SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Faulty ECM - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 04:24 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Faulty ECM - need some help

Lexus of Mobile is telling me my ECM is faulting. It is producing fault codes P0010 and P0012 even though the hardware associated with that error code is fine, tech says the ECM is not sending voltage to the component (cam timing oil valve?).

The dealer quoted me $1609.00 for a new ECM (for the part alone) plus $500 labor.

Has anyone purchased an ECM from a dealer for an SC430 online at a discount?

Has anyone successfully used a repair service for a faulty ECM?
Old 11-03-16, 04:38 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

That stinks, I am sorry to hear that.

I would recommend giving the repair place a chance. There is one on Ebay that will do a sc430 ecm for $189. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ECM-EC...ZU9iTP&vxp=mtr
The benefit of having them do it, is you don't need to reprogram any of your things. Taking out the ecm should not take 5 hours of labor. I believe the dealer charges that much because they have to program in the VIN and the Key codes and the Tire Pressure Codes, etc, etc

If you send yours in and get it fixed for $200, YOU WIN! If not, you only gambled 10% of the total cost of going through the dealer.

I have not had an ECM repaired, but one of my friends did and they were pretty happy.

If you want to hedge some of your bet, you can contact the repair place and ask them if they have ever done an ecm with that code before. I noticed in on of the ads, they did not repair ecms with certain codes.
Old 11-05-16, 09:11 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by DashingDar
That stinks, I am sorry to hear that.

I would recommend giving the repair place a chance. There is one on Ebay that will do a sc430 ecm for $189. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-ECM-ECU-PCM-Engine-Computer-All-Models-Repair-Return-/221717275651?fits=Make%3ALexus&hash=item339f612403:g:jOkAAOSwPYZU9iTP&vxp=mtr
The benefit of having them do it, is you don't need to reprogram any of your things. Taking out the ecm should not take 5 hours of labor. I believe the dealer charges that much because they have to program in the VIN and the Key codes and the Tire Pressure Codes, etc, etc

If you send yours in and get it fixed for $200, YOU WIN! If not, you only gambled 10% of the total cost of going through the dealer.

I have not had an ECM repaired, but one of my friends did and they were pretty happy.

If you want to hedge some of your bet, you can contact the repair place and ask them if they have ever done an ecm with that code before. I noticed in on of the ads, they did not repair ecms with certain codes.

Thanks - the seller (small high end used car dealer) has agreed to replace the ECM with a rebuilt unit. They will also investigate and remedy why my gauge cluster check engine light does not light with key in the "on" position during self test or when engine is running since there are two error codes of the type that would normally illuminate the CEL.

I had Lexus of Mobile diagnose this issue. At the Lexus dealer the Lexus tech swapped in a known good gauge cluster and the CEL and VCS lights lit, but they did not illuminate with the cluster that is in the car. The tech thinks perhaps the cluster CEL and VSC lights has been tampered with.

I just purchased this SC430 (with 27 k miles) from a dealer with an excellent reputation who had just got the car the day before I purchased it. I am confident the dealer (my seller) did not tamper with the car and they have assured me they will correct the problem. If it was tampered with, it likely was altered before the car was traded in.

I will keep the forum updated as we get the situation resolved. In the meantime even though I think tampering with CEL light is extremely rare, I suggest anyone that anyone that has purchased a used Lexus check that their CEL and VSC lights illuminate and then go out during self check with key in "on" position.
Old 11-05-16, 09:24 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Thanks - the seller (small high end used car dealer) has agreed to replace the ECM with a rebuilt unit. They will also investigate and remedy why my gauge cluster check engine light does not light with key in the "on" position during self test or when engine is running since there are two error codes of the type that would normally illuminate the CEL.

I had Lexus of Mobile diagnose this issue. At the Lexus dealer the Lexus tech swapped in a known good gauge cluster and the CEL and VCS lights lit, but they did not illuminate with the cluster that is in the car. The tech thinks perhaps the cluster CEL and VSC lights has been tampered with.

I just purchased this SC430 (with 27 k miles) from a dealer with an excellent reputation who had just got the car the day before I purchased it. I am confident the dealer (my seller) did not tamper with the car and they have assured me they will correct the problem. If it was tampered with, it likely was altered before the car was traded in.

I will keep the forum updated as we get the situation resolved. In the meantime even though I think tampering with CEL light is extremely rare, I suggest anyone that anyone that has purchased a used Lexus check that their CEL and VSC lights illuminate and then go out during self check with key in "on" position.
if someone tampered with the cluster they may have rolled back the mileage...were you able to confirm this did not happen?
ie. A carfax or Lexus service records.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-05-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 11-05-16, 08:30 PM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Bgw70
if someone tampered with the cluster they may have rolled back the mileage...were you able to confirm this did not happen?
ie. A carfax or Lexus service records.
Car Fax events shows mileage is correct. Car has original 2004 dated tires. Car also shows no wear on seats, controls, buttons, carpet, steering wheel, pedals, etc., consistent with very low miles.
Old 11-06-16, 09:23 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I heard that disreputable people take out the light bulb behind the CEL (Check Engine Light) in all kinds of cars. It is terrible how dishonest some people can be.

What two codes came up that would have triggered the CEL? Are they Costly Issues?

