SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tech Stream Software Cable ver 2.0.4

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 01:29 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

What else would you like to see Tech Stream perform?

Old 02-05-16, 01:35 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cube
This might be a dumb question, but where is the diagnostic socket located?
This is a very good question and I should have addressed it earlier.
The OBDII connector, also know as DLC3 connector is located on the drivers side, as you are seated in the drivers seat, the connector will be just below your left knee under the dash and it looks like this...
Disregard the two arrows

Where is the OBDII (DLC3) connector located?

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-05-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-05-16, 04:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Awesome! I have to try my TechStream and see if I can get to what you have.
Old 02-06-16, 03:32 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Bgw70, what is the advantage to getting the new 2.04 cable? The Techstream software has all the same features, right?

Did you try removing the pin in the connector so you don't need to use the reset tool yet?
Old 02-06-16, 03:37 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Also, while you are playing around, I am curious whether or not the J2534 toolbox and bus-analysis tool works with this cable.

You can download it here, under support applications:
http://www.drewtech.com/downloads/index.html
Old 02-06-16, 04:08 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I have not removed pin14 in the connector yet. I was waiting for the new connector to show up.

It is my understanding the new connector with the 2.0.4 firmware and driver will load on 64bit machines this transferring data faster. It will also communicate with the newer vehicles using a different communications bus.

My relative has a newer Toyota Camry and I plan to try it on his vehicle at a later date.

The new cable should show up today and I want to see if it operates faster.
I will also disable pin 14 to see if it does not throw the VSC lights.

Honestly, the lights are not a big deal because I made the reset tool. It takes an extra 20 seconds to plug the tool in after I am finished.
Keep in mind that if you remove the pin, the cable will not work with the CAN bus in the newer cars.

Last edited by Retroplay; 02-06-16 at 04:13 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 09:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Keep in mind that if you remove the pin, the cable will not work with the CAN bus in the newer cars.
That's why I recommended making an adapter that plugs into the end of the cable and removes that connection.
Old 02-07-16, 08:58 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Bgw70,

I just tried out the two Drew Technologies applications I mentioned with my cable.

The toolbox app has some login that pops up that I haven't figured out yet. The J2534 tool seems to connect using the xhorse driver, but I couldn't figure out how to use it. It reported that it didn't find any J2534 devices in the vehicle but I am not sure I am doing everything correctly (should have a list of ECUs, I think.) If you have better luck figuring it out, I think it would be a helpful tool.
Old 02-07-16, 01:13 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I tried the Drew Tech Tool for J2534-1 ver 1.07.
It is communicating with the cable. I selected XHorse - MVCI

I really do not know what this tool is supposed to do for me...

I was able to get it to connect that far as well. But on the right side it has a drop-down of J2534 devices, but it doesn't detect any. A J2534 device would be one of the ECUs in the car.

If it were able to connect further, this tool would let you monitor messages back and forth between the various ECUs and also send commands. J2534 is a programming protocol for ECUs. It is what is used by the Techstream software to customize different features.

If we can figure out how to talk to the different ECUs, I suspect that we can send commands over the bus to do things like controlling windows, lock/unlock doors, the roof, etc...

The car itself does it this way over the BEAN bus (ie. the roof ECU tells the door ECUs to roll down the windows). But the network gateway connects all the busses together, so (theoretically) we could send commands over the BEAN bus through the J2534 interface. The wiring would be much more complicated for all the features if it wasn't able to use the bus to control and monitor other ECUs.

Last edited by Retroplay; 02-07-16 at 01:18 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 01:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the additional information. I would guess you have played with the features in the Tech Stream that sends commands to Windows, lights, door locks etc.

Since Tech Stream can do these functions I may not need this software.

On a different subject, I received the new cable v2.0.4, which was supposed to replace my older v1.4.1 cable. The cable LED lights up and it appears to communicate with the software but it will not communicate with the car.

I uninstalled all of the software and started from scratch, but it was no help.
Old 02-08-16, 07:47 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Thanks for the additional information. I would guess you have played with the features in the Tech Stream that sends commands to Windows, lights, door locks etc.
Nope. I was completely ignorant of those functions. Thanks for pointing that out. I only had a couple of minutes to play with it and wasn't getting any response to commands, but I was probably doing something wrong.

Off to youtube to look for instruction videos.

Any luck on the 2.0.4 cable yet?
Old 02-09-16, 01:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Nope. I was completely ignorant of those functions. Thanks for pointing that out. I only had a couple of minutes to play with it and wasn't getting any response to commands, but I was probably doing something wrong.

Off to youtube to look for instruction videos.

Any luck on the 2.0.4 cable yet?
I did not mess with the cable yesterday but I did send an email to the vendor. I also looked around at several websites that sell these cables looking for additional information.

If you tried to connect your cable to your car and it is not working then you most likely have a setup problem.

When I connect the v1.4.1 cable, the LED turns green and when I command the software to CONNECT TO VEHICLE, it returns with all of my car info.
Are you getting that far?

Also, are you using a 32bit machine? I am using an XP OS and setup was fairly simple.

Last edited by Bgw70; 05-31-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 02-09-16, 03:44 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I did not mess with the cable yesterday but I did send an email to the vendor. I also looked around at several websites that sell these cables looking for additional information.

If you tried to connect your cable to your car and it is not working then you most likely have a setup problem.

When I connect the v1.4.1 cable, the LED turns green and when I comman the software to CONNECT TO VEHICLE, it returns with all of my car info.
Are you getting that far?

Also, are you using a 32bit machine? I am using an XP OS and setup was fairly simple.

Yes. Using XP. It connected to car with no problem. It just wasn't commanding anything in the active tests, but I was in a hurry, so I probably just wasn't doing something correctly.
Old 02-09-16, 05:36 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Well I decided to give up on my new cable v2.0.4. And stay with my current cable v1.4.1. The new cable seemed to work with the XHorse and techstream software but it just would not communicate with my car. The old cable had no issues and even communicated with my SC using the new software and drivers.

I contacted eBay and the seller, requesting a refund or the seller can send me a new cable. we will see how well ebays return policy operates!
Old 02-10-16, 07:09 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

If your current cable was working, why would you try a new one? There seems to be no advantage to that.

Quick Reply: Tech Stream Software Cable ver 2.0.4