SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Warranty for an SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 07:47 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an extended warranty on my wife's 2003 SC430. Actually, we had two. The first was the CPO warranty from Lexus. I paid around $1,800 for it. It covered a failed strut tower, the TPMS sensors and a few other non-major items. However, The total cost to repair these things was a little over $3,000. So that warranty was worth it. The second warranty was with Mercury Insurance co. They are very good California auto insurance company. I bought their mechanical breakdown insurance. It covered the Nav system and the motors for the top. Although the Nav and top have never given me problems, we did use this warranty to pay for trunk strut replacements, a new driver's side windshield visor, and a failed brake booster. These things cost more than $3,000 total over the 3 year warranty period. I paid less than half of that for the policy.

These cars are great. My wife's car has 113,000 miles on it, and it still runs like new and looks great. But when something does go wrong, even minor things, they are quite expensive to repair. I would definitely take the deal you have for the warranty policy
Old 04-28-16, 07:50 AM
ruger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
Thanks for the advice! I guess I don't see much potential downside to the warranty. I can change my mind in the first 30 days for a full refund, and if I decide down the road that I don't need it, I'd be eligible for a full (pro-rated) refund. It works out to $33 per month for the coverage.

The warranty is also fully transferrable, so if I decide to sell the car at some point, it might be a strong selling point. Funny to think that a 10 year old luxury car could be under a full warranty for 6 years for $33 a month.

I think I'll go for it...
What company are you going with for the warranty? thanks ruger
Old 04-28-16, 07:54 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ruger
What company are you going with for the warranty? thanks ruger
It's called "Mechanical Protection Plan," and you can view info on the company at www.mpp.com. Due to my car's low miles, I'm able to do their full "Platinum" coverage for another 6 years/60K miles. I'll probably only put around 4K miles per year on the car, but 6 years worth of coverage on a 10 year old car is a good thing.
Old 04-28-16, 09:19 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will cop to having bought an extended warranty on our 2007 SC430, even though we don't usually buy extended warranties, either. We were lucky to skate in and still be able to get a Lexus Platinum 5-year warranty, and I sleep much better at night knowing we have it. My husband says we WILL drive that car enough in five years to pay for that warranty, haha!
Old 06-17-17, 10:05 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hey everyone. So I wanted to revive this thread and see what people think or if the consensus has changed. I'm thinking about diving into a 5 yr extended warranty. I have a 2002 with 57k miles. Only minor issues thus far: serpentine belt, battery, speakers, rims/tires, windshield replacement, Also, have not done the timing belt/water pump. With having a 15 year old vehicle, I've started to worry about something more catastrophic. I plan to keep this car for my entire life, honestly. I contacted two companies and have only heard from one: CarShield. I asked a lot of questions. In the end they offered me a comprehensive warranty for $3885 (paid over 24mo without interest, which covers car for 5 yrs- $165 down, $155 per mo), which covers bumper to bumper and all work is eligible at Lexus Dealerships; mechanical and electrical. There is a $100 deductible for every instance needing repair. Warranty includes top failure and any electrical or engine component but DOES NOT cover anything that is considered routine/general maintenance (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, windshield (d/t crack), etc) or aftermarket items. I did not ask about diagnostic fees, TPMS, NAV, or the Timing Belt/Water Pump (preventative), but I will. With that being said, I'm still in the process of trying to diagnose an A/C problem that PepBoys has said is a expansion valve problem (a proposed $95 fix) if I DIY/DIM through the "above-the-gas pedal route" with the help of a personal friend who just opened a shop. (Hopefully nothing more devious, and if so I probably wouldn't choose to report it to the company and maybe get a repair later if it's high dollar after a few months of making my payment- please don't judge me.) I'm still waiting on another company called ToCo to return my call. Does anyone have another companies I should look into? I will try the MPP listed previously. Or if anyone has any personal experience, or anything to add to their previous post after their initial thoughts above? Thanks in advance. Hope to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 06-17-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-17-17, 12:46 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I would not do it. If you save the money you will have it to use if there is a failure. The convertible top can be expensive but you have skills and what ever goes wrong its usually a motor or sensor. I had bought my car new and bought the three year lexus extended warranty 0 deductible and I never got to use it once what a waste of money that was .
The following users liked this post:
ShawnOk (06-19-17)
Old 06-17-17, 06:05 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I wouldn't do it either. I pay $1,284 AU.($820) US. yearly to Insure my Home, which is valued at $900,000 AU. ($600,000) US. & that covers just about everything.
I'm under the impression that they are a really good & reliable car. What I would do is maybe change the Timing Belt & Water Pump seeing that it's a 2002.
At the end of the day it's your Car & Money, hopefully you make the right decision for yourself.

Chris......From OZ.
ShawnOk (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 02:20 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

Warranty includes top failure and any electrical or engine component but DOES NOT cover anything that is considered routine/general maintenance (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, windshield (d/t crack), etc) or aftermarket items.
Since the TB/WP is part of the Lexus recommended service you will probably have to pay for this yourself. Well worth it for peace of mind. But I don't think you need a warranty. My SC430 has almost twice the mileage as yours and I wasn't even worried when I purchased it. If they would have offered a warranty I would have passed. In the first 5 years I owned my GS I never used the warranty except for a battery lol. These cars are unbelievably reliable. You probably won't have much go wrong if you keep up with your general maintenance.
ShawnOk (06-19-17)
Old 06-19-17, 09:43 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Hey everyone. So I wanted to revive this thread and see what people think or if the consensus has changed. I'm thinking about diving into a 5 yr extended warranty. I have a 2002 with 57k miles. Only minor issues thus far: serpentine belt, battery, speakers, rims/tires, windshield replacement, Also, have not done the timing belt/water pump. With having a 15 year old vehicle, I've started to worry about something more catastrophic. I plan to keep this car for my entire life, honestly. I contacted two companies and have only heard from one: CarShield. I asked a lot of questions. In the end they offered me a comprehensive warranty for $3885 (paid over 24mo without interest, which covers car for 5 yrs- $165 down, $155 per mo), which covers bumper to bumper and all work is eligible at Lexus Dealerships; mechanical and electrical. There is a $100 deductible for every instance needing repair. Warranty includes top failure and any electrical or engine component but DOES NOT cover anything that is considered routine/general maintenance (pads, rotors, fluids, tires, windshield (d/t crack), etc) or aftermarket items. I did not ask about diagnostic fees, TPMS, NAV, or the Timing Belt/Water Pump (preventative), but I will. With that being said, I'm still in the process of trying to diagnose an A/C problem that PepBoys has said is a expansion valve problem (a proposed $95 fix) if I DIY/DIM through the "above-the-gas pedal route" with the help of a personal friend who just opened a shop. (Hopefully nothing more devious, and if so I probably wouldn't choose to report it to the company and maybe get a repair later if it's high dollar after a few months of making my payment- please don't judge me.) I'm still waiting on another company called ToCo to return my call. Does anyone have another companies I should look into? I will try the MPP listed previously. Or if anyone has any personal experience, or anything to add to their previous post after their initial thoughts above? Thanks in advance. Hope to hear your thoughts and suggestions.
my 02 with 65K is still rock solid so these cars do indeed last if well cared for; they just don't break with normal driving. however, if you can afford the $ for a warranty and it gives you that 'sleep at night' reassurance, why not buy one? I believe in warranties on expensive items for that peace of mind feeling; if it helps decrease a worry, it's worth the money whether you use it or not.
ShawnOk (06-19-17)