SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Takata airbag repair damages by service department

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 03:38 PM
HAlter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takata airbag repair damages by service department

My 2002 SC430 went in for the Takata airbag recall last week at Lexus On The Park in Toronto. They broke the ashtray mechanism which they reported to me and needed to order the replacement part from the US which I was ok with . Some days after the repair I tried to use the CD player which was in perfect working order before the airbag repair. I had left 3 commercial cd in the player and had not thought of removing them when the car was taken in . When I tried to use the CD player it would not play , would not eject or load and the display showed 6 CDs stored in the drive when I clearly knew there were three. I returned the car today and they removed the 3 stored CDs but would not assume responsibility for the issue saying they only disconnected and reconnected the unit after disconnecting the battery. They would remove the unit and send it to the US at a cost of at least $350 perhaps more or I could take the car to a Chinese Audio shop they had used in the past at my cost. I called them and they wanted $250 to look at it and could do so for 20 days. A call to Lexus customer service proved useless as they said the service manager at the dealership had the last say. The service manager said that my problem had made them realize that they must check for CDs in the unit and check that the player was in good working order prior to the repair. How did I get 3 CDs in the unit before if it wouldn't allow me to load CDs. My experience should be a wake up call for all of you taking your vehicles in for the recall. Go over the vehicle with the service advisor so they can't deny fault. If they broke my ashtray isn't it possible that they buggared my CD player too by creating faults by handling, removing and reconnecting it? I won't deal with Lexus On The Park again!! It's the radio or the cassette adapter and my IPhone . Bad experience for a repair that should be practiced before they work on the vehicles they are recalling. I guess they did me a favour by protecting my passengers from shrapnel at their expense. You can see the smoke coming out of my ears right now. Hope this saves others of you from this experience
Old 07-05-16, 04:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Welcome to CLub Lexus and sorry to hear about the issues. Since the stereo is now your problem, a possible fix can be found on this web site.

A checklist with recommendations to have the service writer acknowledge the condition of the car before work begins has been listed here. It also recommends taking pictures and videos of everything in working condition.

You may also have more damage that has not shown up yet.

Before you went, did you review the recall thread?
We even listed the Lexus dealership instructions on how the recall should be performed.

Did they provide a loaner car, full tank of gas, and offer to pick up your car?
It was all part of the recall.

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-05-16 at 04:04 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 04:06 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Sorry to hear about the problems (but welcome to the forum).

I gather that after they removed the CDs that the player still didn't work?

If not, you might try (or have them try) disconnecting the unit from power again and let it sit for several minutes and then reconnect it. If they buggered up the mechanisms removing the CDs this won't help but if something in the unit got confused, then a power cycle should reset it and allow it to start from scratch.

If the mechanisms are messed up, you might try taking it apart and reassembling it as shown by the video that Retroplay put on the forum recently.
Old 07-05-16, 04:07 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Here is the thread, post three has the recall information.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ag-recall.html
Old 07-05-16, 04:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Here's the video describing how to fix CD trays that have been misaligned (post # 21) along with some part information later in the post in case you need to order parts for the repair.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-repair-2.html
Old 07-06-16, 04:07 AM
HAlter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Takata airbag repair damages by service department continued

You are correct in that the CD unit does not function correctly now. The door for the CDs will not open to allow CDs to go in . It is locked out as it was after the airbag repair. It would have been impossible for me to have jammed the unit if they are trying to cover their asses by using that as an argument for not assuming responsibility for the error codes and lock out on the CD player. I saw a company on EBay that has s service to clear bad codes on Lexus 430sc head units but I wouldn't start to consider removing the unit myself for shipping. I will try finding an electronics shop in Toronto that may have a solution other than Hi Tech electronics which wants 3 weeks to even look at the repair. I'm sorry I didn't read the forum ahead of time to video record the functions of the unit before giving Lexus on the Park the car for the airbag repair but I am new to the forum. Hopefully my experience can be a lesson for everyone. My ability to vent here feels better at least and if it gets back to Lexus Canada Customer Service or if owners think twice about servicing their vehicles at Lexus on The Park then it has been a worthwhile learning experience.
Old 07-06-16, 03:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Some of the dealers have developed a technique of not removing the dashboard to replace the PASS Air bag. Obviously your dealer in Toronto is not aware of it.

