SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is this a result of dealer overfilling Radiator??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 10:14 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70

This is the exact same spot my Original one cracked. I followed BGW's advice and got the one off of Amazon. It went in EASY. I would rate it as a three on a difficult scale of 1 to 10. The bummer part was the Toyota Coolant was like 30% cost of the radiator.

It is possible that your coolant is full in your overflow tank because your system is no longer pressurized due to the crack.

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 02-27-17 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-27-17, 10:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sixonemale

Bgw70, Just by glancing at your overflow tank it does not look like you are using a 50/50 mixture of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant because it's not red/orange in color. Are you using an equivalent with the required chemical constituents as listed in the owner's manual?

"Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology"
If you think that is bad, you should ask him what kinda of fluid he puts into his transmission (LOL)
Old 02-27-17, 10:35 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I just recently filled my overflow tank above the maximum line and sure enough it appeared as though I had a leak from a fairly new radiator. I could see pink forming around the slotted metal perimeter piece of the radiator on the drivers side. I washed it off a couple of times by squirting small quantities of water on it and now the pinkish residue is no longer forming. So in my case it seems as though the cause what appeared to be leaking radiator was caused by putting too much of the 50/50 mixture of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant and water caused the appearance of leaking radiator.

Bgw70, Just by glancing at your overflow tank it does not look like you are using a 50/50 mixture of Toyota Super Long Life Coolant because it's not red/orange in color. Are you using an equivalent with the required chemical constituents as listed in the owner's manual?

"Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non-silicate, non-amine, non-nitrate and non-borate coolant with long-life hybrid organic acid technology"
I am not here to start a war on what to use...
you wont like my answer but I use Walmart antifreeze full concentration. IMO, 50/50 is the expensive way to purchase, I just mix with distilled water...

here is my question, how is this aluminum engine any different than another aluminum engine?
another difference...I change the antifreeze every two years or so.

when they say lifetime, please define. 10 years or 50 years, how many miles? Etc.
others have said lifetime is 100k miles.

as for transmission fluid, and as Dashing brought up, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, it meets or exceeds all Toyota specifications. I also use it in the power steering.
Old 02-27-17, 10:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I also decided to start using Quakerstate Ultimate Durability in all of my cars...$20 at Walmart, 5qt bottle.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/
Old 02-27-17, 12:21 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

you wont like my answer but I use Walmart antifreeze full concentration. IMO, 50/50 is the expensive way to purchase, I just mix with distilled water...

here is my question, how is this aluminum engine any different than another aluminum engine?

when they say lifetime, please define. 10 years or 50 years, how many miles? Etc.

as for transmission fluid, and as Dashing brought up, I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, it meets or exceeds all Toyota specifications. I also use it in the power steering.

Valvoline Maxlife ATF, I was going to look that up today from one of your previous posts. You just saved me a little work. Getting ready to do a pan drop and filter change. I had read up on it last time you posted on it. I know you posted this PDF last time, but thought I'd repost it. http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-27-17 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-27-17, 03:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Valvoline Maxlife ATF, I was going to look that up today from one of your previous posts. You just saved me a little work. Getting ready to do a pan drop and filter change. I had read up on it last time you posted on it. I know you posted this PDF last time, but thought I'd repost it. http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
glad to hear it Cole!
i have used MaxLife ATF in Two Hondas, one GM and four Toyotas. No reported issues.

as for anyone with antifreeze concerns, here are two links to the MSDS for the Toyota and Supertech antifreeze products. Please note the products are the same and the only difference is color and marketing.

i am going to continue to use Supertech.

Walmart Supertech antifreeze, made by Prestone.
http://www.northwinds.us/msds/Presto...ant%20MSDS.pdf

Toyota Long Life antifreeze, made by CCI Corporation
http://www.*************/tagged/Anti...002721LLAC.pdf

not sure why CL is denying my link. You will need to add www.w o r l d p a c.com/ where it was removed in the link above.

here is a photo of page one of the MSDS for the Toyota long life antifreeze.

Last edited by Bgw70; 02-27-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-28-17, 12:57 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

No war started, to each his own. I would not say "the MSDS for the Toyota and Supertech antifreeze products. Please note the products are the same and the only difference is color and marketing". That's an incorrect statement, they are both ethylene glycol based, but have different a non hazardous component. I'm conservative on some aspects of this car and lean toward using OEM fluids, sensors, etc. I'm sure other fluids can be used, but again it's to each his own. I also don't believe in lifetime for any type of fluid whether it is coolant or transmission fluid, but do believe that super long life radiator fluid can chemically last longer than some coolants

