SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Warranty for an SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-16, 11:31 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Warranty for an SC430?

I think I know what the general consensus will be, but I thought I'd ask the forum for their thoughts regarding the likely benefits to be had in purchasing an aftermarket warranty for a 2006 SC430.

I'm about to pick up my "new" SC430, a 2006 model that was owned by an elderly couple, who have both passed away, The car has spent 99% of its life in a garage, with only 18K total miles on the car right now. It appears from the Lexus service history that the car was regularly serviced (based on mileage, not years),

The Lexus dealer here says there's no option to purchase a Lexus Platinum warranty for the car, since it's over 9 years old, but they have a third party warranty company they've been associated with for over 30 years that would be willing to offer a pretty decent warranty on the car.

Since the miles are so low, their company will do a 6-year, 60K mile extended bumper-to-bumper warranty (with a $100 deductible) for a total cost of $1980.

I'm not much on warranties normally, especially for cars as reliable as the SC430, but it does intrigue me somewhat to have a car that is still fully warranted up to 16 years old. The price isn't bad, and the Lexus dealer says they've had excellent results with this particular company covering repairs over the past 30 years.

So what does everyone think? Any likelihood of getting $2K worth of work done over the next 6 yerars? I'll only put 3-4K miles per year on this car, and will be very diligent with servicing it of course. I do have a great relationship with an independent shop that does great work on my Lexus vehicles for a fraction of what the dealer charges.

Opinions please... Thanks!
Old 04-14-16, 04:19 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I would definitely be scratching my head about this deal. I'm like you about not buying "extra extended warranties", but this really isn't a bad deal. I would ask if their bumper to bumper includes the roof also.I asked this,because I remember some years back, another member bought a "bumper to bumper" warranty for his Sc. He had an issue with the top & they told him it wasn't included in his warranty. I did buy an "extended warranty" for my Sc when I purchased it, because I was afraid of all the electronics & top failure, but never had an issue or used the warranty. I might bite & buy the warranty, it'll cover a 10yr old car,for another 6yrs. These cars are rock solid,but like everything else,things do break sometimes
Old 04-14-16, 04:37 PM
ruger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a 2004 with 27k miles but cost me 2400 for 6 years 60000 miles...There is a number of things they dont cover but still worth it if you blow and engine or something major.....
Old 04-14-16, 09:37 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Mine 07 has 57000 miles on it. I bough the extended warranty for 4 years, 48,000 miles, 1200 bucks

Not sure if I ever use it but it's for peace of mind
Old 04-15-16, 05:19 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

With an after market warranty...I would be more concerned of what it doesn't cover. Most likely it only covers stuff that rarely breaks....engine...tranny...driveline etc...and not the stuff that gets expensive to fix...ie electronics.
Old 04-15-16, 05:49 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I would definitely be scratching my head about this deal. I'm like you about not buying "extra extended warranties", but this really isn't a bad deal. I would ask if their bumper to bumper includes the roof also.I asked this,because I remember some years back, another member bought a "bumper to bumper" warranty for his Sc. He had an issue with the top & they told him it wasn't included in his warranty. I did buy an "extended warranty" for my Sc when I purchased it, because I was afraid of all the electronics & top failure, but never had an issue or used the warranty. I might bite & buy the warranty, it'll cover a 10yr old car,for another 6yrs. These cars are rock solid,but like everything else,things do break sometimes
Thanks for the advice, everyone! So I'm surprised to learn that some of you have gone ahead and purchased the extended warranty for their SC. I almost always reflexively say "NO" to these warranties, but like Texsexlex says, this really isn't a bad deal (as long as it truly is a "bumper to bumper" warranty covering the electronics and top). I can't see needing any engine work in 6 years, but I could definitely see having an issue with the top mechanism, or having one or more of the speakers go bad, or the ML amp giving up. I could also foresee the possibility of a strut leaking or a control arm bushing wearing out.

I'll read the fine print to see what is excluded before I make a decision. Thanks to all for your opinions. If there are any other thoughts out there from the forum members, please add your voice to this conversation. Thanks!
Old 04-17-16, 07:12 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Also check out the online reviews for the after market warranty company. Some make it a bear to process a claim. Check with your local service adviser at the dealership if they have processed claims with this warranty company. Everybody knows working with Lexus or Toyota Financial Services is pretty easy but who knows with after market companies ?
Old 04-18-16, 10:40 AM
tjbranch
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actual Experience with an after market warranty

Originally Posted by riknchar
I think I know what the general consensus will be, but I thought I'd ask the forum for their thoughts regarding the likely benefits to be had in purchasing an aftermarket warranty for a 2006 SC430.

