SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Teaser

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 10:00 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Teaser

Well, I learned my lesson about talking about my big projects in advance and then not having the time to complete them. I haven't given up, just more realistic about what time and resources I have available to me.

Anyway, I thought I would just post this teaser as I am gearing up for some time off over Christmas:

I have been slowly obtaining components to build that test-bench I had talked about.

I obtained another (this time complete with door) navigation display. I have also picked up a NAV unit, the network gateway, and most importantly, a complete dash harness. I don't have an amp in there and I don't think I will need one but I should be able to expand on to this as I pick up more components. These particular parts are my focus at the moment.

The PC Power supply you see in the picture will be used to power it all. I intend to simulate the OFF-ACC-ON-START of the ignition switch as well.

I will need to trace out all the wiring and then assemble the whole thing into a frame to hold it together. I am not positive I will be able to complete the entire thing by end of year, but I am going to give it a try.

This rig will hopefully make developing my planned projects a whole lot easier.

Enjoy and wish me luck on getting the free-time to complete this.
The following 4 users liked this post by Retroplay:
Bgw70 (12-13-16), GmanSC (12-13-16), JohnnyCake (12-12-16), WIL44 (12-12-16)
Old 12-12-16, 11:26 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

This forum should sponsor you and send cash your way!
Old 12-12-16, 11:33 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
happy to. Only way to fix the antenna control issues that I see.

maybe someone here has a spare amp and antenna.

happy to support doing this correctly.

I assume my 08 radio is the same as what you have but if you need it I can send it?
Old 12-12-16, 04:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Looks like you have some fun times ahead of you Retroplay. Best of luck and gobs of time to you!
Old 12-12-16, 06:55 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking forward to your project.
Old 12-12-16, 11:46 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I appreciate that sentiment, but then it would end up feeling like work, and not fun, with the pressure.

Right now, as I have time, I am working on unwrapping all the bundles of the harness and separating them, then re-wrapping them. It would be very difficult to try to put together my frame with the harness as it is. It is obviously laid out as expected in the car and there are lots of wiring I don't need for my purposes. I am actually a little surprised at how many of the connectors are re-used. I found 4 different plugs that fit into the gateway perfectly!

Parts I am still keeping an eye out for are the J/Bs for the doors, seating, hard top, instrument cluster, etc... thankfully most of those are fairly cheap. The more expensive stuff, I have set up eBay watch filters to email me when it finds something for a respectable price.

My immediate project has to do with the multimedia system, though (installing a PC). Several others have done this, but my goal is a bit different, I think. I want it to be integrated into the car and not just bolted on. Most car computers end up being expensive MP3 players. I want something that feels like it belongs in the car and gives me conveniences of a modern car.
Old 12-13-16, 12:11 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Retroplay
I appreciate that sentiment, but then it would end up feeling like work, and not fun, with the pressure.

Right now, as I have time, I am working on unwrapping all the bundles of the harness and separating them, then re-wrapping them. It would be very difficult to try to put together my frame with the harness as it is. It is obviously laid out as expected in the car and there are lots of wiring I don't need for my purposes. I am actually a little surprised at how many of the connectors are re-used. I found 4 different plugs that fit into the gateway perfectly!

Parts I am still keeping an eye out for are the J/Bs for the doors, seating, hard top, instrument cluster, etc... thankfully most of those are fairly cheap. The more expensive stuff, I have set up eBay watch filters to email me when it finds something for a respectable price.

My immediate project has to do with the multimedia system, though (installing a PC). Several others have done this, but my goal is a bit different, I think. I want it to be integrated into the car and not just bolted on. Most car computers end up being expensive MP3 players. I want something that feels like it belongs in the car and gives me conveniences of a modern car.
love the idea. Do you need a electrical manual. I have one from an 09?
Old 12-13-16, 12:15 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
happy to. Only way to fix the antenna control issues that I see.

maybe someone here has a spare amp and antenna.

happy to support doing this correctly.

I assume my 08 radio is the same as what you have but if you need it I can send it?
The 2008 is probably the same as the 2005 model I have installed in the car. That one on my bench is the original 2003 that came with the car. I haven't noticed much different between them besides some relabeled buttons. I've read that 2005+ is supposed to be able to play CD text on the display for track/artist info. I tried confirming that by making an audio disk with CD-Text and it didn't display anything.