I was lucky that my dealer was able to replace the airbag without damage.

And yes there were recommendations on what to do prior to leaving your car for this recall, due to the many instances of reported issues.

Pretty much document in detail the condition of the interior, including the operational function of the devices in the cabin, like the AC, Radio and CD player and of course the Roof top switch.

Good luck.

PS: My CD changer died a long time ago. I now enjoy streaming audio via Bluetooth using the $20 plug in Bluetrip.
Old 07-06-16, 08:29 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Some of the dealers have developed a technique of not removing the dashboard to replace the PASS Air bag. Obviously your dealer in Toronto is not aware of it.
I was lucky that my dealer was able to replace the airbag without damage.
The dealers love the "glove box" method since they are paid for the full dashboard removal but it takes a fraction of the time.
Old 07-07-16, 04:58 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

It is like win-win. Not all dealers are created equal.
Old 07-07-16, 05:01 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

If you want to remove your radio yourself, you can watch this video.

I thought it looked confusing, but it is really easy. I did not have a paddle and was still able to do it in less than 10 minutes. I just tugged at the stuff until it came loose
Old 07-07-16, 07:47 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sorry you had that problem, I have dealt with Lexus on the park in downtown Toronto..

bought my lexus gx460 from them with extensive warranty, which included even all sorts of wear and tear (leather, body, scratches)... until end of 2018 including bumper to bumper.. and rust protection and warranty until 2020.

The vehicle was only gone 40k km's and i got a decent deal on it but the front seats looked like they were from a car gone over 140k (really deep lines, and sign of very bad wear)... anyhow i was promised that everything would be fixed and since i have warranty they would replace if i wasn't happy etc and upon pick up it would be perfect ....

anyhow, i spent thousands of dollars on this warranty and when i picked it up there was no difference just shiny seats due to some leather cleaner they used and still the rust on one door sill which looked like crap, over all the vehicle was great condition. I was in rush so i had pointed it out and had to leave for my trip to the states, about 5 km down the road i noticed the windshield had a deep chip and rear brakes were making clunking noises.. I pull over to check, i noticed one full bolt is open about an inch on the rear caliper .. i went back, they started off by saying the windshield must have happened after i took the vehicle, im like seriously? I left 10 min ago with a very angry look on my face... they decided to replace windshield, and as for caliper bolt they got really nervous about that as i had taken a pic but tightened it and decided to offer me some free oil change services, i had to bring car back later for the windshield as i did not have time. but that's all i had to deal with, never got the chance to go back there.

Now later on my gx's trunk wouldn't close sometimes, then one day it swung open as i was driving and lights going off on my dash.. I took the car in to Lexus in Brampton and guess what? out of everything covered in this warranty apparently the trunk door actuator wasn't.. i was just like are you kidding me? this actuator was like 400 or something and i cud sue these f**** for it just swinging open like that, luckily i had nothing in trunk and no one close behind me.. I asked them what kind of warranty is this? there like sorry this part is just not covered in any of our warranties, etc..

dont get me wrong at all though the truck was amazing and there is nothing else as reliable and good.. i dont think anything else could ever really go wrong with it. it was a beast and handled really really well, specially in snow storms i would be flying through, i absolutely loved it. However im not really a fan of Lexus Dealerships and i feel they will say anything when selling you the car and im sure there are other brand dealerships that are like that, but owning bmw, mercedes and audi, I have never had any problems with dealers and this whole warranty deal really really pisses me off because it seems like you wont be covered for the only things that go wrong.

