SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Lexus SC430 lost my only key

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 12:03 PM
Labbruzzin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus SC430 lost my only key

Dealership wants 650.00 to make, that includes 2.5 hours in labor😢 Anyway to save money ?? Is there another option ?
Old 06-20-16, 02:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

why would you only have one key key?

I have no solution other than Start calling locksmiths and hope you can find one that can look up your VIN, make a key and program...good luck.
Old 06-20-16, 02:47 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Call Sewell Lexus (former sponsor of this forum). I just wanted OEM replacement keys and their price was pretty fair. I had to send the VIN and proof of ownership.
Old 06-20-16, 04:29 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Do you have any kind of key? A valet key, or a wallet key?

I bought a car with only one key, the valet key.

I have access to Techstream so I bought a key off ebay. It was pretty amazing. I sent the guy a picture of my key and he laser cut me a key on a blank with a brand new fully functioning remote. It cost me a measly $45. He sent me directions on how to program the remote and how to program the key depending on my car's year.

It turns out that to use Techstream you need a key other than the valet key to program off of.

Since I did not have one, I contacted a local AAA locksmith (since I know they would do a lot of car issues) For $65 they added the key to my Immobilizer Module. It took them a long time, since the module makes you wait 30 minutes to make sure you are not a car thief but everything worked out fine.

It turned out REALLY well for me.

If I had the AAA Locksmith duplicate and program a key, it would have been $85.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 06-20-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 04:31 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

All the research I did taught me one important lesson.

Depending on the year of your car, you might get away with an Immobilizer Re-program. If it is an older car, then you have to replace the immobilizer and get new keys; I believe this is something that has to be done at the dealership.

Unfortunately I do not know the years for the re-program/replacement, but I think I found them on this site.
Old 06-20-16, 05:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
All the research I did taught me one important lesson.

Depending on the year of your car, you might get away with an Immobilizer Re-program. If it is an older car, then you have to replace the immobilizer and get new keys; I believe this is something that has to be done at the dealership.

Unfortunately I do not know the years for the re-program/replacement, but I think I found them on this site.
That's actually a great point that I hadn't thought of. Even if you get a key cut its not going to work unless you have a good key to use to teach the immobilizer. I guess that's why its $650.
Old 06-20-16, 10:17 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Look in the warranty and service guide book, page 70, if you lucky enough, the previous owner has recorded the key code or key number in there. The only way to make a duplicated key is from the actual keys, regular or valet, or from the key code or key number. Other than that, they have to go in the computer or replace it.
When I bough my SC, it came with just one key. The salesman at the dealer warned me about this. I purchased the blank key online and had it cut and programmed.
Old 06-21-16, 01:12 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Look in the warranty and service guide book, page 70, if you lucky enough, the previous owner has recorded the key code or key number in there. The only way to make a duplicated key is from the actual keys, regular or valet, or from the key code or key number. Other than that, they have to go in the computer or replace it.
When I bough my SC, it came with just one key. The salesman at the dealer warned me about this. I purchased the blank key online and had it cut and programmed.

I called the Lexus dealer in Orlando and he gave me the Key Code over the phone. They'll ask you to fax them your vehicle registration and a copy of your DL to ensure that it's actually you and not an auto thief. Then I sent that info to a key maker that I found on eBay along with a photo of the physical key and he cut an sent me a replacement.
Old 06-22-16, 06:42 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSifon
I called the Lexus dealer in Orlando and he gave me the Key Code over the phone. They'll ask you to fax them your vehicle registration and a copy of your DL to ensure that it's actually you and not an auto thief. Then I sent that info to a key maker that I found on eBay along with a photo of the physical key and he cut an sent me a replacement.
How were you able to program the key immobilizer with out a master key. I realize you can get the key cut by knowing the key code but you still need to program it ?
Old 06-22-16, 09:53 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

The Locksmith I used had a Toyota Specific tool/computer that allowed them to program the immobilizer without a master.

If you have a cut key that has not been programmed, you can still turn on the car, you just can't start it.

I think that is how they get the OBDII port to activate so they can program the immobilizer
Old 06-22-16, 01:06 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Default Trick Moves

It's been awhile but I remember I found instructions some where that went something like this, "Insert the key, turn to ACC, open drivers door and close it three times, Turn key to off then back to ACC . . .

Can't remember where I found them but they may have come with the key. It's been a long time. Also I dont know if I needed the original programmed key. There two programming things I had to do. The first programmed the key to allow it to start the car and the second set of maneuvers were to train the fob to open and lock the doors and trunk.

Just don't remember. I'll look around the office and see if the instructions there.
Old 06-22-16, 01:38 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

It's been awhile but I remember I found instructions some where that went something like this, "Insert the key, turn to ACC, open drivers door and close it three times, Turn key to off then back to ACC . . .

Can't remember where I found them but they may have come with the key. It's been a long time. Also I dont know if I needed the original programmed key. There two programming things I had to do. The first programmed the key to allow it to start the car and the second set of maneuvers were to train the fob to open and lock the doors and trunk.

Just don't remember. I'll look around the office and see if the instructions there.

I found the instructions for programming the FOB. Still looking for the instructions which allows the immobilizer to start the engine.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FOB Programming.pdf (602.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 06-22-16, 01:45 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Thanks ElSifon. That is good to have in our back pockets. Hopefully, we'll never need it though!

Here's one that I got years ago (just found). It has a few more instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Harold57; 06-22-16 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 01:50 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

I found the instructions for programming the FOB. Still looking for the instructions which allows the immobilizer to start the engine.

The instructions must have come by email. I can't find them anywhere but this is the guy I bought my replacement key and Fob from. He's very reasonable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRE-CUT-EASY-DIY-PROGRAM-3-BUTTON-FOB-REMOTE-KEY-w-PWR-TRUNK-Listed-models-02-C-/152138170422?hash=item236c244036
Old 06-22-16, 02:00 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

OK, I think this what I used to program the transponder chip in the new fob. It came from this Forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...mobilizer.html

Quick Reply: Lexus SC430 lost my only key