I'm about to pick up my "new" SC430, a 2006 model that was owned by an elderly couple, who have both passed away, The car has spent 99% of its life in a garage, with only 18K total miles on the car right now. It appears from the Lexus service history that the car was regularly serviced (based on mileage, not years),

The Lexus dealer here says there's no option to purchase a Lexus Platinum warranty for the car, since it's over 9 years old, but they have a third party warranty company they've been associated with for over 30 years that would be willing to offer a pretty decent warranty on the car.

Since the miles are so low, their company will do a 6-year, 60K mile extended bumper-to-bumper warranty (with a $100 deductible) for a total cost of $1980.

I'm not much on warranties normally, especially for cars as reliable as the SC430, but it does intrigue me somewhat to have a car that is still fully warranted up to 16 years old. The price isn't bad, and the Lexus dealer says they've had excellent results with this particular company covering repairs over the past 30 years.

So what does everyone think? Any likelihood of getting $2K worth of work done over the next 6 yerars? I'll only put 3-4K miles per year on this car, and will be very diligent with servicing it of course. I do have a great relationship with an independent shop that does great work on my Lexus vehicles for a fraction of what the dealer charges.

Opinions please... Thanks!
After lurking as a voyeur for the past couple of years there's finally an opportunity to contribute.
When I purchased my stunning 2004 Rocket with 59,000 miles on it the love affair began. However, within weeks the convertible top motor died. The Members Choice Platinum warranty that I purchased through my credit union for $1780 covered the motors and subsequently the trunk lid struts, speakers and lower ball joints. Needless to say, the cost has been recovered big time. Good Luck!!!
Old 04-19-16, 09:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

....welcome to the board Tj......and your first post was definitely a good,informative one
Old 04-20-16, 05:27 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When they say bumper to bumper does that cover things like replacing the tire pressure sensors when the battery goes. I'm at the pint where my sensors are needing to be replaced and it's about $250 per wheel.
Old 04-20-16, 01:49 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
When they say bumper to bumper does that cover things like replacing the tire pressure sensors when the battery goes. I'm at the pint where my sensors are needing to be replaced and it's about $250 per wheel.
Doubt it. They are a consumable with a finite lifespan (even thought it's ~10 years).

In the UK/EU they start at ~$250 or so for a set of 4.

Remember to ask for the "date of manufacture". They could have been sitting on a shelf for nine of those ten years!

I took mine out on last tyre changes. I will probably get a new set on the next set change, I do miss the feature!

(but remember they only alert you when pressure drops to about 1/3rd of normal pressures... very low threshold).
Old 04-27-16, 11:28 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I'm still somewhat on the fence as to whether to purchase the extended warranty contract on my 2006 SC430 or not. The one that is being sold through my Lexus dealer is a 3rd party warranty being offered by "The Mechanic," and it's called "Mechanical Protection Plan" if you google it. This company gets generally very good reviews, seems to be very professional and about as legitimate as any of these companies, and has an A+ rating via BBB. I spoke with the service advisors at Lexus, and they confirm they've had very good luck having claims processed through this company, and would definitely be comfortable recommending them.

The price is $1980 for a 6-year, 60K mile "Platinum" extended plan. I'm really not sure I'd use $2k worth of warranty work over the next 6 years, but I do think the peace of mind I'd have with a warranty may actually improve my enjoyment of the car. For example, I wouldn't worry at all about raising and lowering the top multiple times per day, knowing I'm covered if the motors wear out. I wouldn't sweat cranking up the stereo, knowing that the Amp and speakers are covered if they blow. My fear about the front suspension bushings cracking due to age and lack of use would be gone.

Any other thoughts from the forum? I have until the end of the month to make a final decision... Thanks!
Old 04-27-16, 11:04 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...I still think I would go for it, even though I don't usually buy extended warranties for any purchases. It's just that "extra peace of mind" for a car thats 10yrs old & to know it's basically covered for another 6yrs/60k miles.
Old 04-28-16, 06:41 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...I still think I would go for it, even though I don't usually buy extended warranties for any purchases. It's just that "extra peace of mind" for a car thats 10yrs old & to know it's basically covered for another 6yrs/60k miles.
Thanks for the advice! I guess I don't see much potential downside to the warranty. I can change my mind in the first 30 days for a full refund, and if I decide down the road that I don't need it, I'd be eligible for a full (pro-rated) refund. It works out to $33 per month for the coverage.

The warranty is also fully transferrable, so if I decide to sell the car at some point, it might be a strong selling point. Funny to think that a 10 year old luxury car could be under a full warranty for 6 years for $33 a month.

I think I'll go for it...
Old 04-28-16, 06:43 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I did ask the question as to whether or not the TPMS sensors were covered. My Lexus dealer was going to check with the warranty company today to get a definitive answer, but it didn't seem like the contract mentioned that TPMS sensors were not covered, and they are definitely not considered "Maintenance Items" (as listed in the Maintenance Schedule published by Lexus). I'm sure that one or more of the TPMS sensors will die over the next 6 years (due to battery age).

Quick Reply: Warranty for an SC430?