SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Rear Electric Windows !!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-03, 02:33 AM
Michaelsb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC430 Rear Electric Windows !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guy's N Gal's

Has anyone among you found a way to operate the rear quarter windows on a SC430 independantly of the folding roof. It has accurred to me if the windows could be used it would make the SC430 a pilarless coupe with the roof up and may improve the wind back draft with the roof down.

Any idea's that I could try back here in England please.

Thank you

Michael
Old 04-18-03, 06:27 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts
Default Can't be Done

I have no ideas for you, other than to suggest you omit the apostrophe from a plural noun. (Continue using it for possessives and contractions, of course.) As for the rear windows, this has been discussed a few times. The gist of these discussions is that the windows cannot be raised when the top is down. Period. It just can't be done. Secondly, there is no great reason to do so, as the front windows are pretty large and the small rear windows would do little if anything to alter wind patterns (or appearance).

My personal opinion, and this is just a guess, is that the rear windows are just too small to be free standing, and that the ability to raise them with the top down would be asking for them to be damaged or pushed out of alignment. My guess is that this was an engineering decision more than anything else.

In two years, it's never been a problem.

You are better off spending your spare time thinking about the tires (tyres in England and Jamaica).

Even without the ability to raise the little bitty rear windows with the top down, it's still a great car.
Old 04-18-03, 09:54 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, that pesky apostrophe. It appear's where it should not be, and its missing where it should be.

During a six-week summer school stint I had to drive by a farmhouse lawn sporting a sign advertising, "WORM'S FOR SALE" and every day I'd wonder, a "worm's what?" is for sale. Someone later explained that perhaps they had only one worm and the sign should actually read "WORM IS FOR SALE".
Old 04-19-03, 08:08 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

You can raise the quarter windows with the top down. See your owners manual under the emergency roof close section, or you can search this forum for the post with instructions try "sc430 quarter windows" in the search box. I have not been able to find a way to lower them with roof up. Good luck.
Old 02-11-16, 02:50 PM
konnect2
Driver School Candidate

Default SC 430 rear window control

The rear windows are protected by a fuse located in the trunk fuse panel. If the top is up and the fuse is removed, the top may be put down, and the windows will stay up because they will get no power. If the top is down and the fuse is removed. the top may be raised and the rear windows will stay down. By installing a switch in the fuse circuit. the fuse may be switched in or out from the drivers seat.
Old 02-11-16, 03:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by konnect2
The rear windows are protected by a fuse located in the trunk fuse panel. If the top is up and the fuse is removed, the top may be put down, and the windows will stay up because they will get no power. If the top is down and the fuse is removed. the top may be raised and the rear windows will stay down. By installing a switch in the fuse circuit. the fuse may be switched in or out from the drivers seat.
Have you done this yourself and does it cause the beeping when you begin to drive?
Old 02-11-16, 05:57 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....lol...I guess there's only one way to find out. If I have the time, I may give it a go this weekend
Old 02-12-16, 10:05 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

TexSexLex, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! This would be so awesome and such an easy hack!
Old 02-12-16, 03:06 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't think that's true because the top goes no where if that fuse is dead or removed.. the light goes on. I dont think lexus would risk letting the top function if quarter windows dont move.

Last edited by 416tt; 02-12-16 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-12-16, 06:54 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmer416
Don't think that's true because the top goes no where if that fuse is dead or removed.. the light goes on. I dont think lexus would risk letting the top function if quarter windows dont move.
+1

It's easy to add a generic roll-up/roll-down module to control the rear windows. But as soon as you use it, a fault code is generated and the top will not work.

That is to say, as soon as the windows are out of a normal position, the top computer will disable any movement of top.

To reset and be able to use the top, you must put the rear windows into a normal position (i.e. top up/windows up or top down/windows down) and then cycle the ignition.

No apostrophes were harmed in the creation of this message.

Old 02-13-16, 03:23 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I want to know how you get to the fuse with the top down...since you said the fuse is in the trunk, I thought the top would cover the fuses.

Lucy, you got some splainin' to do!
Old 02-13-16, 05:01 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I want to know how you get to the fuse with the top down...since you said the fuse is in the trunk, I thought the top would cover the fuses.

Lucy, you got some splainin' to do!
Haha definitely!

And yes getting to the fuse under the top down. boy its no fun. Alot of work.
Old 02-14-16, 11:23 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

well, what you'd have to do is to run a piggy back circuit off that fuse and leave enough wire to were you can toggle to test it in the trunk, far away enough so that the switch is still accessible when the top is retracted. If this is actually a solution, I will probably add a wireless switch and hard wire switch. Hope someone will test this hypothesis out.
Old 02-14-16, 06:35 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
well, what you'd have to do is to run a piggy back circuit off that fuse and leave enough wire to were you can toggle to test it in the trunk, far away enough so that the switch is still accessible when the top is retracted. If this is actually a solution, I will probably add a wireless switch and hard wire switch. Hope someone will test this hypothesis out.
The problem is, you cannot function the top with a fuse removed or blown it doesn't let you do anything, the light comes on, nothing moves... I have experienced this.

the rear window mod works well and is not hard to do.