SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Techstream

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 03:23 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

scarletti,
i didn't see your post, prior to my previous one. I'll give your instructions a try.

Many thanks...
Old 07-21-16, 07:20 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech Stream Received - Install not working too well

Ok, purchase arrived two days ago.

Fired up my 2002 Dell with XP on it.

Opened the disk:

Read through Install instructions:

Ran Both install programs:

Got all the icons on the desktop. That's where the problems started.

After about 4 installs and subsequent removals the TIS program just will not open. Starting TIS from either the desktop or from Start - All Programs menu doesn't make any difference. It activates, but that's it, no screens displayed. Cable program opens fine. Ordered the same package as recommended by Scarletti on 7/1/16 (thanks for the info), but I can't get it to run. Maybe I should change the compatibility setting to Windows 95? Must admit I am a tad rusty on installs. My last real experience was on the OS2 team in Austin back in '97. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-21-16, 08:41 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Best to check if the "Cable" and Windows are talking first of all. This will ensure the driver is loaded correctly and that the "cable" is working (or more to the point the embedded microcontroller in the cable).

Run the utility FirmwareUpdateTool.exe which will be in a subdirectory with a name such as c:\Program Files\XHorse Electronics\MVCI Driver for TOYOTA TIS

If you see populated fields with sensible information (exact values may vary) then the basics are correct:

Report back on how you get on!
Old 07-21-16, 05:17 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Read this, see if any of the codes help, also, NEVER try to perform any type of online update, etc.

Here are my files, half are manuals etc

This is the cable driver.

If you go to this website, they will help.

Old 07-23-16, 10:37 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I got a cheap cable a couple of weeks ago. Didn't manage to get it to work. Today, after an hour of trials and failures I've got it to work on a 64 bit system.

The thing is that the Mini VCI driver on the disc that came with the cable wasn't working. I downloaded another one (same version number, 2.0.1, but the creation date is one day later) and followed the instructions on the internet and it worked.
Old 07-23-16, 06:19 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexixel
I got a cheap cable a couple of weeks ago. Didn't manage to get it to work. Today, after an hour of trials and failures I've got it to work on a 64 bit system.

The thing is that the Mini VCI driver on the disc that came with the cable wasn't working. I downloaded another one (same version number, 2.0.1, but the creation date is one day later) and followed the instructions on the internet and it worked.
i am so happy for you! Great job! Now you can perform all of those functions right at home at no charge. No driving to the dealer so they can tell you it will be US$150 just to run a diagnostic.

please share the link where you found the driver that did work...it might be very helpful to someone. It's your way of giving back to the group.
Old 07-24-16, 05:16 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i am so happy for you! Great job! Now you can perform all of those functions right at home at no charge. No driving to the dealer so they can tell you it will be US$150 just to run a diagnostic.

please share the link where you found the driver that did work...it might be very helpful to someone. It's your way of giving back to the group.
Thanks! I followed this one (on the first page of results when googling <Mini-VCI driver Windows 7>) http://blog.obd365.com/2014/03/10/ho...ows-78-64-bit/

Just use their MVCI driver and follow their steps should do.

For the registry thing, someone compiled the lines in a file (you can do it yourself, too) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

For Techstream, there're newer versions available everywhere on the internet.

The cheap cable did trigger VSC / VSC Off lights. I followed these steps to clear them with a paper clip https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post4437022

Old 08-04-16, 07:44 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Default Cable recognized, but will not open on old XP

So, after deleting almost all other programs from my old Dell I tried once again to install and run the TechStream No problem with the cable, it is connected and recognized, but the Techstream program just will not
open. After many more attempts and more messing with the laptop I remembered my old Acer mini, running XP Home edition that had not been used in years. I figure, what the heck, and gave that a try. This time the
​the cable worked fine, and the Techstream program actually started. The processor is very slow and internet connections not good at all. I attempted registering it and running updates, but that was not working well.
However, I'm thinking that my Dell laptop has something on it preventing Techstream from running, since it did work on my Acer XP Home edition machine. The plan now is to either look for another laptop running XP or a cheap
more modern 64 bit machine, or get a copy of XP and reinstall it on the Dell after wiping and reformatting the hard drive. Hope springs eternal.
Old 08-04-16, 09:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

When you say registering and updating, I hope you mean the laptop.

DO NOT attempt to register or update techstream or the cable...it is not required. If you do, you may make it inoperable.
Old 08-05-16, 04:51 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Didn't get that far on the mini, and on the laptop it never opened.
Old 08-05-16, 07:21 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexixel
Thanks! I followed this one (on the first page of results when googling <Mini-VCI driver Windows 7>) http://blog.obd365.com/2014/03/10/ho...ows-78-64-bit/

Just use their MVCI driver and follow their steps should do.

For the registry thing, someone compiled the lines in a file (you can do it yourself, too) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

For Techstream, there're newer versions available everywhere on the internet.

The cheap cable did trigger VSC / VSC Off lights. I followed these steps to clear them with a paper clip https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ml#post4437022
if you can solder, I put this together to replace the paper clip. I can install it without looking.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...c430-help.html
Old 08-10-16, 10:21 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Default Thanks for all the help and tips

Last night a friend of mine donated an ancient HP Laptop with Win XP Pro on it to my cause. An hour later Techstream was up and running. Checked out the car today
got 4 codes and a messages about battery voltage. Two AC codes B1421 and B1424 Two Gateway codes B1247 and B1261. Not sure how to get code definitions, but will try,
I'm thinking some of above are caused by the disconnected TPMS. We'll see. Thanks to everyone for their input. Mike D.
Old 04-02-17, 09:27 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I can get techstream to connect to my 2003 sc430 but it doesn't see any of the systems or data or anything. I'm using this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221720133329...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-02-17, 10:12 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

Link's dead.
Old 04-03-17, 09:07 AM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Link's dead.
I think the forum doesn't let you post fee-bay links. I've got the 2.0.4 firmware version that supposedly has the proper protocol for communicating with older toyot/lexus models like the 2003.

Quick Reply: Techstream