SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How I keep my Car Ramps from Sliding

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 12:12 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 386 Posts
Default How I keep my Car Ramps from Sliding

I figured this out a couple years back and thought I'd share.

I am comfortable with a jack and jack stands, but I like car ramps for some jobs better (Like things that need more force i.e. removing exhaust bolts)

I HATE when the ramps move as you try to drive up them.

My solution is to go to Home Depot and buy 3 boards the same length (6ft is a good length) I use 2 x 6's that I found in the culled/discount wood rack, but could have use 2x 4's, or possibly 2 x 2's or 4 x 4's. They just had to be longer than my hood.

I put one of the boards along the wall of my carport/garage. I put the other two boards perpendicular and spaced the same length as my wheel span.

I put the ramps at the end of the boards and then drive my car close but not onto the ramps.

I get out of the car and make sure everything lines up an is even.

I get back in the car and proceed cautiously up the ramps.

I put the car in park and set the parking brake. I also put a block under the back wheel just in case.

I should probably mark the board that is up against the back wall so it will be quicker to line up the boards next time but never got around to it. The board is there so the other two boards don't go through the drywall in my carport. If I had a concrete step, I could probably skip the third board. The reason for a six foot board is so there is space for me to walk in front of my car.

Here is a picture to better explain how it works for me

Old 08-01-16, 06:19 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Yes, board braces work well. My biggest fear is making sure that I stop before going off the far end of the ramps. (Did that a long time ago with a different car. Recovery was not fun, neither were the results.)
Old 08-02-16, 09:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Yes, board braces work well. My biggest fear is making sure that I stop before going off the far end of the ramps. (Did that a long time ago with a different car. Recovery was not fun, neither were the results.)
If I were to do this inside my garage, and the fear of overshooting the ramps is real, I would add rear wheel stops.

A pair of 2x4 located exactly where it should stop the rear tires (add lines on floor to locate wood accurately every single time you need to use the ramps) and have the peace of mind that your car will not overshoot.
Old 08-02-16, 10:56 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 461 Likes on 386 Posts

Building on what Mandyfig said, you could also get some of these
parking stops parking stops

You can bump them with your bumper to know when to stop. You could put them on the 2x4's in a marked spot, so you know every time.

When I was much younger, I overshot my ramps. The sound of my car crashing down on the other side and the fear of what it did to my rocker panels was horrific. Luckily it didn't turn out too bad. I had a heck of a time getting the ramps out though (I think I had to jack up the car enough to pull them out.)

To this day I am still concerned about overshooting my ramps, but after a few times you get a sense of the ramps. I have the old metal ones, so first you have a steep drive up, the cresting and then the slight decline into the valley. Once you hit the decline you can lightly ease off the brake until the car stops on it's own.

The new plastic ramps are lighter, have a flat spot and a much bigger stop, which I assume is much harder to overshoot. YEA for new technology

Old 08-02-16, 01:05 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The rear wheel stops like Mandyfig suggests is a good idea, though it makes the ramps a bit more complex.

The challenge for a newbie to ramps is that you have to rev the engine enough to get up the reasonably steep slope of the ramps but then have to know when to abruptly stop. Looks easy but is tricky the first few times.
Old 08-02-16, 03:05 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 858 Likes on 689 Posts

Here is my technique,

Emergency brake on
put the car in low or first gear,
have my foot on the emergency brake pedal
give it a little gas, 2000-2500 RPMs
pull the E brake release handle and hold it in the released position.
now, gently adjust the E brake pedal with your foot and gently go up the ramps.
when I know I am at the top I will release the gas, place it in neutral and let the car settle on the ramp. Now I know it is centered.
Apply the E brake and block the rear wheels.

its like using a clutch...DONT ATTEMPT THIS if it sounds to complicated.

i do it this way and the ramps never slide on me because I am not using the front brakes.
when removing the car I repeat the process except I immediately place the car in neutral as soon as I am over the hump and slowly lower the car.
Old 08-03-16, 04:54 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Bgw70, you night have a good technique right there...