Of course, if you want to be an optimist, it maybe the light bulb just burned out on it's own since the CEL light was on for so long and no one knowingly tampered with your car.
Old 11-06-16, 02:01 PM
Jabberwock

It is producing fault codes P0010 Camshaft Position A actuator circuit and P0012 Camshaft Position A timing over retarded. The hardware associated with the error code is fine, testing/diagnosis indicates ECM is not sending voltage to the component, meaning ECM is faulty.
The car runs OK. Lexus tech said the hardware changes timing under hard acceleration. Hopefully we will get the gauge cluster CEL light fixed and the repaired ECM swapped in next week and can put this behind us.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-06-16 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-16, 09:46 AM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

don't let this thread just die without a resolution

thanx
Old 11-11-16, 02:10 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if they can or will, but Tainauto has been reliable/successful clublexus vendor to many Sc 300/400 models. Refurbishing problems, with the ECU damaged capacitors.
http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm
Old 11-11-16, 06:34 PM
Jabberwock

Currently scheduled to take the car in for service to get new/repaired ECM first thing next week. They will also pull the gauge cluster to see why the CEL is not working. Hopefully a new ECM will correct the fault codes and the gauge cluster can be repaired without replacing the entire part as a new one is $800.

I will post the outcome and details on what was repaired when we get the car squared away. So far the dealer (seller) seems to be working in good faith to correct the situation.
Old 11-12-16, 02:10 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure that a used gauge cluster can be found
and its really nice to hear about a car seller that makes a reasonable effort to do the right thing

Last edited by nomods4me; 11-12-16 at 02:12 PM. Reason: new thought
Old 11-30-16, 09:34 AM
Jabberwock

Update on my ECM and gauge cluster issue on the 2004 SC430. My car seller sent my ECM to be repaired by SIA Electronics in Illinois. Repair cost on the ECM was approx $230 including shipping which the seller paid. Took about 8 days end to get it back. The repaired ECM solved the error codes and resolved the lit check engine light.

I pulled the gauge cluster and found that someone had placed black tape and foam over the Check Engine light, VSC, and VSC off lights so they would not show thru the gauge panel. These 3 lights were all on due to ECM fault but not visible. I pulled the tape/foam off so they display again. Fortunately this was a primitive shade tree mechanic, easy to reverse/fix attempt to hide error lights. More importantly the digital mileage on the car looks correct corresponding with numerous car fax incremental mileage readings over time for registration, inspection, etc (including a very recent one).

My guess is that the dirt-bag trading the car in must have taped over the lights before they traded it in. The car was supposedly traded in at a Cadillac dealer in Pensacola Florida.

After paying for the ECM repair my seller trying to be a good guy also cut us a check for an additional $500 for costs involved in repairing gauge cluster and trouble shooting the ECM error codes. I still need to take the car back to Lexus to have VSC lights reset (hopefully just a ABS calibration reset) but I am hopefull that the $500 will cover.

The good news is that the car runs and drives extremely well so despite this initial mess we really like the car and it should be a good one going forward.

This adventure points out that buying a used car can be very risky. I am a very experienced used car buyer (old) and pretty car savvy guy that does a lot of work on my cars diy. I did not have the car inspected before purchase and that is something I have always done before but in this case did not do it becuse it would have been a little awkward and time consuming. When buying a used car it is extremely important to have it inspected by a Lexus or Toyota dealer and definitely have them check for stored error codes before you sign a contract.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 11-30-16 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 02:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

So glad she is fixed!!!

if it is only the VSC light, save your money and read this thread. So easy and takes five minutes and a paper clip.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...c430-help.html
Old 12-01-16, 05:10 AM
Jabberwock

Originally Posted by Bgw70
So glad she is fixed!!!

if it is only the VSC light, save your money and read this thread. So easy and takes five minutes and a paper clip.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...c430-help.html
Thanks for the info. I did order OBD plug on ebay and will create a VSC reset tool for future use. The folks at my local Lexus volunteered to scan the SC for errors and reset the VSC calibration at no charge now that the ECM has been repaired so in this case I will take them up on it to make sure the car has a 100% clean bill of health.

Next step is to get new tires on the car. I ordered Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ tires from Costco during their black Friday sale so I can get the 12 year old run flats off the car. I have installed an RX8 compact spare (ebay sourced) in the trunk.

Also this weekend I'll install an ebay sourced used Gen 4 Nav unit (with 2015 disk). I found one from Florida that looks to be in very good condition, many Nav units for sale on ebay look pretty rough.
Old 12-01-16, 06:56 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Thanks for the info. I did order OBD plug on ebay and will create a VSC reset tool for future use. The folks at my local Lexus volunteered to scan the SC for errors and reset the VSC calibration at no charge now that the ECM has been repaired so in this case I will take them up on it to make sure the car has a 100% clean bill of health.

Next step is to get new tires on the car. I ordered Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ tires from Costco during their black Friday sale so I can get the 12 year old run flats off the car. I have installed an RX8 compact spare (ebay sourced) in the trunk.

Also this weekend I'll install an ebay sourced used Gen 4 Nav unit (with 2015 disk). I found one from Florida that looks to be in very good condition, many Nav units for sale on ebay look pretty rough.
I would be interested in your driving report with the a/s 3+'s installed.

costco installed a three version by mistake on my 2008 which I drove for 900 miles.

finaally noticed the tires were not the super sports I had actually ordered.

the difference between the two tires was very noticeable to me.

the super sports eliminated the steering wander totally. Plus better on square edges on the ca freeways and steered better and were quieter and rode better.

Super sports are not an all season. Summer onlty.

I understand there is supposed to be a 4s coming to replace the super sports for all season use and better wear

Quick Reply: Faulty ECM - need some help