SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Took the SC out for some excercise. Came back with some toys

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 12:12 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Most modern VGA controllers can accept RGBs by simply putting the composite sync signal on the Horizontal Sync line of the VGA port. They are now able to autodetect all sorts of configurations. In fact, the existing LCD controller is doing just that. That means that any newer LCD controller with VGA input would work as far as that is concerned.

However, it is not as simple as that. The menu interface for the brightness, contrast, backlight on/off, etc.. is controlled by the main board in the nav display. So simply dropping in a new LCD and controller won't work. It would require finding a way to interface all the control signals from the main board.

I am aiming to replace the NAV display completely, but I am (still) debating whether to keep the original NAV ECU. I am leaning towards just removing it completely.

The disadvantage to trying to keep the original NAV is a great deal of reverse engineering to interface with the touchscreen and handle the communications over the AVC-LAN bus to the NAV ECU.

I don't see many disadvantages to removing it.
Are the brightness/contrast/etc. signals from the main board, --- anything more than dry-contact-closures that could be intercepted/relayed to a new 720P LCD-controller?

If so, I guess I'll be sticking with the AppleTV displaying 480i thru the NavTool 3.0-HDMi switch.

It isn't that its a "bad" picture, its just that it would look much better on an IPS screen at 720p....

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-24-16, 12:19 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TarheelNic
Are the brightness/contrast/etc. signals from the main board, --- anything more than dry-contact-closures that could be intercepted/relayed to a new 720P LCD-controller?

If so, I guess I'll be sticking with the AppleTV displaying 480i thru the NavTool 3.0-HDMi switch.

It isn't that its a "bad" picture, its just that it would look much better on an IPS screen at 720p....

Thanks for the feedback.

On the LCD controller board is a series of digital-to-analog converters which are controlled by the microcontroller on the main-board. So, the main board is using digital signals, the LCD controller turns those into the analog signals used by the LCD controller and backlight dimmer.

On a modern LCD controller, this is handled all internally in the LCD controller IC which is software configurable.

It's not impossible to interface everything, but certainly not simple.
Old 01-24-16, 12:34 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Attached is the LCD controller IC used in the display. If you can read a datasheet, you will notice that it uses voltages to control the brightness and contrast (on page 7 you can see a bunch of potentiometers.)

The DAC (Digital to analog converters) create those voltages.

A modern LCD controller is all digital and has a built in microcontroller.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ir3y29b (LCD controller).pdf (1.57 MB, 87 views)
Old 01-24-16, 04:47 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

Gracias for the data sheet. The relentless pursuit of perfection ----for a Hi-Def Nav-screen continues...

NavTool 3.0-HDMI for AppleTV,
BU Camera & BlindSpot Cam.
Old 01-24-16, 05:49 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TarheelNic
Gracias for the data sheet. The relentless pursuit of perfection ----for a Hi-Def Nav-screen continues...
I just noticed that you have a 2007. When I have looked around on eBay for nav displays, several results showed an entirely different LCD and touchscreen from what is present in my 2003. I assumed that it was for later models. A normal 4-wire resistive touchscreen seems to pop up often. You could possibly have a more modern LCD controller and entirely different mainboard (ie. more modern).

(Keep in mind that these are mostly sellers from China, so compatability claim may not be all that accurate. I do see them come up for the IS series, though.)

The 2003, at least, uses an IR touchscreen.
Old 01-24-16, 06:30 PM
TarheelNic
Rookie

So there's still some hope for me to easily (or at least, --- more easily) get to 720P with the stock Equipment--which is my goal :-). Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback and assistance.
NavTool 3.0-HDMI for AppleTV,
BU Camera & BlindSpot Cam.