SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tech Stream Software Cable ver 2.0.4

Old 02-10-16, 07:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts

The new cable is advertised to work on 32 and 64 bit Windows systems.

I am currently running techstream on an old laptop running a 32 bit win XP OS.

The plan was to test it here, then install it on a newer 64 bit win10 OS. The data transfer between the car and laptop should have been much faster along with the more robust laptop hardware.

If it worked, I was going to either sell the cable and software to someone on here or just keep it as a backup.

Do you agree with that logic?
Old 02-10-16, 08:18 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Not the way it works. The USB transfer rate is the limiting factor. DATA transfer would not have improved. The cable is USB II and any old laptop will be faster than that.
Old 02-10-16, 08:41 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I just read your other thread and it is full of good tech stream info!
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-software.html

Okay, here are my observations...
XHorse will read the new cable and display it as v2.0.4.
When I start techstream and select the XHorse VIM the software seems to read the cable. When I select CONNECT TO VEHICLE, the cable led flashes a few times, I see the car dash VSC light come on and I see the ABS light flash a couple of times.
Tech Stream then shows the vehicle information screen but my car info does not show up using this new cable. My car Info does show up with the old cable.

Also, the old cable v1.4.1 LED shows green or red colors, the new cable shows yellow and sometimes flashes red.

Any ideas?
Old 02-10-16, 09:23 AM
iolmaster
Racer

I have never seen any lights on the car flash.
Old 02-10-16, 10:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have never seen any lights on the car flash.
Do you have any recommendations as to why the new cable will not communicate with my car?
Old 02-10-16, 11:51 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Do you have any recommendations as to why the new cable will not communicate with my car?
I would go the Device Manager in Windows and make sure the entries are there showing that the OS has identified the devices. If not, you will have to try to reinstall and if that doesn't work I would go to the registry and make sure all the keys are deleted before reinstalling.
Old 02-10-16, 05:01 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I would go the Device Manager in Windows and make sure the entries are there showing that the OS has identified the devices. If not, you will have to try to reinstall and if that doesn't work I would go to the registry and make sure all the keys are deleted before reinstalling.
A big thank you and I will go look at the REG. Device manager is showing everything correctly.
I was doing comparisons between the two cables while I was looking at device manager.

I copied everything to my newer 64 bit laptop, which also has good anti virus protection.
The AV detected a Trojan in the XHorse software and removed it.
I went a step farther and copied the files from my older laptop and I scanned everything. All was good except for a file called,

FirmwareUpdateTool.exe

It has a Trojan, according to McAfee AV.

Microsoft Security Essentials did not find a problem. I plan to continue using the TechSteam but also plan to only keep it on an old laptop computer that has no private personal information.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-10-16 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-10-16, 08:45 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

BgW70, if your dash lights are flashing, I would think it would be because it is scanning for other protocols. Each BEAN bus segment comes out to the OBD connector. One of those connects to the dash.

What could be happening is that it is scanning the CAN bus and is getting something back from the BEAN bus (the formats are really close) and this might be making the cable think you have a CAN bus, so it stops scanning and then when the cable isn't getting the responses it expects, it reports that it fails.

I would try to block that pin in some way and see if it helps.

I have a Viecar bluetooth dongle that also would not connect to the car until I removed pin 14.

Just a suggestion.

BTW, I have been working on modifying my cable to install in the car permanently and will hopefully be posting up details soon. It will involve remove the circuit board and installing it in a case then building a wire harness that will be tapped into the OBD port wiring at the gateway.
Old 02-10-16, 09:58 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Just a couple items that might be useful in this thread:

OBD-II Connector, SC430 specific (MY 01-05)
Possibly not complete yet
. Missing pins have not been identified or confirmed to be present yet. 3rd columns are ECU connections, but might not make sense yet. WIP

Gateway ECU Pinout
I'll be expanding on this to explain the pins better. I have been finding a lot of hints that these Gateway ECUs have an RS232 (standard serial) interface which could be on those missing pins.

The MP buses are the BEAN bus connections. GTX lines are AVC-LAN. The gateway ECU acts like a hub which translates between all the different busses. Below the diagram is the PN of the connector. The Gateway ECU is located inside the center console under the radio (TPMS receiver is on top of it.)

Last edited by Retroplay; 02-10-16 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-11-16, 02:16 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Once again Retro, you come up with a logical suggestion!!! I will look at the connector to see if there is a way to disable pin 14 without damaging the cable.

I can tell you the new cable does search longer before it fails which tells me the new cable may see something on the BEAN bus. The old cable locates the information right away!
Once again, I do believe you may have provided then answer!
Crossing fingers.

By the way, the only pins that are required are 4,5,7, and 16 for the cable to work on the SC430. 4 and 5 are tied together (chassis ground and signal ground) so only 3 wires are needed.

I just picked up a spare gateway ECU to reverse engineer. I really, really want to crack this. In my planned system, I can reduce the complexity and wiring significantly if I can control things through the gateway the same way all the other ECUs work. With a bit of detective work, it might even be possible to figure out how to open/close the quarter windows with simple commands.

It would make a LuxLink 2.0 much, much simpler to install.
Old 02-11-16, 06:32 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys. Thx for all the great info. I got a question regarding this matter. Does the driver seat in our car move back after the engine got shut down and key removed? And do the Techstream cable and software give us the ability to turn this option on and off? In my LS460, I can do that without any software. Thanks.
Old 02-11-16, 08:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I do not believe it is an option...
Refer to post 6 of this thread and click on the link
Then open the attachment...
It will show all of the items techstream can modify

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-11-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-11-16, 10:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

No it is not. I looked into this option too after driving a newer RX. The SC only has the memory seat and steering wheel memory. Not "rollback/rollfoward on exiting/entering the car.
Old 02-12-16, 03:14 AM
My1998LS40
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thx Bgw70 and ShawnOK. It's suck that our cars don't/can't back up the seat when existing the car. I saw the steering column retract when the key is removed, so I thought it might have the seat retract too.
Old 02-13-16, 12:55 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I need to make a correction. The Network gateway is not located under the radio. It is inside the dash behind the passenger side wood trim according to the location diagrams. Kind of an odd place for it.

I am eagerly waiting for the spare unit to arrive so I can unlock the secrets of these buses. If I can, all sorts of things become possible, perhaps even the seat movement mentioned above could become an option. I suspect that it is not a feature already because of the little room in the back seats. If a child (or pet) were sitting back there the automatic seat movement could injure them. But I think most of us have given up on thinking of putting anyone in the back seats. Personally, I would just get rid of them if I could think of something interesting to do with the space (and no I am not into 40" speakers all over - I like my music quiet. lol)
The following users liked this post:
wfunk2163 (02-26-21)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tech Stream Software Cable ver 2.0.4