SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

engine Horse Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 12:38 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine Horse Power

Has anyone found any good products that wakes this engine up? This is my second SC430 love the look but the HP is what made me get rid of the first 1, I'm a little older now and I've slowed down some, but would still like a little more HP and pull. I'm considering a nitros dry kit tell me you thought please.
Old 07-24-16, 12:47 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Why would you buy a second SC knowing that the HP has not been increased and that is an issue to you?
Old 07-24-16, 01:00 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Have you already tried the various options (covered in several threads on this forum):
  • Resetting the ECU (either cycling the battery connection or going through the ECU reset procedure)
  • Placing the ECT switch in PWR
  • For 2005 and earlier (looks like you have a 2002, so it should work), you can pull the gear shift over to the left side and manually shift it through the gears
  • There is a transmission adjustment that can be made to make it more responsive
  • There is an aftermarket module that can be added that forces an earlier kick in of the engine for acceleration
Old 07-24-16, 01:34 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

@iolmaster maybe you didn't quite understand when I said I''m a little older now. I was in my 20's when I had the first SC. When I was younger I was into fast cars but with a modern look. The 2 cars I had in the early 2000's that I loved the look of but wasn't happy with the HP was the SC430 and a Prowler but neither car had many upgrades so I ended up getting rid of them. Now in my 40's I wanted to do a project car that I could pull out on Sundays or enjoy a ride with the top down, not necessarily a fast car. I'm not trying to race would just like a little more pick up and go when needed. I chose to do an SC when I found 1 at a great price. I bought this 1 in 2011 and did modifications in 2012. Lowered the suspension, custom exhaust, air intake, body kit, complete paint job, ostrich skin interior, Vertini staggered wheels, push to start with auto start, love the car and still gets attention as if it were new. So it was 14 years ago when I had the first 1

Last edited by TheGuye; 07-24-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-24-16, 01:48 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

Old 07-25-16, 09:26 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGuye
@iolmaster maybe you didn't quite understand when I said I''m a little older now. I was in my 20's when I had the first SC. When I was younger I was into fast cars but with a modern look. The 2 cars I had in the early 2000's that I loved the look of but wasn't happy with the HP was the SC430 and a Prowler but neither car had many upgrades so I ended up getting rid of them. Now in my 40's I wanted to do a project car that I could pull out on Sundays or enjoy a ride with the top down, not necessarily a fast car. I'm not trying to race would just like a little more pick up and go when needed. I chose to do an SC when I found 1 at a great price. I bought this 1 in 2011 and did modifications in 2012. Lowered the suspension, custom exhaust, air intake, body kit, complete paint job, ostrich skin interior, Vertini staggered wheels, push to start with auto start, love the car and still gets attention as if it were new. So it was 14 years ago when I had the first 1
You will happy following the tips from Harold57 .. Do the transmission pressure setting mod and drive using C-gate shifting.

If you want to do more large projects are to install the headers from PPE and the differential swap with the one off the Supra Mach IV TT - much larger cost and effort though.
Old 07-25-16, 02:15 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The ostrich leather is amazing
Old 07-25-16, 02:34 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexixel
The ostrich leather is amazing
Thanks I was sure about the Triple White but it turned out pretty nice
Old 07-25-16, 02:50 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Have you already tried the various options (covered in several threads on this forum):
  • Resetting the ECU (either cycling the battery connection or going through the ECU reset procedure)
  • Placing the ECT switch in PWR
  • For 2005 and earlier (looks like you have a 2002, so it should work), you can pull the gear shift over to the left side and manually shift it through the gears
  • There is a transmission adjustment that can be made to make it more responsive
  • There is an aftermarket module that can be added that forces an earlier kick in of the engine for acceleration
Thanks Harold, I hear you're the guy to talk to about the SC. You may be getting some questions from me soon. I've been doing a little research and found a twin turbo kit on http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/sc430.html tell me your thoughts please
Old 07-25-16, 03:02 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks Harold, I hear you're the guy to talk to about the SC. You may be getting some questions from me soon. I've been doing a little research and found a twin turbo kit on http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/sc430.html tell me your thoughts please
Well, not really. I've just been around here for a long time and have heard a lot of the solutions. The various engine and transmission mods have been done by several folks, but not me. I've only done the reset, PWR mode and manual shifting. So I'll have to stand aside on this request and let some of the experts who have experience with those sort of things chime in.
Old 07-25-16, 06:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
You will happy following the tips from Harold57 .. Do the transmission pressure setting mod and drive using C-gate shifting.

If you want to do more large projects are to install the headers from PPE and the differential swap with the one off the Supra Mach IV TT - much larger cost and effort though.
help me out here, where is the C-gate shifter on the 02 SC430?
Old 07-25-16, 06:31 PM
TheGuye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
help me out here, where is the C-gate shifter on the 02 SC430?
The C gate shifter is just manually shifting through the gears from one to drive
Old 07-26-16, 09:44 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

First and foremost, I recommend doing and ECU reset to clear previous driving style. Also,. think about cleaning out the throttle body. On my 2002, I've done a lot of upgrades (suspension, Supra Twin Turbo Big Brake Kit, electronics, etc) and a few engine mod upgrades. This includes Weapon-R Secret Weapon Cold Air Intake, the Sprint Booster Electronic Throttle Control, the Transmission Pressure Mod, 3rd Cat and resonator delete. Of these, the transmission pressure mod made the most difference. It really changes the launch off the line and instantaneous power to the wheels. I have also recently started driving in PWR mode and in the 4D position. Additionally, not sure if turning off the Traction Control changes anything in terms of acceleration, but I keep mine active. My gas MPG is about 17.9, and I'm running 20" wheels. The CAI and exhaust delete just adds more growl. Additionally, if you hate how "fat" and "loose" the rear handles, upgrade the sway bar to the ISF upgrade. Made a huge world of difference. I don't really recommend gate shifting after a few articles that I read that suspected engine damage, so I just don't do it. Personal preference. I also looked at a Dry Nos Kit while down in Shreveport, LA. Found lots of info that said that there's always the possibility of blowing the engine (less than a wet nos kit, of course). This fear can be partially remedied by changing to stronger pistons (vs OEM) with upgraded piston rings. I'm currently in the market for a single turbo. I will definitely follow up with the link you posted with the twin turbo. Good luck. Great looking car, for sure!

PS. to check out my mod list, click on the link below this post that says, "Check The Lex..." Also here.... https://www.drive2.ru/r/lexus/821132/

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-26-16 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-27-16, 05:40 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hi there. I have done a lot of performance mod and regularly drive my SC in road track performance events (HPDE, DE, PDX etc). I have the PPE headers and a custom exhaust and swapped the differential with the one from the Toyota Supra TT with LSD and higher gear ratio. I gained about 45 whp and great torque especially in 3rd; last I checked times at a drag strip had a 5.1 sec 0-60 and 13.9 sec 1/4 mile. That is not too fast but ok for the SC430. More power would be great but I wouldn't add a turbo without doing some engine work. The company link you posted show many engine upgrade components that you need to consider but the bill will run up. The OEM engine is not made for high HP. I would worry about the transmission too. For $10k you can get a track ready older M3 and keep your SC for fun in the sun and love it what it is. I will be looking for more of a track car newr the end of the year but don't I plan to sell the SC. There is a mod sheet picture of the Silver Bullet in my garage but it is a bit outdated.

good luck and have fun with the mods.

Old 07-27-16, 08:13 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

sorry guys but what is the transmission pressure mod?

Quick Reply: engine Horse Power