Anyhow i actually ended up trading the truck for a quattroporte, but i do miss it.

hopefully other people have better luck.

Last edited by 416tt; 07-07-16 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 07:36 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
sorry you had that problem, I have dealt with Lexus on the park in downtown Toronto..

bought my lexus gx460 from them with extensive warranty, which included even all sorts of wear and tear (leather, body, scratches)... until end of 2018 including bumper to bumper.. and rust protection and warranty until 2020.

The vehicle was only gone 40k km's and i got a decent deal on it but the front seats looked like they were from a car gone over 140k (really deep lines, and sign of very bad wear)... anyhow i was promised that everything would be fixed and since i have warranty they would replace if i wasn't happy etc and upon pick up it would be perfect ....

anyhow, i spent thousands of dollars on this warranty and when i picked it up there was no difference just shiny seats due to some leather cleaner they used and still the rust on one door sill which looked like crap, over all the vehicle was great condition. I was in rush so i had pointed it out and had to leave for my trip to the states, about 5 km down the road i noticed the windshield had a deep chip and rear brakes were making clunking noises.. I pull over to check, i noticed one full bolt is open about an inch on the rear caliper .. i went back, they started off by saying the windshield must have happened after i took the vehicle, im like seriously? I left 10 min ago with a very angry look on my face... they decided to replace windshield, and as for caliper bolt they got really nervous about that as i had taken a pic but tightened it and decided to offer me some free oil change services, i had to bring car back later for the windshield as i did not have time. but that's all i had to deal with, never got the chance to go back there.

Now later on my gx's trunk wouldn't close sometimes, then one day it swung open as i was driving and lights going off on my dash.. I took the car in to Lexus in Brampton and guess what? out of everything covered in this warranty apparently the trunk door actuator wasn't.. i was just like are you kidding me? this actuator was like 400 or something and i cud sue these f**** for it just swinging open like that, luckily i had nothing in trunk and no one close behind me.. I asked them what kind of warranty is this? there like sorry this part is just not covered in any of our warranties, etc..

dont get me wrong at all though the truck was amazing and there is nothing else as reliable and good.. i dont think anything else could ever really go wrong with it. it was a beast and handled really really well, specially in snow storms i would be flying through, i absolutely loved it. However im not really a fan of Lexus Dealerships and i feel they will say anything when selling you the car and im sure there are other brand dealerships that are like that, but owning bmw, mercedes and audi, I have never had any problems with dealers and this whole warranty deal really really pisses me off because it seems like you wont be covered for the only things that go wrong.

Anyhow i actually ended up trading the truck for a quattroporte, but i do miss it.

There was a TSB technical service bulletin on the truck actuator. I would of called Lexus Corp
Was your warranty a Lexus warranty or some after market
Old 07-08-16, 07:46 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
There was a TSB technical service bulletin on the truck actuator. I would of called Lexus Corp
Was your warranty a Lexus warranty or some after market
Oh i did not know that. It was a Lexus warranty full coverage plus the extra stuff. Certified.
Old 07-08-16, 07:56 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh i did not know that. It was a Lexus warranty full coverage plus the extra stuff. Certified.
Lexus platinum warranty and certified pre owned should of covered your issues I don't know when you sold the car and how long ago the issue happened. If you paid them for a covered issue they owe you

I had the platinum warranty which covers bumper to bumper excluding consumable brake pads and tires etc
Old 07-08-16, 10:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Any time you are buying a car and you verbally agree to any repair. You must get a written "we owe" statement detailing out what specifically they agreed to do. This should be in front of you before signing for the car. Then you both sign it with the other purchase agreements.

I have done this in the past. Once even with this they gave me a difficult time, but they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on. I received everything they owed me. If you don't do this 9 out of 10 times they will screw you in the name of profit.

Last edited by Coleroad; 07-08-16 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Takata airbag repair damages by service department