SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2jzgte Motor swap time for the Neiman Marcus sc430

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 11:09 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
This is very nice mod, I wonder if anyone has ever installed an LS1 into the SC430, guess it would make it an SC570! ;-)
....thats a discussion that my mechanic & I have been having; just in case something happened to my stock motor...
Old 05-24-16, 08:46 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - good choice for an engine swap !
Old 06-24-16, 09:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I see you checking out this swap Gerrb, can you do it first so I can copy you lol, it all seems so straight forward except for the canbus part... gotta be a fix out there for that though besides running 2 ecu's worst case is what I am thinking.
Old 06-24-16, 03:18 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

^^^ lmaol, I need to complete my 2jzgte SC collection. Planning to give up one out of the four 2jzgte SC so I can get a clean white SC430 shell and work on a 2jzgte 6 speed swap. I don't think it will be hard buddy . Let's go for it !
Old 06-30-16, 08:34 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I feel a couple write-up's coming soon =)
Old 06-30-16, 11:52 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Would love to see some Dyno numbers and track times on this build. :-)
Old 06-19-17, 10:53 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Vietpr1nce, so any update on those Dyno numbers? I see we're part of the same FB groups! You're getting a lot of love on there! So in the end, what would you say the total swap ran you? How many miles did the 2JZ and tranny have on it before the drop?
Old 02-17-18, 12:10 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This turned out awesome, I would like more details on the ECU setup, I wonder if the aristo ABS control module would fix the VSC and cruise issue
Old 02-25-18, 12:35 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Updates? Would love to see some videos
Old 01-13-21, 12:41 PM
benzsc430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is there u can let us know how much u spend and detail so we can start working our sc430 swap to 2JZGTE please.. i planning buy all new parts to swap it.. but not sure using manual trans 5 speed or 6 speed CD9 or auto JDM & computer control etc......
Old 01-13-21, 08:13 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to do this same swap as well with the 6 speed Supra trans... everything hooked up normally so the dashboard works, with AC, and all. But I figured I would get a larger turbo on it and get a tune, so it would be capable of between 500-600hp while being completely streetable and reliable. A lot of people take a vacation in Florida for a week, and leave their SC430 at this shop apparently and then when its done, they have the car ready with everything ironed out including tune, and they drive it back home normally. I live in California so there is no way in hell I could get away with this. There is a guy who works at that mentioned shop in Florida which specializes in this, and his car is on Youtube with a 5 or 6 speed manual trans, Supra or Aristo engine with a large single turbo and nice intercooler, and its pushing 735hp and is on Youtube.. its pretty wild when you get on it, and boost kicks in and looks like it would be a ton of fun, but if you drive it normally it will feel like a normal car and have the same Toyota/Lexus level of reliability these SC430's came with.

I took my 2006 SC430 for a smog today, and it failed visual again this time, because the 3rd cat is missing. When I asked them to take the resonator off, for some reason they yanked the damn 3rd cat converter. I had the car tested after and it passed at a star smog station, but they did a full visual and passed it. Just a month before they failed the visual because I had a weapon R intake they did not like. I took it off and put on stock airbox and it was fine. Fast forward a year ahead and I take it to the same guy to smog, and he "notices" the missing cat this time - he actually said that there are supposed to be 2 rear cats, but I checked and the car has 3 coming from the factory. If I need to put the 3rd cat on again, I am hoping the lack of resonator wont cause any more visual inspection problems. I am so tired of this bull**** in CA... my car was running completely clean and does not pollute - everything else passed which is ridiculous. I could understand if the car was polluting, but its all clean.

One of these days I need to move the **** out of CA.. everything here is so much more difficult, and much more expensive!! I am beyond frustrated... I have an extra engine/trans from my 2009 parts car that got totaled and I kept it. I wanted to built the engine up with lots of head and intake work, cams, longer rods and changing out all internals for forged parts - pretty sure if its done right it should be able to gain at least 50-60hp, but then with the tune needed to run this properly, my car will never smog in Los Angeles.

Last edited by SC430fun; 01-13-21 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-14-21, 09:27 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

EDIT - My apologies.. I thought my post before this I typed up last night did not end up posting!

