SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

help with 2004 sc430

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-16, 01:28 PM
mrhdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with 2004 sc430

hi my 2004 sc430 only 45000 miles. I notice that the air conditioning suddenly blows cold on drivers side and warm on passengers side. Anyone know reason what it could be thanks
Old 01-02-16, 02:57 PM
theazz
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a similar situation on my 03.
Kind of sounds like one of your servo motors (a vent motor that opens or closes ) is not working
( mine were dirty and had to be cleaned).
Check all fuses first, then go thru and work all your climate settings such as defrost, lower vents only
etc. and see if they all work. Each settings changes a servo motor vent flap that directs the air.
I believe you have 4 servo motors and they are located under and behind the dash.
Hope that helps.
theazz
The following users liked this post:
thombiz (03-26-22)
Old 01-05-16, 05:24 AM
mrhdk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi thanks for reply it is not fuse and air comes out of all vents but on air does not come out cold. My mechanic who doesnt do air conditioning said dash board has to be taken off - sounds expensive - any idea on price to fix thanks
Old 01-05-16, 09:20 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your car under the airbag recall? If so and hadn't been done then you might want to talk to the dealership and see if there were some deal you can work out with them.
Old 01-05-16, 09:40 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
Is your car under the airbag recall? If so and hadn't been done then you might want to talk to the dealership and see if there were some deal you can wo. rk out with them.
+1 that's a really good thought!!
Old 01-05-16, 04:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by bb430
Is your car under the airbag recall? If so and hadn't been done then you might want to talk to the dealership and see if there were some deal you can work out with them.
I tired this same concept to ask Lexus to fix my dash "bubble" where adhesive on the dash has failed while they were to do the airbag recall fix. They said that since they aren't removing the whole dash anymore for the recall and only going through the glove box, they would only offer me 50% on the over $1000 repair to fix a small 2inch bubble. I would be responsible for the other 50% and any additional charges that arose. Good luck.
Old 01-11-16, 07:49 AM
theazz
Driver

Originally Posted by mrhdk
hi thanks for reply it is not fuse and air comes out of all vents but on air does not come out cold. My mechanic who doesnt do air conditioning said dash board has to be taken off - sounds expensive - any idea on price to fix thanks
Still sounds like a servo motor isn't operating correctly. If you go to Lexus they could tell you for sure. If it is a servo I removed all of mine without removing the dash. I did have to remove some of the wood grain to get to it but it's very easy to do
thombiz (03-26-22)
Old 01-11-16, 03:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by theazz
Still sounds like a servo motor isn't operating correctly. If you go to Lexus they could tell you for sure. If it is a servo I removed all of mine without removing the dash. I did have to remove some of the wood grain to get to it but it's very easy to do
Can you be more specific on the procedure please?
Also, how many servos are there in the system?
Tks!

Last edited by Bgw70; 01-18-16 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-14-16, 09:13 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhdk
hi my 2004 sc430 only 45000 miles. I notice that the air conditioning suddenly blows cold on drivers side and warm on passengers side. Anyone know reason what it could be thanks
Sorry had to ask, are the temp settings the same? You have 2 thermostats and 2 temp setting *****.
Old 01-18-16, 01:36 PM
theazz
Driver

There are 4 servos on the SC430. They are simply a motor driven flap that is controlled by the mode selection on your climate control panel. My sound was apparently from dust collecting on the driver rod. I didn't know which one was bad or if I needed to replace one of them so I decided to remove all of them, clean them as best I could and see if that worked. Luckily for me it worked. However these new sell for about $115.00 each. To begin with from your browser type in
How to fix your Servo Motors SC430. That should take you to a club lexus entry by Odinson. He gives direction and some pictures that helped me. Youtube had some pictures also.
3 of the servos are on the passenger side and 1 is under the drivers side above the gas pedal to the right. Sewell Lexus parts also has some good details of locations.
I've tried to send attachments let me know if your able to see them.

SC430 servo-1.pdf

SC430 servo-2.pdf

SC430 Servo-3.pdf
lexixel (07-13-20)
Old 08-09-20, 11:23 AM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Due to a intermittent noise when the key is first turned to the "On" position each time, I've serviced two of the aforementioned servos: the driver-side and the mode one.

Some observations:
  1. The driver-side kick panel has two bolts, one of which is hidden behind a trim piece.
  2. The driver-side is quite hard to reach, due to limited working space; however, it may not be necessary to service it. I would recommend doing the passenger side first: only if the symptom persists would I suggest doing the driver side. This is because the passenger-side servos are next to the coolant pipes and the heater core. They're much more likely to degrade than the driver-side.
  3. The passenger-side servos can only be accessed after removing the glovebox, which is easy: 2 hex + 2 philips
  4. The mode servo is easy to remove.
  5. IMPORTANT: insert the connector before reinstalling the mode servo! It's not possible to plug the connector in with it in place.
  6. The mode servo would work EVERY time the key is turned to ON, with the AC OFF. So, if you have symptoms with the AC off, as it was my case, it is only this one that needs work.
  7. The passenger temp servo is unfortunately blocked by a vent pipe, which is connected to the entire assembly by two screws. One of these two is awkwardly positioned such that it could be easy to lose it when unscrewing. I skipped this part.
  8. When reinstalling, the position of the "arm" is not important as long as it's within the range that is valid for this car. As you can imagine, without the unit the linkage moves around easily / freely in some cases.

Driver-side temp servo

Mode servo