SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lights in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 01:32 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Originally Posted by Bgw70 Swap the two light fixtures around. left to right and right to left...I mean unplug the fixture and move it to the other side.

bgw , you think just the plug to that fixture became unplugged? To change the bulb he only had to take the lens off.
It is very possible that someone worked on the trunk and unplugged the fixture. (I did this with my puddle light on my door when I worked on the weatherstripping one time. Discovered it a year later.) So I agree with Bgw, pop out the fixture, and make sure that the cable is connected to the fixture. If it isn't, try swapping it with the other side to determine if the fixture has gone bad. If it lights up, try the good fixture in the bad slot to see if either there is a wiring problem. Hopefully, it will just be a disconnected connector.
Old 01-03-17, 02:01 PM
DylanFan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will try popping the light fixture out the next time we get the car out. The tool you used looks like a butter knife so I will try using that!
Old 01-03-17, 05:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by DylanFan
I will try popping the light fixture out the next time we get the car out. The tool you used looks like a butter knife so I will try using that!
not a bad choice of available tool but if Harbor Freight is near you in Florida, pick these up for $8.99
http://t.harborfreight.com/5-piece-a...set-67021.html
Old 01-03-17, 07:03 PM
JDMFactory
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha its not a butter knife, its a pry tool I have for mobile phone repairs.
Old 01-11-17, 09:13 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Hello all:
Has anyone found what led bulbs do work for the foot wells and glove box? It does look funky having bright white in map lights with yellow foot wells........
Old 01-11-17, 09:18 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Hello all:
Has anyone found what led bulbs do work for the foot wells and glove box? It does look funky having bright white in map lights with yellow foot wells........

T5 bulb, but they are a real bugger to push in. The incandescent bulbs have rounded edges where they push in the socket. The LEDs don't seem to come rounded. They are the little ones outside the package in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Lights in the trunk?-image.jpeg  

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-11-17 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-11-17, 10:45 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Coleroad...the footwell bulb is larger than the glove box so you used the same led's in both spots?...Where and what part number are they....there seems to be mant choices of t5's...could you have filed down the sides and rounded them for an easier fit?
Old 01-11-17, 11:17 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Thanks Coleroad...the footwell bulb is larger than the glove box so you used the same led's in both spots?...Where and what part number are they....there seems to be mant choices of t5's...could you have filed down the sides and rounded them for an easier fit?
any T5 led will fit. Pick the one you want. Some come with adapters to install them in instrument clusters. There are ones with more LEDs then the ones I bought. About rounding the corners. Someone else on here did do that, and said it helped. I could be mistaken on the glovebox bulb then. That is the one bulb I didn't change. It really didn't matter to me to change it.
Old 01-11-17, 11:17 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

On my 2005, the footwell bulbs are much smaller than the other interior bulbs like the trunk and door puddle lights. The manual may tell you what the code is for the footwell bulbs.
Old 01-11-17, 11:26 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Here is an additional thread on them. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ght-bulbs.html
Old 01-11-17, 02:59 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Coleroad is right, the LEDs are very hard to insert because of the blunt edges. I didn't try rounding the edges but think that would be a good tactic, just file the corners off of it. (See the pictures in post # 9 in the link that Coleroad supplied.) My bulbs were very difficult to remove also. Those little buggers are in there tight!

Also as Coleroad mentioned, any T5 (or a 37) will work. I got the T5. However, just to be safe, you might check out the dimensions before ordering them to make sure that they are close in size to the OEM bulbs.

I've also seen where someone else on the forum has mentioned that someone on ebay is selling full LED kits for the car. That would have saved a whole lot of searching trouble for me but I'm done and happy now.

Good luck.
Old 01-20-17, 04:26 PM
stevemcb
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I also replaced all my interior lights and noticed a big change in the look. I had to buy two lamps for the feet foot area separately. I bought the light kit on Amazon but did not change the license plate lights . I also replaced the door lights on my 2016 RX 350 with the ones that show The Lexus emblem and then put the old RX 350 lights in my SC 430 as they are exactly the same even after 10 years except for them being LEDs .
Old 01-20-17, 05:37 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by stevemcb
I also replaced all my interior lights and noticed a big change in the look. I had to buy two lamps for the feet foot area separately. I bought the light kit on Amazon but did not change the license plate lights . I also replaced the door lights on my 2016 RX 350 with the ones that show The Lexus emblem and then put the old RX 350 lights in my SC 430 as they are exactly the same even after 10 years except for them being LEDs .
i thought the plate and backup lights made some of the biggest difference.
Old 01-21-17, 08:47 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Coleroad, were your backup lights plug and play or did you have to make any mods to the fixtures? Which bulbs did you buy for the backup and plate lights?
Old 01-21-17, 09:05 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
Coleroad, were your backup lights plug and play or did you have to make any mods to the fixtures? Which bulbs did you buy for the backup and plate lights?
the plate lights where the same T10's I used elsewhere in the car. The backups, I had to frill the inner lens. I have a picture of the backup bulbs , but don't remember exactly what the were. I knew I wanted ones with a projector lens, so the were functional too.
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (01-21-17)

Quick Reply: Lights in the trunk?