I have an extra 4.3 V8 on an engine stand from my wrecked 2009 SC430.. I have studied the engine and transmission closely since it was put on the stand in 2016 and made a list of things to do if I were to squeeze more power out of it. It involved extensive porting and polishing of the heads, valve work, a set of cams which is pricey (suprastore.com), honed intake manifold, and forged internals. I had the idea of using the longer rods in the 4.7 engine, but those are also weak so its only ok if I were to do an NA build which I am pretty sure is capable of 360hp or more possibly of course with a good tune. The only reason I never moved forward with this and I am still stuck on first base, is because this all requires a custom tune, and thats not doable in CA.. as it is, I am facing a battle right now to smog the car just because the 3rd cat and my resonator is missing which is beyond ridiculous considering the car is not polluting and it only failed the visual inspection.

The other option is to use the rods out of the earlier 90's 4.0 engine (shown on Lextreme) and get some forged pistons and a few other odds and ends to beef the 4.3 up and then it can be supercharged or a turbo installed. But even with the better rods and pistons, the block will not be happy and could break if you approach 500hp or possibly less because the cylinder bores are larger than the 4.0. Nelson Racing Engines did a GS400 years ago and setup a custom turbo and the car was making something like 800hp and that sounds awesome. I am guessing its possible because the 4.0 has smaller bores, even though the blocks are very close to being the same from my understanding. Unfortunately we are somewhat limited with these engines..

The supercharger kits that were available for our cars were pricey, and were limited to around 400hp because the stock internals could not handle it, but also the transmission will not handle it well at all. It turns into a super expensive and ridiculous process because of these limitations.. there are bellhousing adapters they sell for the 4.0 and 4.3 that allows you to mount a Toyota 5 speed manual, or an Infiniti 6 speed manual of which some years were able to handle literally 1000hp because they are so damn stout.

With the 2JZ swap... it makes sense.. I prefer the sound of a V8 especially with forced induction. But you have some serious potential with the 3.0 Supra engine, and you can use an auto or manual trans which will hold up to this level of power better than our stock 5 or 6 speed auto transmissions. The shop in Florida that does this swap, literally goes through the 2JZ engines - they dont even rebuild them. They just change the seals and freshen them up. Most never even have the head taken off as long as compression is good. Its such an incredibly good design.. I think personally it was foolish for Toyota to not spiff up the older 2JZ or make a newer version and call it a 3JZ or something. As you can see in my signature, I have a BMW and thought its a 2.0 turbo, it has the same 8 speed ZF auto transmission which is a bit finnicky but its very stout at least. But the rest of the BMW stuff is a serious pain in the ****ing ***.. still a sexy car, but I prefer the older Supra's.. If I were to get a 2JZ swap I would prefer something with a smaller quick spooling turbo that kicks in at low RPM's that puts out something like 450-500hp.

I recognize the builder - he has an 02 SC430 with the 2JZ swap and 735 rear wheel hp and a 5 speed manual, but it looks like his turbo kicks in later than I would prefer on mine if I had one.. People have driven across multi0ple states to Florida to vacation for a week and leave their car with this guy, and they drive back home with a finely tuned 2JZ powered beast.. The link to the video is below.

I talked to an engine builder, and I have come to the conclusion that the only way I will be able to legally make power in my SC430 with either the 4.3 V8 engine or a 2JZ swap is if I move out of CA. So if I never end up leaving CA, the other option is to leave my SC430 mostly stock, and play with the 4.6 Teksid Cobra (intec) engine in my Mark VIII since the engine internals are stout enough and people are running 600hp on stock internals with just a blower and not doing anything else.. although being that the engine was used in the Mustang, its easy to see why there is a bigger demand for it. People are even swapping 6 speed manuals in, and some of these supercharger kits are actually CA legal which means they more or less bribed the California Air Resources Board.

Last edited by SC430fun; 01-14-21 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-15-21, 04:04 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Love to have a ls460 engine and trans shoe horned into our Sc.

Anyone?
Old 01-15-21, 04:14 PM
SC430fun
Pit Crew

Someone a while back had claimed to install a Tundra 5.7 engine, and they were planning on using the TRD Blower with it. I saw a rough video of the car driving a short distance with no hood, headlights, bumper, and they stated they were still working out the many bugs with it. Is the 5.7 physically a very big engine? I have a 4.6 32 valve Teksid Cobra engine in my Mark VIII LSC which they came with stock, and its physically huge and apparently the new Ford Godzilla 7.3 V8 is actually not as wide since its a regular old school style engine. I can imagine the Toyota 5.7 being much taller and wider than the 4.3, but I wonder how much. I can imagine a transplant of this engine in an SC430 would probably have to make modifications to the frame and possibly firewall!