SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 - VSC and Engine Lights on - Should I purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-16, 08:52 PM
Yani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 - VSC and Engine Lights on - Should I purchase?

I am considering purchasing a 2002 SC430 in a very good condition, from a private party. The car is preserved really nice from the outside and the inside. It has 110K miles and we negotiated the price to $10K(from the original asking price of $12K).

The only problem with the car are the VSC and Check Engine lights - which are both on. The owner (which seems very trustworthy) says the VSC lit few years ago and he took it to the dealership. He says they told him the VSC is working ok and it's just a false warning. Same goes to the check engine light - he says nothing is wrong and that it started after a recent battery change.

I'm not very familiar with these cars (and my knowledge in cars in general is pretty poor) but I am planning to take it to an inspection before purchasing.

I have the following questions:
1. Are these lights a big NO NO or the story makes sense and those could be just false warnings? If not - is the VSC a major expensive problem or I could continue driving the car with this light on as is?
2. Where is the best place to test the car - could I take it to a Lexus/Toyota dealership to test if those are real problems (as well as do an engine test,transmission, etc)? If so - what should be a reasonable cost? (the alternative is taking it to a general $100 mechanic inspection)

Thanks everyone for the help!
Old 04-03-16, 10:36 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...although both lights may be on & there is no affect to the car, this is something that should be addressed by the seller. I would have it checked out @ a reliable mechanic, but at the seller's expense, before purchasing.
Old 04-04-16, 05:47 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

If they were on falsely they would have reset them. I would find out what the problem really is or walk away. It isn't the only sc430 out there.
Old 04-04-16, 08:11 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CEL can be expensive and damaging ...

A check engine light can indicate a failure which is a minor annoyance, or one that is difficult and expensive to fix and could cause damage to the engine or catalytic converters.
If I'm not mistaken, the VSC light comes on any time the CEL comes on. That's my Highlander experience anyway, YMMV.
Have your tester check the codes to see what the problem is, then factor the repair expense into your offer.
No way I would buy a car with a CEL without knowing what the problem was.
I don't buy the "false warning" story, even if a Lexus dealer said so.
Old 04-04-16, 08:40 AM
Yani
Driver School Candidate

Thank you guys for the answers. Much appreciated!
I will definitely checked it with bigger scrutiny now.

Do you know if I should take the car to a Lexus/Toyota dealership to get it tested? or should a general inspection be good enough?

Thanks again!
Old 04-04-16, 09:07 AM
texsexlex
Racer

...if you're going to pay for the inspection, I would take it to an auto parts store that reads codes for free (Autozone,etc..), this way you can get a general idea of what the problem is. If you have a trusted mechanic, that would be even better, he might read the codes & not charge you anything....at least mine wouldn't. If the seller is paying for the inspection, I would take it to a mechanic that specialized in Toyota/Lexus or the dealership. If the seller is saying that the codes are false, then this shouldn't be a problem for him/her to do (in my opinion) & have them reset. It may be nothing wrong with the car, it may be a simple fix or it may be a major issue. I'm with Cole also, this isn't the only Sc430 out there,especially if the seller isn't trying to fix the issue
Old 04-04-16, 09:16 AM
Yani
Driver School Candidate

Thanks texsexlex!

I agree, it's definitely not the only one and I have no problem walking away from the deal if there is a problem.

I will call to the local Lexus/Toyota dealership and see if they can provide inspection.
The way I see it - I was anyway planning to put up to a a $100 into inspecting any car I'd purchase, so if they can do it at the dealership then that would be optimal.

jrfiero - is it common that both of those lights turn on together?

Thanks again.
Old 04-04-16, 09:45 AM
texsexlex
Racer

....maybe some other members will chime in, but if I remember correctly, sometimes a obd scanner/reader will produce these warning lights. There is a topic about this & some of the members have made a tool or used a paperclip procedure to clear the lights. Either way, I would still have it checked out before possibly purchasing the car. Do a search of the Vsc/Cel lights & some of the discussions should pop up
Old 04-04-16, 11:09 AM
Yani
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
....maybe some other members will chime in, but if I remember correctly, sometimes a obd scanner/reader will produce these warning lights. There is a topic about this & some of the members have made a tool or used a paperclip procedure to clear the lights. Either way, I would still have it checked out before possibly purchasing the car. Do a search of the Vsc/Cel lights & some of the discussions should pop up
Thanks. I've searched other posts and some say the the VSC light will always be on when the CEL light is on since the VSC depends on the engine and when engine is not 100% VSC light can turn on as well.

Will definitely get it checked before buying!
Old 04-05-16, 05:52 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Yani
Thanks. I've searched other posts and some say the the VSC light will always be on when the CEL light is on since the VSC depends on the engine and when engine is not 100% VSC light can turn on as well.

Will definitely get it checked before buying!
In Feb I had similar, the vacuum hose was out, hooked back in, took few days/miles for the engine light to go off then the neighbor helped to reset the VSC light. did not cost me a penny!
Old 04-05-16, 06:18 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Prasha
In Feb I had similar, the vacuum hose was out, hooked back in, took few days/miles for the engine light to go off then the neighbor helped to reset the VSC light. did not cost me a penny!
Was it this hose on the drivers side? If so this usually get worked off because of excessive motor movement from bad motor mounts.

This picture courtesy of jasone36
Attached Images  

Last edited by Coleroad; 04-05-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-05-16, 06:22 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Another picture from my car further out. It's the hose under the green tag that I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails SC430 - VSC and Engine Lights on - Should I purchase?-image.jpeg  
Old 04-06-16, 09:04 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Getting a Toyota mechanic check the car out is a value add process. I would assume it will involve the deciphering of the CEL and VSC lights issue.

CEL and VSC Lights can be triggered by an OBD connector. As we have experienced in many occasions here, they can be cleared with a very simple process.

The point though is to make sure that the root cause of the lights is not a REAL issue and was just caused by an OBDII scanner.

You can do a search and will find many postings on CEL and VSC lights.

Good luck on quest to be an SC430 owner and if you do get it, post your pic.
Old 04-07-16, 11:11 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Mandy wrote there's a very easy trick to reset the ECU using a paper clip in the OBDC port but usually the VCS OFF light is also on. You can explain the trip or print out the procedure and have the owner do it and have him drive the car a bit to see if it comes back on. Then I would wait to have her m drive it more miles. When you come back you can check if's off and also that it wasnt just reset - there are emission vales in memory that take a few miles (>20 aprox) to be valid.

If these lights don't go away something is wrong and I wouldnt consider that car.
Old 04-07-16, 07:46 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

1. Key off
2. Paper clip in OBDII CONNECTOR pins 4&14.
3. Key on, engine off
4. VSC will blink very fast
5. Key off
6. Remove paper clip.

Go drive car, if no lights, you may be good to go.
If someone has the connector pic, please post.

The connector is under the drivers dash in front of your right shin as you are sitting in the drivers seat.

Quick Reply: SC430 - VSC and Engine Lights on - Should I purchase?