SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Warning Lights On

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 04:12 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warning Lights On

On Saturday the VSC On, VSC, and Check Engine lights came on simultaneously in my wife's 2003 SC430., They are still on. They are not flashing. The car runs fine, and there is no other indication of any problems. I called the dealer on Saturday when it first happened. They told me that this particular combination of lights being on often means there is a problem with the gas cap. So I made sure it was tight. It was. I loosened it and retightened it to be sure. The dealer told me it could take up to 50 miles of driving to reset the lights if what I did corrected the problem. It's been well over 50 miles and the lights are still on. We have an appointment for this coming Saturday where the dealer will do a diagnostic test to see what is happening. Has anyone seen this particular issue before (all three lights on at the same time)? If so, what was the problem?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-25-16, 04:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Hi Mike,
Save some money and take it to autozone or one of the other parts stores and they will check the codes for free.
Write the code down and report back here. You could run out and do it now, if you have time.
Those lights can come on for many reasons but you need the code to narrow it down.
Good luck!
Old 04-25-16, 04:51 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Thanks Bgw70. I'll find the nearest Autozone store and get that code. I appreciate the information.
Old 04-26-16, 10:21 AM
bhop
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want buy a new gas cap and try that. The seal on the old one could be shot. They are pretty inexpensive and you should be able to buy at auto zone while getting your codes run...just a thought. it solved it for me on an old GS300 one of our kids was driving.
Old 04-26-16, 12:14 PM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Have had same issue for two years now - "oxygen sensor" is result of running the codes. No issues running with the lights on except the lights being on - which doesn't bother us.
Old 04-26-16, 12:36 PM
ebear695
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ISSUE for me and my 02 with the same lights, gas cap replaced (probably not the problem), but eventually had to replace all the vac hoses having to deal with the evap system, first it was the vac line being pulled off caused by the engine movement due to worn engine mounts, the solved the prob for about one yrs then replacemtn of the hoses was req. no more lights
Old 04-27-16, 05:23 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Today I went to Autozone to have them pull the diagnostic code. They can no longer do that for you in California. They were sued by the Bureau of Automotive Repair. Another one of the advantages? of living in California! Well, I found out that Aamco will do it for free. So they pulled code P0051. Which could be several things. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a more thorough diagnosis. I checked with a couple of the local Toyota dealers and they were only about $15 less than my Lexus dealer to do the diagnosis. Since my Lexus dealer will give me a loaner, I'm going to use them. Got an appointment for this Saturday. They will credit me the diagnosis fee if I have the work done.
Old 04-27-16, 05:39 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This one is pretty simple, you need an O2 sensor. Codes can sometimes point to one thing, but be another, not so much with this one.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0051

Last edited by Bgw70; 04-27-16 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 05:46 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
This one is pretty simple, you need an O2 sensor. Codes can sometimes point to one thing but be another but not so much with this one.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0051
+1. It is sensor one on bank two. It's not that bad of a job to do yourself.
Old 04-28-16, 07:36 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Bgw70: Thanks for the link. It does say that there can be multiple causes for the trouble code, including a failed ECM, wiring problems in addition to the 02 sensor. But this arms me with good knowledge heading into the dealer. I will say that my dealer is very honest and reputable. They never recommend things that don't need doing and they have always treated me well. Hopefully, it's only the 02 sensor.
Old 04-28-16, 09:33 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

MDames2,

"+1. It is sensor one on bank two. It's not that bad of a job to do yourself."

This O2 sensor is so easy to replace. If you are not savvy, just take it to a shop and tell them to replace the sensor.

Big chance that this is your only issue. At least start here. Do not do anything else other that this 1st step.

Good luck.
Old 04-28-16, 09:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I recently replaced a BANK 2 Sensor 2 which is post CAT Converter, it was hard but with patience got it done.

The Sensor 1's are pre-CAT, just below the exhaust and can be see from the engine bay.
Old 05-02-16, 01:05 PM
MDames2
Lead Lap

I called the Lexus dealer and asked how much to replace the Bank 2 Sensor 1. I was told $572! It was two hours of labor at $159 per, and $274 for the sensor. So I called a local garage who quoted me $215 if it was the left sensor and $255 if it was the right sensor. This is for a Denso OE equivalent part. They just called me and tried to upsell me. They said that at 90K miles (my car has a little more than that) all of the O2 sensors should be replaced as part of the Lexus maintenance place. Has anyone heard of this? From what I've read, if you regularly and properly maintain the car and use a good quality gasoline (I use Chevron) the O2 sensors can last the life of the vehicle.
Old 05-02-16, 01:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Only replace what is broken and since they tried to upswell you, I would take my car to another shop...just my opinion.
Old 05-04-16, 10:14 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Even though the shop tried to upsell me they didn't push hard. So I had them replace only the O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 1 on the right side. That fixed it. You guys gave me the confidence that I could do only that and get a good result. And that is what I got. It saved me $300 to use this shop versus my Lexus dealer. I'm happy, my wife's happy. So all's good. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply: Warning Lights On