SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any other engineers in here?

Old 02-14-16, 06:59 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Any other engineers in here?

I am wondering if anybody else in here has experience in programming, electronics, mechanical engineering.

I am an electrical engineer by profession with some experience in programming and mechanical engineering (just enough to be dangerous.)

I have some interesting projects lined up for the SC430 and would love to coordinate with some others, especially others with more experience in programming, linux, embedded systems, and mechanical engineering.

One of the projects I am considering is developing a revamp of the popular LuxLink system which seems to be discontinued but still draws quite a bit of interest.

I have been working on this pretty much on my own so far and progress has been slow. If there were others involved, I think progress could move much more quickly.

Tell me that I am not the only nerd here!
Old 02-14-16, 07:41 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 554 Likes on 301 Posts

Retro,

Ill be the first to say that if you or somebody like yourself would create a new version of LuxLink I would be the first to buy it.

Options that i would like

- 1 touch up and down for the hardtop

- remote opening and closing of the hardtop (maybe its better to have a remote start in there as well in order to prevent excessive wear and tear on the alternator/electrical system by having the engine run while doing the top up and top down procedures)

- being able to raise the quarter glass with the top down without the bing bong bong's going off.
Old 02-14-16, 07:45 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Badhobz
Retro,

Ill be the first to say that if you or somebody like yourself would create a new version of LuxLink I would be the first to buy it.

Options that i would like

- 1 touch up and down for the hardtop

- remote opening and closing of the hardtop (maybe its better to have a remote start in there as well in order to prevent excessive wear and tear on the alternator/electrical system by having the engine run while doing the top up and top down procedures)

- being able to raise the quarter glass with the top down without the bing bong bong's going off.
If I get where I am planning to go with this, it would be programmable and people could select and customize the options they wanted.

I appreciate the ideas. Keep them coming. I'm just one person and it is difficult to think of everything. That's why coordination is always the best on big projects.
Old 02-15-16, 10:10 AM
waqasnova
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Retroplay,
When I read your thread's title I was wondering if you are talking about real engineers or the software engineers I am a software engineer but I haven't played with embedded systems. The closest I came to it was programming in 8086 assembly language more than a decade ago. In all these years most of the work has been done on higher level languages like C# and database programming but I would be interested in exploring any DIY stuff that might bring my 2004 SC430 (and two LS 430s) into the new decade.
Old 02-15-16, 10:17 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by waqasnova
Hi Retroplay,
When I read your thread's title I was wondering if you are talking about real engineers or the software engineers I am a software engineer but I haven't played with embedded systems. The closest I came to it was programming in 8086 assembly language more than a decade ago. In all these years most of the work has been done on higher level languages like C# and database programming but I would be interested in exploring any DIY stuff that might bring my 2004 SC430 (and two LS 430s) into the new decade.
What, software engineers aren't real engineers? lol

Seriously though, much of what they do is way over my head. I know enough to program my way out of a paper bag but it is ugly.

I think your skills could prove very useful. Regarding databases, the techstream software is built around a ton of databases which I have been poring through to try to learn about ECU address and commands.

BTW, 8086 assembly is a somewhat scary beast. Haven't tried that in over 20 years. I couldn't imagine it today!

Do you have experience with Linux systems?
Old 02-15-16, 11:17 AM
2ksoftail
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

No real skills in this area.......but mark me down as a buyer.
Old 02-15-16, 11:18 AM
waqasnova
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Retroplay
What, software engineers aren't real engineers? lol

Seriously though, much of what they do is way over my head. I know enough to program my way out of a paper bag but it is ugly.

I think your skills could prove very useful. Regarding databases, the techstream software is built around a ton of databases which I have been poring through to try to learn about ECU address and commands.

BTW, 8086 assembly is a somewhat scary beast. Haven't tried that in over 20 years. I couldn't imagine it today!

Do you have experience with Linux systems?
I haven't programmed on linux systems yet. I set up Android Development Kit (now it's called something else) on my laptop a few years ago but I didn't do much with it afterward. I now have a Macbook Pro with OS X and Windows in a Virtual Machine (using Parallels). I also put Ubuntu 15.10 in a VM but didn't do much with it, I mostly spend my time on the OS X or on the Windows VM on Microsoft's development tools

PS: I did not program on an 8086 machine but the basic language we learned was the 8086 instruction set. This was in the undergrad days, almost 16 years ago.