This is going to sound maybe anti-common thought, but I actually want to retain the original radio. I don't really listen to music often in the car because my drives are typically pretty short. Once the PC is installed, I would be playing music from that using the touchscreen, so the radio would mostly become just a big volume control and remote for the computer. I could actually just control the entire amp from the PC. My main purpose for the radio right now is because it is the master in the network and I need it to reverse engineer the network.

As for your antenna issue, with the AMP remote signal I mentioned, that would give you auto up/down control for the antenna. What else would you be looking for? I'm glad to help if you explain what else you are hoping for.
Old 12-13-16, 12:18 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Caflashbob
love the idea. Do you need a electrical manual. I have one from an 09?
Just recently bought one for a 2002 (my MY is 2003). I found a seller on Ebay that was clearancing them for $40. Still need to buy a set of repair manuals, though.

I appreciate the offer. Hang on to it, it will come in handy for you.
Old 12-13-16, 10:13 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Just recently bought one for a 2002 (my MY is 2003). I found a seller on Ebay that was clearancing them for $40. Still need to buy a set of repair manuals, though.

I appreciate the offer. Hang on to it, it will come in handy for you.
you are welcome. Hopefully will not need the book. Don't see a lot of posts here with electrical issues. Which is good.

amazingly complicated electrical wiring system.

i am thinking the newer cars entire system is multiplexed on less wires.
Old 12-14-16, 02:50 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

CarFlashBob, this question probably got lost in all my rambling. I would like to know what behavior you are hoping for about your antenna so I can help.

As for your antenna issue, with the AMP remote signal I mentioned, that would give you auto up/down control for the antenna. What else would you be looking for? I'm glad to help if you explain what else you are hoping for.
Old 12-14-16, 09:11 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

CarFlashBob, this question probably got lost in all my rambling. I would like to know what behavior you are hoping for about your antenna so I can help.
radio to,control antenna up or Down?

either radio power on or off raises or lowers the antenna or the radio off function like you are using the other internal functions lowers the antenna?

oem trimmed the radio antennas height to match the stations frequency and maybe added in the windshield antenna to reduce/induce? multi path signals?

Mechanical switches to control the antennas up and down?

which wire(s) at that point?

your interest is a great help.
Old 12-15-16, 01:50 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Auto up down with radio power on/off only requires you to connect it to that remote amp line I mentioned.

Sensing radio/CD or AM/FM mode is complex and I couldn't do much about that without reverse engineering your radio. The only chance it might have is if the mode is transmitted over the IE-Bus (or a CAN bus, etc..). I don't know if your radio supports that. You probably have a separate box that handles that because the OEM amp can't work without it.

Do you know if you have a separate box behind the radio? It would likely be an Axxess something or another. We could look at that and see if it has any sort of antenna control.

These are the most popular ones out there:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-TYAMP1 This one has an antenna control, but only up/down
or maybe this one?
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADBOX2 Doesn't seem to have any antenna control
Old 12-15-16, 05:14 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Auto up down with radio power on/off only requires you to connect it to that remote amp line I mentioned.

Sensing radio/CD or AM/FM mode is complex and I couldn't do much about that without reverse engineering your radio. The only chance it might have is if the mode is transmitted over the IE-Bus (or a CAN bus, etc..). I don't know if your radio supports that. You probably have a separate box that handles that because the OEM amp can't work without it.

Do you know if you have a separate box behind the radio? It would likely be an Axxess something or another. We could look at that and see if it has any sort of antenna control.

These are the most popular ones out there:
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-TYAMP1 This one has an antenna control, but only up/down
or maybe this one?
http://www.metraonline.com/part/AX-ADBOX2 Doesn't seem to have any antenna control
as far as I know the antenna rear power out is always live with the ignition on on the pioneer a human-4200nex

No reference in the manual to any power regime from the radio out.
Old 12-16-16, 02:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

It should be fairly easy to check, just put a meter on the antenna power pin on the connector and turn on the ignition. If nothing happens, turn on the radio.

Quick Reply: Teaser