 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

In my 2002 Hyundai Sonata, also similar issue with a particular Bluetooth OBD scanner I had tried to leave plugged in. My dash gauges would go nuts, everything would flicker, and it felt like the engine lost power suddenly. Never a complete stall, though.

Another possibility is a failing main battery cable (or even corroded terminals). Had this happen before as well, but then it would only stall at idle or very low speeds.

Just some ideas from my experience.
Old 12-22-16, 04:13 AM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, I will check the ignition harness.
Old 12-22-16, 04:47 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
At speed, I guess I can understand the restarting itself (wouldn't need the starter to turn the engine because of the momentum.)
I get that concept for a manual transmission, but how does that work with an automatic?
Old 12-22-16, 05:06 AM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

It would appear to me that what ever caused the interruption reset itself in the 1 to 2 second time frame. Whether the momentum was needed, I don't know. It seemed to me that when I was a kid (45 years ago) that we could start a car with an automatic transmission if it was pushed fast enough. Could be wrong about this but it seemed like we would put it in drive and have another car push it fast enough to start.
Old 12-22-16, 08:39 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooljets
It would appear to me that what ever caused the interruption reset itself in the 1 to 2 second time frame. Whether the momentum was needed, I don't know. It seemed to me that when I was a kid (45 years ago) that we could start a car with an automatic transmission if it was pushed fast enough. Could be wrong about this but it seemed like we would put it in drive and have another car push it fast enough to start.

yes back in the day you could push the automatic car up to around 35mph and start the car. For many decades now the front pump is not driven by the output shaft. Thus you can no longer push start an automatic no matter how fast you push it.
Old 12-22-16, 09:03 AM
Coleroad
Racer

My first thoughts were different than the consensus. First the beeps sounds like the traction control. The car feeling like a pull to one side . Seems like a single brake being applied. The engine being cut to reduce wheel spin. My thoughts then we're more like a dirty wheel speed sensor. A loose connection to one. Something along those lines.

The power getting cut for traction control feels like the engine dies for a second or two. Feels the same way in a car when you hit the speed limiter. At those speeds you get negative g's. It feels like you hit the brakes.
Old 12-22-16, 09:17 AM
OBP
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

If Coleroad is right, you should see the traction control lamp light up in the gauge cluster when the problem happens.
Old 12-22-16, 09:23 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

First thing i do with electrical problems, is remove, clean and use dielectric grease on ALL of your grounds (body to engine, body to battery, engine to battery, etc.). You may have a loose or corroded connection somewhere.
Old 12-22-16, 09:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by OBP
If Coleroad is right, you should see the traction control lamp light up in the gauge cluster when the problem happens.

i had mine kick on so quickly all I noticed was the beeps and not noticed the light. Not saying it didn't come on , but that by time I glanced down it wasn't on. That happened the first time that tc kicked in. I was wondering what happened till the next time when I had really stepped on it. Then I saw and heard everything. Then I realized what the beeps were from before.
Old 12-22-16, 01:51 PM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

OK. I believe that I have a strong indication for the solution. Several months ago I had an unusual event and did not connect it to the current problem. COLEROAD i am confident that you have identified the problem. Several months ago my TC did kick on and it did "bog" the car down but I was only going 15 mph and there were wet roads. My thought at the time was, "Gee, doesn't seem like this should happen" but that seemed to be the end of it.

Now, I am confident that it is the same thing going on. That I fed everyone with "false news" shows me that there are some pretty sharp folks on here. Thanks to everyone on good sound thinking on the info I provided. To Coleroad, I say, "An amazing deduction, given that I said that the car died and 80% sure the electrical went out". But under the stressful conditions and the shortness of the event - that is exactly what I thought.

If I turn off the VCS should that keep the problem from happening until I get it fixed. According to the manual, TC is turned off if the VCS is turned off.

Secondly, is the fix something that I should leave to a mechanic? I'm pretty handy with fairly easy repairs.

Quick Reply: I'm afraid to drive my car