SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

PPE Headers not CARB approved

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-16, 10:07 AM
taisho
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PPE Headers not CARB approved

So, after some reassurance from PPE that the headers would pass smog in California, I took my SC430 to get it smogged yesterday due to the biennial DMV smog letter.

I take it in to a local smog center and apparently the headers do not have the CARB approved EO number. Therefore, my car does not pass smog.Just a heads up to anyone in California looking to buy PPE headers for their SC430 to stay away if you're not mechanically inclined.

Update: I emailed sales and the rep. said that he has spoken with a CARB certification company in the past and the company said it should pass California smog. Because, the headers do not replace the stock catalytic converters and retain the stock header location. I will go to my buddies shop and hopefully have this issue sorted out. Also, I agree you flowrider as when I had back and forth emails with PPE, they seemed very upfront and honest.

Last edited by taisho; 04-04-16 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Update from PPE Sales
Old 04-04-16, 11:08 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,282 Posts

I am attaching a link to the PPE Page describing your headers:

http://www.ppeengineering.com/produc.../gsscandls.php

On the bottom of the description it clearly states:

49 state emissions legal when used with stock catalytic converters!
Over the years I have found PPE to be a very truthful company and upfront with it's customers. I'm sure you must have misunderstood them.

So Sorry for your issues.

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 11:44 AM
taisho
Rookie

Thank you for your kind condolences, hahah!

Yeah, I did my fair research too and I tried to make sure that PPE headers would pass smog. I did not decide one day to impulse buy these headers as the parts and installation are pretty hefty. Maybe the smog shop wanted me to come back in and charge me twice to have the PPE removed and factory headers installed.

Who knows, I take my car in tomorrow and will update y'all.

Originally Posted by flowrider
I am attaching a link to the PPE Page describing your headers:

http://www.ppeengineering.com/produc.../gsscandls.php

On the bottom of the description it clearly states:

Over the years I have found PPE to be a very truthful company and upfront with it's customers. I'm sure you must have misunderstood them.

So Sorry for your issues.

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 01:43 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

If you still have issues and still have your cats installed and have no CEL, you may want to try another smog facility. You should pass the sniffer without issue, but if your tester does a visual, he will find the headers, and as you say, they are not CARB approved. Another inspector might overlook (or look the other way) the headers.

The CARB approval process is a very long, tedious and expensive one and not really a viable option for a supplier of aftermarket parts that are only used on a small amount of vehicles, like your SC430 or my ISF. The outlook is much better for a vehicle, like say my Silverado, a very large volume vehicle.

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 02:24 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taisho
So, after some reassurance from PPE that the headers would pass smog in California, I took my SC430 to get it smogged yesterday due to the biennial DMV smog letter.

I take it in to a local smog center and apparently the headers do not have the CARB approved EO number. Therefore, my car does not pass smog.Just a heads up to anyone in California looking to buy PPE headers for their SC430 to stay away if you're not mechanically inclined.

Update: I emailed sales and the rep. said that he has spoken with a CARB certification company in the past and the company said it should pass California smog. Because, the headers do not replace the stock catalytic converters and retain the stock header location. I will go to my buddies shop and hopefully have this issue sorted out. Also, I agree you flowrider as when I had back and forth emails with PPE, they seemed very upfront and honest.
I'm not a lawyer or an expert but my understanding is it's illegal for them to have sold them to anyone in California unless clearly represented as for off road use. That includes ANYONE from the manufacturer to a shop or mail order company or an ebay seller. I don't know if a shop that installs them has liability but I would think they might. So I'm not suggesting you call a lawyer, that would be silly in my book, but the people you bought them from should refund your money UNLESS they were marked for offroad only or not for use in California. Again, not being a lawyer, there's a thing call merchantability for fitness or something like that. You can't sell someone something they will not he allowed touse or does not work as intended or represented. If worse comes to worse, you might mention the fines for selling non CARB approved stuff is a big deal in California. Keep us updated.
Old 04-04-16, 02:45 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

^^^^Did you not read my Post No. 2 - Above Again - In PPE's listing on their site it clearly states:

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 03:07 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

^^^^Did you not read my Post No. 2 - Above Again - In PPE's listing on their site it clearly states:

Lou
I didn't. I apologize. This is a pet peeve of mine that cost me over $3k once.
Old 04-04-16, 03:39 PM
taisho
Rookie

Yeah, my buddy's shop took off the heatshield on the factory headers. My guess is that if the heatshield was still present it would pass the visual test. Anyways, I have confidence that my buddy will be able to pass smog. I wouldn't sacrifice the air quality to gain a few extra horsepower and to annoy onlookers. CATs are all still intact. I only deleted the resonators and replaced the exhaust.

If you still have issues and still have your cats installed and have no CEL, you may want to try another smog facility. You should pass the sniffer without issue, but if your tester does a visual, he will find the headers, and as you say, they are not CARB approved. Another inspector might overlook (or look the other way) the headers.

The CARB approval process is a very long, tedious and expensive one and not really a viable option for a supplier of aftermarket parts that are only used on a small amount of vehicles, like your SC430 or my ISF. The outlook is much better for a vehicle, like say my Silverado, a very large volume vehicle.

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 03:43 PM
taisho
Rookie

The 50th state must be California.

Lou
Old 04-04-16, 04:22 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Yeah, my buddy's shop took off the heatshield on the factory headers. My guess is that if the heatshield was still present it would pass the visual test. Anyways, I have confidence that my buddy will be able to pass smog. I wouldn't sacrifice the air quality to gain a few extra horsepower and to annoy onlookers. CATs are all still intact. I only deleted the resonators and replaced the exhaust.
Hope it works out. Let us know!
Old 04-06-16, 09:00 AM
taisho
Rookie

My buddy was able to have my car pass the smog test.

Total cost was $115. It's nice to know someone too.
Old 04-06-16, 11:15 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

So Glad it worked out for you

Lou
Old 04-07-16, 11:47 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

California has some of the most strict emissions laws. Even if it doesn't remove the cats if anything is modified before the cats it'll need a carb sticker. Just gotta do what you did and find a smog shop that will over look the visual inspection.
Old 05-24-16, 08:14 PM
Mark
Intermediate

My buddy was able to have my car pass the smog test.

Total cost was $115. It's nice to know someone too.
What's your opinion on the headers? How does it sound and perform?
Old 05-25-16, 11:52 AM
taisho
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mark
What's your opinion on the headers? How does it sound and perform?
It performs very well. I get a slight drone at 1500rpm, but after that it just purrrrrs.

I've had the headers for some time now...just have been a bit lazy to record the sound. I currently have the PPE Headers, deleted resonators and Borla mufflers.

Quick Reply: PPE Headers not CARB approved