SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I'm afraid to drive my car

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-16, 03:50 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I would check the wires and plugs for all four wheel speed sensors. Then then sensors themselves for damage or dirt. Then I would check the tone ring for dirt or damage.
Attached Thumbnails I'm afraid to drive my car-image.jpeg  
Old 12-22-16, 05:46 PM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Coleroad. I think this might be a bit beyond my abilities. I must add that before this started I hit a deer on my front driver side quarter panel and before I was able to get it fixed I hit a vehicle with that same quarter panel making the car unable to be driven. Maybe I should have them start there.

Thanks again. You the man!
Old 12-22-16, 07:14 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooljets
Thank you Coleroad. I think this might be a bit beyond my abilities. I must add that before this started I hit a deer on my front driver side quarter panel and before I was able to get it fixed I hit a vehicle with that same quarter panel making the car unable to be driven. Maybe I should have them start there.

Thanks again. You the man!
its not complicated as you are thinking. Pull each wheel sensor, it's only one ten millimeter bolt. Pull it clean with a damp rag. Look through the hole the sensor was pulled from. Rotating the brake rotor you can see the tone ting. If you see anything on it you can clean it with brake cleaner. When you put the sensor back on do NOT over tighten it, it will crack and ruin it. Just make it snug. I would suggest using a nut driver or 1/4 inch ratchet so as not to over tighten.
Old 12-23-16, 09:40 AM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like something I would like to try. I'll let you know.
Old 12-23-16, 10:27 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Kooljets
Sounds like something I would like to try. I'll let you know.
read this thread and see if anything described sounds familiar...hope it helps.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...omponents.html
Old 12-23-16, 11:12 AM
Kooljets
Driver School Candidate

Great thread. Especially the part about disconnecting the battery. Thank you very much.
Old 12-23-16, 01:10 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
read this thread and see if anything described sounds familiar...hope it helps.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...omponents.html

Hmm, I might try this battery reset on the IS250. It seems like the ABS kicks in way more than it should. It's winter here, so it's not like I am stomping on the brakes. I also noticed that sinking of the brake peddle that was mentioned. Like I am fully stopped and then the brake peddle sinks in under my foot and the car moves slightly like the brake let go.

I thought it was just more icy than I realized with the ABS thing, but the last two days have been warm and no ice and it still does it occasionally.
Old 12-23-16, 03:49 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Retroplay, that would be a new one (to me anyway). I don't remember hearing anything about ABS programming in the 10+ years that I've been on the forum, but it is possible I guess or a possible difference between the IS and the SC. With the pedal sinking like that, I have to wonder whether the brakes need to be bled or just need the fluid replaced altogether.
Old 12-23-16, 03:58 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Retroplay, that would be a new one (to me anyway). I don't remember hearing anything about ABS programming in the 10+ years that I've been on the forum, but it is possible I guess or a possible difference between the IS and the SC. With the pedal sinking like that, I have to wonder whether the brakes need to be bled or just need the fluid replaced altogether.
That was my thoughts as well, or a possible vacuum leak in the booster. It's a bit strange because the pedal is stiff when it comes to a stop. But then it sinks in just a little bit and the car slips forward a bit. We are talking just inches. Nothing dangerous.

But the other symptom (perhaps unrelated) with the ABS seeming to kick in like it is way too sensitive had me thinking to try this approach. It wouldn't hurt to try it, anyway.

They put the new tires on it today and I asked them to look at the brake pads while they were in there and they said they were still perfectly fine.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-23-16 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-25-16, 09:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Maybe the simplest solution... in what condition are your tires?