Clanging sound in L/F Suspension while Getting in the Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 07:52 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Hi Jdave,

We live right down the street from the Wayside Inn. I love their Boston Scrod and the real Hot Fudge Sundaes! If you are ever in the area, please reach out to me, It would be my pleasure!

tiglesias
If I ever am back in your area, I will gladly reach out and join you for a great meal there; I remember that is the name of the restaurant. Longfellow's house or some related history to him if I recall correctly?

Thanks very much for confirming this and delighted your noise is gone; soon I hope mine will be as well; I'm taking mine in within the next few weeks for a service at the dealer and will have this taken care of!

BGW70; thank YOU for the awesome tech. info and service manual instruction pages; gives any of us just the info we need to 'help' the dealer.

Such a great site and group of owners!
Old 08-24-16, 09:54 AM
sideswipe
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I experience this noise as well, under the very same conditions. Thanks for the explanation and the fix.
Old 09-25-16, 01:44 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Hi All,
Its been a while since my last post. I have been enjoying the 2010 SC430 very much. Since it was a certified car, my local lexus dealer has been trying to correct a suspension noise in the Left front that only occurs when getting in the vehicle after its been sitting for a least 4 hours. It would do it more in the summer when it is hot and dry. After unsuccessful outcomes, but not due to a lack of effort, I got my ACE assistant (my wife), and we spent the better part of four mornings with her getting in the vehicle while I was out under the car with my hand on a different suspension component each time to try to isolate the cause.

*****************We found it****************************
The mini link that has metal pivots on each end that connects the lower control arm to a sensor that tells the computer the position of the suspension was causing the noise, I took it out and found those mini joints to be very dry. I pried back the rubber boot on each end and squirted some silicone spray in them and reinstalled the link. Problem solved, noise gone.

AWESOME!! Now if someone could figure out how to remedy the brake pad snapping noise going from reverse to forward after backing up all the "noise" issues would be solved.

*****Further research******* The link part is only available from Lexus by getting the whole sensor and link Assy. Part #8940624050 $470.59. At these prices I suggest removing it, gently prying back the rubber seals and lubricating the pivot ***** with silicone spray and then re-installing it. It worked for us.

********Further Experience******** The silcone spray dries out due to the proximity of engine heat. I took the link out again and this time popped off the rubber seals of the pivot joints and lubed them up with "Never Seize" in the aerosol spray can. Popped the rubber boots back on reinstalled the part and now it is "all set". BTW, High pressure Never Seize spray does such a good job but made a mess of my bench, vice, shoes and pants, cover everything up you do not want "treated" LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiglesias
Tiglesias:

I had this done by my Lexus dealer last week and it absolutely fixed the noise. I had explained the fix to their diagnostic lead tech, and, he agreed to do it for an hour's labor ( $120.00); it worked fantastically and a noise bothering me for years is gone. Can't thank you enough for posting your fix.
Old 03-18-21, 02:42 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi JDAVE,
Its Tom the guy who helped you fix the mystery oil can sound in your SC! I sold my 2010 in 2017. Have since bought a 2004 Jaguar XK8 and a Factory ordered 2019 Dodge Challenger. Both are gone now for various reasons but I did miss the SC so I recently bought a 06 SC430 and 06 LS430. Do you still have your SC? Would love to chat if you are up for it.

Best,

Tom
The following users liked this post:
The Ikon (03-02-22)