Motor oil is also a very personal choice and understand the arguments for many different types. I use synthetic oil based on:
  • Resisting break-down, and thus lasts longer than mineral oil
  • Withstanding high temperatures
  • Flowing in cold temperatures, thus reducing engine wear during frigid startups.
Plus, the person that owned a repair shop that I used to go to way back when used to race cars and said from personal experience he had blown up several engines, but after switching to synthetic oil the engines were no longer blowing up. I understand the cost difference, etc., and the end of the day if you change your oil often enough it may or may not matter what type of oil you use. Again, it's personal preference, but most high end cars and race cars use synthetic oil.
Old 02-28-17, 01:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

No war started, to each his own. I would not say "the MSDS for the Toyota and Supertech antifreeze products. Please note the products are the same and the only difference is color and marketing". That's an incorrect statement, they are both ethylene glycol based, but have different a non hazardous component. I'm conservative on some aspects of this car and lean toward using OEM fluids, sensors, etc. I'm sure other fluids can be used, but again it's to each his own. I also don't believe in lifetime for any type of fluid whether it is coolant or transmission fluid, but do believe that super long life radiator fluid can chemically last longer than some coolants

Motor oil is also a very personal choice and understand the arguments for many different types. I use synthetic oil based on:
  • Resisting break-down, and thus lasts longer than mineral oil
  • Withstanding high temperatures
  • Flowing in cold temperatures, thus reducing engine wear during frigid startups.
Plus, the person that owned a repair shop that I used to go to way back when used to race cars and said from personal experience he had blown up several engines, but after switching to synthetic oil the engines were no longer blowing up. I understand the cost difference, etc., and the end of the day if you change your oil often enough it may or may not matter what type of oil you use. Again, it's personal preference, but most high end cars and race cars use synthetic oil.
yep, good point on the other ingredients, not sure what they are.

the oil I referenced is full synthetic and is rated in the top 10. I work with a mechanical engineer and I asked him about the psi of oil. He said two things, one he wrote a paper on oil when he was getting his degree and two, he said the oil i referenced is superior based on the information they provided.
we agree on the oil types...take another look at the study...it said anything over 100k psi is excellent. The Quaker State Met that specification.
Old 02-28-17, 01:38 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I consider BGW one of the most informed people on the forum and trust his judgment on using non oem fluids..

BUT if you love OEM fluids like Six1Male AND you love WALMART like BGW, you can buy Genuine TOYOTA MOTOR OIL from their online site https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-Ge...W-20/816235514
Old 02-28-17, 01:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DashingDar
I consider BGW one of the most informed people on the forum and trust his judgment on using non oem fluids..

BUT if you love OEM fluids like Six1Male AND you love WALMART like BGW, you can buy Genuine TOYOTA MOTOR OIL from their online site https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyota-Ge...W-20/816235514
LoL, well put Dashing!
thats what I like about car talk in the SC430 section, respect for each other's opinions!
Old 03-02-17, 01:07 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

I personally like Mobil 1, and my fav rebate is back. I usually stocked up when they have this offer. I believe WalMart around me sells 5qt jug synthetic oil for ~$26 - $12 rebate

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...nd-mobil-super
Old 03-02-17, 01:14 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
I would want to know now if there is a leak. Call some radiator shops to find out how much they charge to do a cooling system pressure test. In meantime, right after you turn off the warmed-up engine, check to see if you hear any hissing or see coolant seeping out.
I did this today during lunch hr and still not seeing the leak. Maybe I did not warm-up the engine long enough. I know it has a tiny tiny leak somewhere since I am losing coolant a little bit over time - I marked the fluid level on the overflow tank. Just kinda annoying that I can not find time to work on the car. I still have my new coilover to install as well - bought in December.
Old 03-02-17, 03:18 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BCT
I did this today during lunch hr and still not seeing the leak. Maybe I did not warm-up the engine long enough. I know it has a tiny tiny leak somewhere since I am losing coolant a little bit over time - I marked the fluid level on the overflow tank. Just kinda annoying that I can not find time to work on the car. I still have my new coilover to install as well - bought in December.
just a warning but you may be playing with Fire. If the crack opens up and the cooling comes out fast, the engine could overheat. If that happens, the possibility of major engine damage is a real possibility.

watch it closely and check everyday...
Old 03-02-17, 07:45 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BCT
I personally like Mobil 1, and my fav rebate is back. I usually stocked up when they have this offer. I believe WalMart around me sells 5qt jug synthetic oil for ~$26 - $12 rebate

My favorite rebate also. Provided you trust the mechanic at your local Walmart, I still think it's one of the better places to have your oil and oil filter changed. If you buy the oil and filter at Walmart, they charge $8.00 labor to change the oil and filter that includes disposal of the used motor oil.
Old 03-02-17, 11:59 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCT

It's weird that Walmart & Amazon are not on the list but Kmart & Target are
https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mo...bil-super#some

Quick Reply: Is this a result of dealer overfilling Radiator??