SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

6X9 Front Door Speaker Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 11:51 AM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6X9 Front Door Speaker Problems

Hoping someone can help me with this. I just have a couple of questions.

I repaired the drivers side door 6X9 speaker and it's working great. The foam had rotten away so it was rattling really bad.

Thought I would do the same to the passenger side but after reinstalling the speaker I'm not getting any sound at all. I figured that I probably will need to replace it but before I do that I have a couple of questions.

1. Could the problem be in the AMP? Could the AMP have failed in such a manner that only the Left Front 6X9 speaker wouldn't work?

2. Assuming that the AMP is OK, could the speaker still be repaired? These speakers go for $200 so if repairing them somehow is an option I would be willing to give it a try.

If all else fails, does anyone have a speaker they can sell. If it only needs the form outer ring I'd we willing to buy it at a fair price.
Old 06-14-16, 12:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

If the speaker makes no sound, the magnet wires may be broken, it happened to me.
I know I am not referring to it correctly...

Use a different speaker to verify the amp is still good.

eBay is a great source for used speakers. I repaired some and replaced others with used.
Old 06-14-16, 06:19 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Thanks BGW70. That's what I was thinking. That maybe one of the wire broke while the speaker was rattling about. I'll remove it tomorrow and see if it's repairable.

There's no way to check the signal going into the right side with out hooking up a known good speaker and the only good speaker I have is in the driver side door. Too much work just to check it.

If I can't find anything wrong with the speaker I guess I'll have to buy one.
Old 06-15-16, 06:31 PM
bones123
Driver School Candidate

Default Do a resistance check

If you have a multi meter you could just check the resistance of the speaker. Should be about 8ohms
Old 06-16-16, 05:03 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by bones123
If you have a multi meter you could just check the resistance of the speaker. Should be about 8ohms
That is not correct. Speakers are measured in "nominal impedance" not resistance. We have discussed this difference in other threads.
Old 06-16-16, 09:02 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

If you have a stereo, you could hook the speaker up to the amp to see if it plays. You can still check it with an ohm meter. If the ohm meter reads an open circuit, the speaker has a broken wire somewhere.
Old 06-16-16, 12:34 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

I finally got around to checking the speaker. I switched the driver side speaker to the passenger side and it worked. So then I checked the passenger side speaker and it looks like there is a break in one of the wires on the front side of the speaker. One of the two that's covered in a thick clear plastic. Anyone know the best way to fix this?
Old 06-16-16, 01:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ElSifon
I finally got around to checking the speaker. I switched the driver side speaker to the passenger side and it worked. So then I checked the passenger side speaker and it looks like there is a break in one of the wires on the front side of the speaker. One of the two that's covered in a thick clear plastic. Anyone know the best way to fix this?
Yes, replace the speaker. Here is one from eBay and it may only require a new foam kit. If the speaker still makes noise, then you can purchase a foam kit for $25.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-Mark-Levinson-Front-Door-Speaker-SC430-2002-2010-/301983875444?vxp=mtr
Also, I would offer the $30 if it makes noise.

Or you can spend $200 on a new Lexus speaker or take your changes with a 4ohm, like others have done.
Old 06-16-16, 01:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is another
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-86160-0W...EAAOSwzJ5XUO7Y
Old 06-16-16, 01:47 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Here is a new one
http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/l...160-0w420.html
Old 06-16-16, 02:47 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Default Fixed

Thanks for the help but I found a break in one of the two wires on the front side of the speaker. I carefully cut the clear plastic coating and soldered the broken ends. Then I covered the soldered repair with 5 second fix and cured it with the UV light. I popped the speaker into the door, plugged it in and BAM! It worked. Thanks for all your help. I would've nevet thought to look for a broken wire.
Old 06-16-16, 03:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

That is so awesome and glad to know you are good at these things!
Please stick around because you will be helpful to others!
Old 06-16-16, 04:05 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Default I will

Originally Posted by Bgw70
That is so awesome and glad to know you are good at these things!
Please stick around because you will be helpful to others!
I'll stick around. I've learned so much on this forum and YouTube. I've posted a three videos on YouTube that I'll be sharing on speaker phone
Repair and manufacturing door latch cables.
Old 06-16-16, 05:28 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Glad that you were able to simply repair your speaker Elsifon. You were fortunate that the break was in that wire rather than the voice coil, then again, you don't hear about the voice coils going bad very often, just the foam degradation. That is a weird break to occur though. Hard to imagine how that one came about.
Old 06-16-16, 05:37 PM
ElSifon
Driver School Candidate

Default Green Corrosion

Originally Posted by Harold57
Glad that you were able to simply repair your speaker Elsifon. You were fortunate that the break was in that wire rather than the voice coil, then again, you don't hear about the voice coils going bad very often, just the foam degradation. That is a weird break to occur though. Hard to imagine how that one came about.
It was weird. I only found it because there was a green dot where the break was. I'm guessing it was from corrosion. Green is the color of cooper rust. I'm assuming that it may have weaken from corrosion.

Quick Reply: 6X9 Front Door Speaker Problems