Last edited by waqasnova; 02-15-16 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 01:01 PM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

I was toying with this idea a while back but never got a chance to look in to it any further but in theory it should work (Post 11);

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-and-roof.html
Old 02-16-16, 07:55 PM
ecpeters
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a computer scientist with very little time for projects.. but I was working on getting a new HDMI based touchscreen installed in the place of my 2002 SC430's touchscreen. Once that's hooked up to power you can plugin anything you want... my pick was going to be an NVIDIA Shield Tablet, but can also see trying some raspberry pi based projects for sniffing wifi traffic out in the wild

The screen :

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2407

The power source + USB Hub

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4-Port Metal Industrial SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub with Surge Protection (ST4300USBMS): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4-Port Metal Industrial SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub with Surge Protection (ST4300USBMS): Computers & Accessories

This system will be expandable into the future of whatever where ever tech goes.. as long as the touchscreen gets the drivers to talk to the device via USB.. There's a bug with it + Android but I read a workaround for it is possible. Haven't had time/money to get the screen dropped in...

I've never heard of Lux Link, what is that?
Old 02-16-16, 07:59 PM
ecpeters
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waqasnova
Hi Retroplay,
Software Engineers are real engineers imho, and I hope one day we're recognized as such in professional circles.
Old 02-17-16, 04:29 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Wish I could help but my skills are mostly limited to installing audio. Really enjoying reading your work Retro. It's much appreciated.
Old 02-17-16, 05:11 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ecpeters
I'm a computer scientist with very little time for projects.. but I was working on getting a new HDMI based touchscreen installed in the place of my 2002 SC430's touchscreen. Once that's hooked up to power you can plugin anything you want... my pick was going to be an NVIDIA Shield Tablet, but can also see trying some raspberry pi based projects for sniffing wifi traffic out in the wild

The screen :

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2407

The power source + USB Hub

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 4-Port Metal Industrial SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub with Surge Protection (ST4300USBMS): Computers & Accessories

This system will be expandable into the future of whatever where ever tech goes.. as long as the touchscreen gets the drivers to talk to the device via USB.. There's a bug with it + Android but I read a workaround for it is possible. Haven't had time/money to get the screen dropped in...

I've never heard of Lux Link, what is that?
Nice find on the hub. As for the screen, note that the resolution is the same as the display already in the nav. I have not looked into yet, but you could probably just get the existing screen to work with another LCD controller with HDMI in. You would still need to install your own touchscreen. I've made a little progress in decoding the built-in touchscreen, but put it aside after deciding I was just going to remove the whole nav system anyway.

I have a thread here a ways back with a ton of reverse engineering details. You might want to peek at that. I have a 1280x800 IPS LCD I will be installing and a USB resistive touchscreen. The PC is a windows 10 single board computer (basically it's the guts of a tablet.)

The Raspberry Pi is coming in as the mobile internet router and an ECU to monitor and control some aspects of the car via a web interface.

The LuxLink was an aftermarket product designed to control the hardtop, windows, etc.. using combinations of buttons on the keyfob remote. It is no longer being produced.

The install is supposedly quite complicated (I don't have one) which deterred a lot of people from installing it.

What I would like to replace it with is a network based ECU that would greatly simplify installation. Lots of reverse engineering work is needed to get to that point, though. That's why I am looking to work with others that might be a little more knowledgeable in some of the areas I am weak on (mainly software.)
Old 02-18-16, 06:24 AM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm an EE, too. I work in the RF/Wireless segment. Mostly handset / base station tx / rx chain stuff. I've worked for ADI for the last 15 or so years.

Currently trying to plan out the gutting of Wifey's 03 SC430 stereo system and update it to something with more bells and whistles.
Old 02-18-16, 07:18 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Curr
I'm an EE, too. I work in the RF/Wireless segment. Mostly handset / base station tx / rx chain stuff. I've worked for ADI for the last 15 or so years.

Currently trying to plan out the gutting of Wifey's 03 SC430 stereo system and update it to something with more bells and whistles.
Well that experience would no doubt come in very helpful. RF engineers always amaze me. Although I am an engineer, I hate math and RF is all about black magic math.

You wouldn't have an SAE subscription, would you? At my work, we don't deal with much SAE standards. I'd love to get my hands on the J2534 and BEAN (Body Electronics Area Networks) papers.
Old 02-18-16, 08:37 AM
Curr
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Well that experience would no doubt come in very helpful. RF engineers always amaze me. Although I am an engineer, I hate math and RF is all about black magic math.

You wouldn't have an SAE subscription, would you? At my work, we don't deal with much SAE standards. I'd love to get my hands on the J2534 and BEAN (Body Electronics Area Networks) papers.
Heh. I'm that one guy that "hates math". That's what MathCAD and MatLab are for

Our company intranet tech library might have a sub. I'll try and poke around later see what I can see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any other engineers in here?