SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Fog LED and DRL Light replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-16, 01:14 PM
bjhille
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog LED and DRL Light replacement

I have done a lot of searching and all I have been able to do is official confuse myself even more.

My stock DRL/high beam lights officially died this weekend on my 06+ SC430. One side works fine, the other only works in high beam. Since I have to get my car inspected, this won't pass. I know I need to drop the bumper as I did when I replaced the turn signal bulbs, but I'm confused about what bulbs I should be getting. Since I have to drop the bumper for the DRL lights, I figured I should change the fog lights since I'm there.

Is there an LED Fog light replacement you'd recommend from iJDMToy?

What bulb would you put in for the DRL? I do not want to go LED as I actually do use my brights. I would like a whiter color to better match the headlights, if this is possible.

Thanks in advance for the help. You guys rock!

Brian
Old 06-06-16, 08:36 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I always use and recommend iJDMToy. The fog bulb is H3 so any H3 LED bulb should replace it without any issues. Just type in H3 in the search bar on IJDMToy,.com. Switching this bulb to LED won't throw a dash error light either. As for the 9005 DRL/highbeam, I can't give you any info in terms of best halogen bulb to match the Xenon Headlights, as I have LED's in my DRL/Highbeam location, so I've lost the High Beam function. Hope this makes sense. Good luck.
Old 06-06-16, 08:56 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DRL:

i didnt need to take my bumper off for DRL, just had to take out the intake/filter box on one side..

any one of these kits will due with the decoder:

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-Acura...Y&Search=Lexus

you can choose car model and it will tell you what setup you need, i think its R4 for all SC.

Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-captureled.png

they have changed there bulbs and listings.. I have the kit from like 3 years ago...
1) and it came with the SMD bulbs under 1) which you dont want.. they flicker at a very high rate, i dont know how to explain but if you stare at them you can see there is a very stable constant flicker,

2) so i replaced my bulbs with cob ones below and there solid, brighter..

1)smd dont get these
Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-capture-led-2.png

2)COB ones i replaced mine with these and they are great.. but ijdm now has newer bulbs, they may be good.
Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-capture-led-3.png

as for fog lights:

I bought these but there are 2 issues.. one will be with all conversions kits and that you wont get to close the cap as these bulbs have long back ends.. but should be ok if you have a good seal.. I mean i had them on my GX which has open slits.. took it through all kinds of weather.. car washes... bulbs are still great after 3 years..

second issue was specific to the bulb i bought which was

Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-capture-fog-led-3.png

get led conversion kit with small back like this:

Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-capture-fog-led-4.png

Led conversion kits are very bright.. i used them for fogs on my gx.. ill post a pic soon.

Last edited by 416tt; 06-06-16 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 09:04 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Bimmer, but with the DRL/HighBeam LED upgrade, won't he still lose the high beam function? I believe that's what he was implying... that he wanted to keep the HighBeam function. Thus I didn't make a recommendation for that bulb, per se.
Old 06-06-16, 09:12 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Bimmer, but with the DRL/HighBeam LED upgrade, won't he still lose the high beam function? I believe that's what he was implying... that he wanted to keep the HighBeam function. Thus I didn't make a recommendation for that bulb, per se.
oh yes sorry, i forgot to address that actually

I dont know of any good regular bulbs you can get but i do know you can actually get LED conversion kits which have high/lo feature... I didnt use that however as i dont use my high beams so these normal kits are fine for me.

with my led kit from IJDM i am still able to flash them when they are off when lowbeams/headlights are on at night... i use it to just signal people for example at stop signs if i want them to go first
Old 06-06-16, 09:15 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

something like this will function as hi/lo like normal halogen bulbs but MUCH MUCH brighter..

http://www.xenonhids.com/dual-beam-h...light-kit.html

you can find kits like these on ebay for cheaper avoid COB in led conversion kits..
Old 06-06-16, 09:20 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bimmer416
oh yes sorry, i forgot to address that actually

I dont know of any good regular bulbs you can get but i do know you can actually get LED conversion kits which have high/lo feature... I didnt use that however as i dont use my high beams so these normal kits are fine for me.

with my led kit from IJDM i am still able to flash them when they are off when lowbeams/headlights are on at night... i use it to just signal people for example at stop signs if i want them to go first
Yes, exactly how I use mine. Just to signal other people. But hard reality is that they serve no true visibility function at night vs normal halogen high beams. From my understanding, this is due to the fact the LED's don't have directional light like normal halogens which travel a longer distance. Therefore, halogens can give a concentrated "beam" of light, vs LED's that have a wide spread of light with shorter distance. Brighter, yes, due to it's concentration per quantity of LEDs but not a greater beam for distance. Please forgive my very "lay" method of explanation. I'm sure one of the professors will chime in with a scientific explanation. :-)
Old 06-06-16, 09:34 AM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Yes, exactly how I use mine. Just to signal other people. But hard reality is that they serve no true visibility function at night vs normal halogen high beams. From my understanding, this is due to the fact the LED's don't have directional light like normal halogens which travel a longer distance. Therefore, halogens can give a concentrated "beam" of light, vs LED's that have a wide spread of light with shorter distance. Brighter, yes, due to it's concentration per quantity of LEDs but not a greater beam for distance. Please forgive my very "lay" method of explanation. I'm sure one of the professors will chime in with a scientific explanation. :-)
that's interesting, makes sense actually.

in hi/lo led conversion kits i have seen that they will have multiple leds.. only one side of the bulb will be lit when highbeam is not activated.. But when you turn high beam on.. bulb is lit on all sides
Old 06-06-16, 10:34 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

This got me off my rump to install the ones I bought awhile back. They are 100w xenon gas filled halogen bulbs. 6000K. I wish I had taken a picture when I had only one side done. They match the hid bulb when on high beam. During drl they still are on the yellow side but not as yellow as the original bulbs. I would say a fifty percent improvement on drl.
Attached Thumbnails Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-image.jpeg  
Old 06-06-16, 10:38 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Oh yeah, I changed them without removing the bumper. It was pretty easy. I removed the intake box for the right side. The left side I took off the two nuts and one bolt the holds down the cpu box. I didn't remove it . It just gave me enough room to push it aside.

Last edited by Coleroad; 06-06-16 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-06-16, 12:42 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Here are the bulbs I got from rockauto.
Attached Thumbnails Fog LED and DRL Light replacement-image.jpeg  
Old 06-06-16, 02:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I have replaced my old DRLs with the Philips Whites and still would get some of the yellow effect on DRL.

I have disabled the DRL and have installed Strip LED’s. I hooked it up on an ignition ON circuit. They act as my DRL’s. And at night it is full on as well, which actually complement the HIDs.
Old 06-06-16, 02:49 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Let the flaming begin...my LED DRL's....

Name:  DRL_zpsnirj62ff.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  68.5 KB
Old 06-12-16, 07:55 PM
AndySC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello SC430 owners. I have a 2003 SC430 and I love this car. I just want to change the running yellow dim lights to one that matches the OEM HID light that came with it. Any suggestions?

Also, the fog lights have the same dim/yellow color. I want it to match the OEM HID light as well. Let me know what I need to get please? Thank you so much!
Old 06-27-16, 06:37 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fogs

So, I totally don't mind the contrast between my original incandescent DRLs and the aftermarket LEDs. The contrast especially serves the intended function of getting the attention of other roadway users.

I would like to replace the OEM incandescent H3 fog lights with LEDs for a closer match between the fogs and LED DRLs.

StillLine

Last edited by StillLine; 06-27-16 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Fog LED and DRL Light replacement