SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Gauge / Radio / climate control Backlight Question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-16, 12:16 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SC430 Gauge / Radio / climate control Backlight Question?

Just picked up a pretty nice 2002 sc430 today. On the drive home I realized all the dash backLights are not lighting up. However the The radio and climate control unit do have a dim backlight working but is stuck at one level of illumination.

Like most cars the all dash lights should be very bright during the day and when you turn on the headlights they should all Dim down. ..... Not on this SC.

Makes no difference what position the headlight switch is in....Nothing changes or lights up
and
The little Dimmer **** does nothing either when turned all the way one way or the other.

Anyone have any ideas?? Fuses? Im not sure what to try.

Thanks
Old 02-23-16, 12:31 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by dirkdiggle
Just picked up a pretty nice 2002 sc430 today. On the drive home I realized all the dash backLights are not lighting up. However the The radio and climate control unit do have a dim backlight working but is stuck at one level of illumination.

Like most cars the all dash lights should be very bright during the day and when you turn on the headlights they should all Dim down. ..... Not on this SC.

Makes no difference what position the headlight switch is in....Nothing changes or lights up
and
The little Dimmer **** does nothing either when turned all the way one way or the other.

Anyone have any ideas?? Fuses? Im not sure what to try.

Thanks
Pop out the dimmer **** and disconnect it and it should default to the brightest setting. If the lights get brighter, you have a bad dimmer switch.
Old 02-23-16, 01:57 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Either wait for darkness or put it in a dark garage to be sure you have a problem.
Old 02-24-16, 02:47 PM
dirkdiggle
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. fixed it. Was the Dimmer switch that was broken.
Old 02-24-16, 03:34 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Did you replace it or fix it?
Old 02-24-16, 05:14 PM
JDaveSC430
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

On my 2002, the dash pod back lights are non existent during the day; and gauges are harder to read. At night they work as they should; on later years they made the dash pod lights much brighter during daytime.

Are you saying you fixed something with the dimmer switch that makes them brighter during the day without headlights on in normal driving?

Dealer had always told me Lexus just screwed up and didn't install bright back lights until maybe the 05 or 06 years.

thanks!
Dave H.
Old 12-15-16, 08:59 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi, just bought 04 SC430 and same issue with dash lights not bright enough. I suspect that dimmer switch as it does nothing when turned. How do you pop it out as someone mentioned to disconnect? Also has anybody bought one through Toyota part number for less money if I need to replace and if so Toyota part #?
Thanks!
Old 12-15-16, 11:30 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you look on eBay? There are several used one there. I can not help with the install though.
Old 12-15-16, 01:36 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BCT
Have you look on eBay? There are several used one there. I can not help with the install though.
It just pops out. Use a small trim tool and get under one edge of the plastic surrounding the trimmer. The clips are on the sides, but no special trick, just pry it out. Then unplug it. That will default to the brightest setting as if you turned it until it clicks.

And they are very cheap on ebay. Just search SC430 dimmer
Old 12-16-16, 03:11 PM
foreste1
Pit Crew

Ok great! Thank you guys! I am figuring I always want it on the brightest setting, so maybe just disconnect and leave disconnected and it should stay at full brightness, correct? Otherwise will buy one on ebay as suggested.
Old 12-16-16, 03:44 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by foreste1
Ok great! Thank you guys! I am figuring I always want it on the brightest setting, so maybe just disconnect and leave disconnected and it should stay at full brightness, correct? Otherwise will buy one on ebay as suggested.
Yes. The disadvantage is that your NAV display won't auto-dim at night.
Old 12-17-16, 08:01 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

The brightness on the instruments is also controlled by a round plastic light sensor located on the passenger side top of the dash near windshield. Covering the sensor will make the car think its dark outside and brighten the gauge cluster however it likely also dims the NAV system. It might be possible to rig a toggle switch to defeat (or enable) just the light sensor signal going to the gauge cluster and not the other lighted items like NAV, if this could be done it might be possible to have the gauge cluster lights up during daylight without affecting the NAV and other lights.
Old 12-20-16, 08:31 AM
foreste1
Pit Crew

This is weird, I did reply a few days ago but its not here. I wanted to tell you guys I did pop out dimmer and it started working again, so all is good, thanks!!
Old 12-20-16, 04:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

That's good to hear foreste1, I'm glad that you got it working. It probably just had a dirty contact.
Old 12-21-16, 10:26 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Luckily, I have an 07. None of this problem.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Gauge / Radio / climate control Backlight Question?