SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HD Radio on SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-16, 02:16 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default HD Radio on SC430?

I wonder if some of you have tried adding HD radio to your factory stereo. As I am only interested in adding to factory radio not replacing it I am considering getting Grom to add Bluetooth music, USB, Aux and HD radio. Do any of you have experience comparing HD radio vs FM on SC430 ML system?
Old 11-07-16, 06:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Boom. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...m-install.html
Old 11-07-16, 08:14 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

I am referring to FM HD radio, not the satellite radio which requires subscription.
Old 11-07-16, 11:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
I am referring to FM HD radio, not the satellite radio which requires subscription.
Oops. Sorry. I'd be interested to hear if it's possible too.
Old 11-10-16, 06:39 AM
editordz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only way that's possible is by either replacing the head unit with an aftermarket stereo (Pioneer 8x00 NEX is popular), or by adding an AUX port (through VaisTech for example) to accommodate an external HD Radio receiver. There is no way to upgrade the OEM head unit itself.
Old 11-10-16, 08:24 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

An extra HD tuner is what I have in mind. Because if I am opening up the stereo and putting in Grom or Vais I might as well connect an HD tuner to it. The question is whether it requires an extra antenna and the audio quality gain is worth the trouble.
Old 11-11-16, 12:11 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

They make stand alone tuners for HD radio, same concept as I added for XM. I scoped out a few online and they are fairly cheap. Install is easy and I do believe you would piggy back off the existing antenna but you'd have to install a separate controller box, from what I see from diagrams. With that being said, I rarely use my XM now. I let my subscription lapse, as I was only listening to one station, Pitbull Radio. I do like the HD radio feature on my wife's Mazda CX5, and I have thought about dropping the XM and going to HD since all the wiring is complete. At this moment though, I think I will put it on hold. Is HD better than XM, I'd say yes... b'c it's free and I'm cheap. If you're installing VaisTech, my personal opinion in order of things to add to the Aux input: Bluetooth intergration>iPhone/iPod hardwire>HD>XM. This is just my opinion. Let us know what you decide. Good luck.
Old 11-13-16, 02:28 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Just installed Grom and its app Dashlinq. Amazing, thousands of free digital radio stations (much more than XM radio!) at your fingertip, not to mention google voice command support and other smart phone features. The best part is you cannot tell its there because they are all integrated into the factory radio and Nav. So, obviously, no need for HD radio, and perhaps FM/AM radio for that matter too.
Old 11-13-16, 06:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 914 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by jzdulexus
Just installed Grom and its app Dashlinq. Amazing, thousands of free digital radio stations (much more than XM radio!) at your fingertip, not to mention google voice command support and other smart phone features. The best part is you cannot tell its there because they are all integrated into the factory radio and Nav. So, obviously, no need for HD radio, and perhaps FM/AM radio for that matter too.
can you please tell us about your new radio?
how does it attach?
what is A GROM?
Old 11-13-16, 07:55 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Grom basically is smart phone interface to your factory radio, much like a GTA or Vaistech, but it has its own app Dashlinq and full fledged smart phone features. The installation is exactly like in this video:
So, after installation your phone can link to your car via Bluetooth, USB or aux which can all be hidden out of sight. I have a USB cable receptor in the ash tray, invisible when tray is closed and no drilling during installation is necessary either. The BT or USB interface will allow your phone to connect with factory radio via CD1.
To see how it works watch this video:
SC430 will automatically connect and sense the phone which will launch Dashlinq on the screen. Selection and vol control on your driving wheel all work. Tapping the WebRadio on your phone screen gives you thousands of stations. I put about a dozen in my favorite section so its easy to select. The phone calls will still work like it was before, but all your media and google commands go thru Grom.

Last edited by jzdulexus; 11-13-16 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-13-16, 09:24 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...I looked on their website & it doesn't have the 2002 listed. I know it's been discussed before, but is there any difference between the 2002 & 2005 radios ???
Old 11-13-16, 09:44 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

I think you will need to chat with Gromaudio to find out. They have only chat support, no phone lines.
Old 11-13-16, 09:50 PM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Grom even has a built-in Vline Android PC for 04 or later Lexus too. But our SCs, even later year models, like 09 & 10, are considered too old for such upgrade. An 06 SC is usually comparable to a 96 Toyota in terms of its technology.
Old 02-26-18, 12:22 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

For anyone that is interested, I am selling my HD Radio Unit. It is a stand alone unit and can easily work with any year SC430. It had great reception and fit in the middle compartment of the center console. It includes the car kit, which has a charging base and antenna, plus the unit has a functional FM modulator that is leaps and bounds above any FM modulator I've ever used. It also has an AUX input! Please let me know if you have any questions. I will link the area where I've posted it.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...430-parts.html Post #49

Old 02-26-18, 02:31 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

...so with this unit, will I be able to pick up the stations I get now & hd stations or only hd stations?....also, is there a monthly fee ?

Quick Reply: HD Radio on SC430?