My review of the SC430 got published

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-16, 07:59 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts
Default My review of the SC430 got published

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...2-lexus-sc430/

trying to counter all that hatorade people have about our cars.
The following users liked this post:
SC430Dad (11-17-22)
Old 02-11-16, 09:41 AM
iamsam9
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

god bless you. someone has to....
Old 02-11-16, 09:44 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Read it last night

Well written
Old 02-11-16, 09:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Bravo and well done!
My wife absolutely enjoys her SC430 and everytime I offer to buy her a different car (kidding her) she says NO!
I also enjoy driving it and enjoy tinkering with the car!
It's a fun and extremely well built car!

I never thought these cars were ugly, except for the 2002 pie plate wheels, and that was an easy fix!
The small V8 is very smooth and was too quiet for my wife, again, another easy fix! It has plenty of power and will easily climb well past the century mark on the interstate.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-11-16 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 07:21 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Badhobz
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...2-lexus-sc430/

trying to counter all that hatorade people have about our cars.
Very well done. I have to admit I didn't like the looks of the car at all. I was offered a 2010 with a huge discount from my Lexus dealer when they were current vehicles but said no way! About a year and a half ago, after agonizing about whether to buy another piece of junk German car (sorry to those offended...I stand by that) I started to see a lot of these in the area I just moved to. All of sudden, I liked them! Damn it! So I found my current car, a 2006 with 127k on it for a great price and have loved driving it more every time I take it out. It's my only car now. I mostly ride motorcycles, both of which are ironically, German. Anyway, very well written as are your posts on this site. Well done. As far as the opinion of TV show hosts, right back at 'em with the stupidest show from a country that has built some of the worst but most beautiful cars ever made, and some of the ugliest ill-conceived horrid vehicles known to man. Rolls Royce and Bentley are German. Jaguar is Indian. Deal with that!
Old 02-12-16, 05:15 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I really enjoyed your article! I lost faith in Top Gear when they thought this was the worse car ever.....
Old 02-12-16, 07:39 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Born a classic.. for me the art deco flavor was what i liked most...never thought about the big butt stuff ... These great little cars are an acquired taste...all class. My feelings : there are faster cars, better looking cars : but you cant drop the top...

Great article...most comments were rancid

Last edited by pynky01; 02-12-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-12-16, 08:13 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! I enjoyed reading it. I have had my 2007 SC for about six weeks now and also have a 2014 LS. I have barely driven the LS since I got the SC and am seriously thinking about unloading it and just driving the SC. Just have to decide if two seats is enough for me on a trial basis and then possibly a more permanent basis (we do have another bigger vehicle in our household that I don't drive). It doesn't hurt that the Texas winter has been so mild and it's been top-down weather way more days than an average winter. It was 70 degrees-plus and sunny yesterday, and I think it was the most enjoyable ride yet! I know there are other great vehicles out there and I've even owned a few I liked a lot over the years, some that drove faster, some that looked sportier or whatever, but this one is in the running for my favorite car in 30+ years in overall experience. I know I'm mostly preaching to the choir here, but this is a great car, and I wish they'd make a new one just like it that includes blind spot monitors, parking sensors, and upgraded nav/bluetooth, basically a 2000s car with 2016 tech. THAT would be perfect!
Old 02-12-16, 09:17 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
I really enjoyed your article! I lost faith in Top Gear when they thought this was the worse car ever.....
It was the top gear "worst car" bit that got my attention and made me look at and buy a used SC430 with 11K miles on it. Had it not been for that piece, I wouldn't own it.
Old 02-12-16, 01:30 PM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 303 Posts

Thank you for the kind words. Im hoping we get some more commentators that will attest to the good looks of our SC430. I just dont understand the hatred. After a year of ownership and a lust that dates back to 2002 when i was still in school, it still makes me smile when i look at her.
Old 02-12-16, 01:48 PM
JessicaLyn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Lexus and needs some pointers for my 2004 SC430

Hello Enthusiasts!
Hopefully someone here can give me some good advice. I am not the car expert and this gem is my fun car, currently in storage for our Illinois winter season. I bought my 2004 SC430 last summer and I am in love. However, there are a few issues that I would like to get fixed before summer 2016 rolls around. The manufacturers wheels were replace with a wheel brand I was told were not that good and I have Michelin non-run flat tires on those... however, I think the rims/wheels (not tires) might be my problem. It seems like the alignment keeps being thrown off on the front left and it creates a slight shake in my driving wheel. Has this happened to anyone else?
Can anyone recommend new rims/wheels? I like the chrome look.

My second question, since being in storage the battery has drained 2 times after sitting for 2 weeks. I have it waxed and covered and was told to start it up at least 1x/month. Two weeks passed, the battery was dead. I replaced the battery completely, and ran it for a few hours. Then two weeks later, that battery when dead. Is there something that continuously drains the battery that I can shut off while I have it in storage?
Thank you all!
Jessica
Old 02-12-16, 04:36 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JessicaLyn
Hello Enthusiasts!
Hopefully someone here can give me some good advice. I am not the car expert and this gem is my fun car, currently in storage for our Illinois winter season. I bought my 2004 SC430 last summer and I am in love. However, there are a few issues that I would like to get fixed before summer 2016 rolls around. The manufacturers wheels were replace with a wheel brand I was told were not that good and I have Michelin non-run flat tires on those... however, I think the rims/wheels (not tires) might be my problem. It seems like the alignment keeps being thrown off on the front left and it creates a slight shake in my driving wheel. Has this happened to anyone else?
Can anyone recommend new rims/wheels? I like the chrome look.

My second question, since being in storage the battery has drained 2 times after sitting for 2 weeks. I have it waxed and covered and was told to start it up at least 1x/month. Two weeks passed, the battery was dead. I replaced the battery completely, and ran it for a few hours. Then two weeks later, that battery when dead. Is there something that continuously drains the battery that I can shut off while I have it in storage?
Thank you all!
Jessica

Welcome to the forum.

Our cars all have a parasitic drain on the battery. If you have your car in storage you need to buy a battery tender [ small computer controlled battery charger ] and keep it plugged in when car is in storage. We all have for the nmost part the same issue if you don't use the car for two weeks the battery will run down.

There are a lot of good wheel choices out there and there is a thread on the forum about them.
Your vibration could be caused by a lot of things . Wheel alignment, balance bent rim suspension ball joint.

You should post this in its own thread to get more exposure
Old 02-13-16, 01:24 PM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always liked the way it looked. It is conservative and classic looking. If it looked like the models Lexus makes today, I would have never bought one. But, I do agree with the detractors about performance. That has been the biggest disappointment to me. Another 100 hp would be much appreciated. My wife really enjoys the top-down summer cruises, with room for the dog in the back seat and that counts for more than anything else.

The only thing comparable, with more adequate power would be an SL55 AMG and I'm not willing to risk the maintenance and repair costs.
Old 02-13-16, 02:56 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 544 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
But, I do agree with the detractors about performance. That has been the biggest disappointment to me. Another 100 hp would be much appreciated
I have no problem with the power. In power mode, it's faster than lot of cars. Even in normal mode, it accelerates fine in the freeway, smooth and comfortable.

You're not racing, so why do you want it performs like an Ferrari?
Old 02-14-16, 11:55 AM
Balr14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I have no problem with the power. In power mode, it's faster than lot of cars. Even in normal mode, it accelerates fine in the freeway, smooth and comfortable.

You're not racing, so why do you want it performs like an Ferrari?

I guess it's all what you are used to. I'm used to 0-60 times no worse than 5.5 seconds; which is hardly "supercar' performance.

Quick Reply: My review of the SC430 got published