SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 10:43 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Winter driving

So, we've had our first "big" storm of the year. I say that with quotes because it was only an inch or two and some pretty serious ice.

I got the SC430 out of the driveway with a little bit of effort, but had a heck of a time trying to get it back up the driveway. It was getting stuck on the slightest bumps. As you can probably imagine, Michigan gets feet of snow, not just inches. I'm afraid if it gets stuck this easily, I won't be able to keep driving it this winter.

I'm going to try putting some sand bags in the trunk as it is my main car. But if that doesn't help, I am going to have to put her away for the winter and start driving my crappy 6-cyl 2.7L Hyundai for the winter (front wheel drive).

Anybody else here drive theirs in the winter? Any tips?

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-01-16 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 10:55 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Retro the wider the tires the worse it is in the snow. I know it sounds counterintuitive. The wider the tire the less pressure per square inch. A narrower tire and winter tires will help you out tons. As you already know I lived most of my life in Michigan. The lake effect snow in Grand Rapids is horrible. I think you'll be surprised at how much just winter tires will give you. It's well worth the investment. At least back in the day when I had rear wheel drive cars in the winter they had like 185 tires. It still would have been nice to have the winter tires they have now back then. Be safe retro.
Old 01-01-16, 10:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Move to Florida with the rest of us!

It's 85 degrees right now!

;-)

Seriously, I have read where others installed winter tires.
Old 01-01-16, 10:58 AM
Coleroad
Racer

If you don't have the money for a set of winters. Going to discount tire and having your current tires sipped will help too. I did that for many years till my first experience with winter tires. They gave me no trouble in the summer either with chunking or any oddities.
Old 01-01-16, 11:04 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Move to Florida with the rest of us!

It's 85 degrees right now!

;-)

Seriously, I have read where others installed winter tires.
I'd love to, honestly. When I get the fiancee here, I'm sure she will be pressuring me to move somewhere warm. Texas or Florida most likely.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-01-16 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 11:10 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
If you don't have the money for a set of winters. Going to discount tire and having your current tires sipped will help too. I did that for many years till my first experience with winter tires. They gave me no trouble in the summer either with chunking or any oddities.
Winter tires make that much of a difference, huh? Admittedly up until this car, all my cars have been front-wheel drive and I never had a problem with all-seasons. Thinner tires, too.

Guess I will need to go and splurge on some winter tires.

Should I still add some weight in the rear, though?
Old 01-01-16, 11:17 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Retro, when I researched the SC430 before buying it, I emediatly realized that it was one of the crappiest winter cars ever produced. For me this was not a deterrent as I would not be driving it in upstate NY winters. I truly would not have bought it if I was not planing on storing it for the winter.
Old 01-01-16, 11:23 AM
Coleroad
Racer

You get winter tires you'll never go another winter without them no matter rear or front drive. About the weight in the trunk it will help with forward bite, but it takes weight off the front tires. You'll have to decide what balance works for you. If you do use something like sand bags. It is less likely to become a projectile if God forbid you are in a accident.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ter-tires.html

Last edited by Coleroad; 01-01-16 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 11:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Here is what tire rack has for winter tires in our stock size
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...r=17&zip-code=
Old 01-01-16, 11:41 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

You get winter tires you'll never go another winter without them no matter rear or front drive. About the weight in the trunk it will help with forward bite, but it takes weight off the front tires. You'll have to decide what balance works for you. If you do use something like sand bags. It is less likely to become a projectile if God forbid you are in a accident.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ter-tires.html

Wow. I'm sold. Surprised I missed that thread from earlier this month. Thanks Cole for enlightening me!
Old 01-01-16, 11:41 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Retro, if I moved back to a snowy state. I would still put snow tires even on my Land Rover. They let you go smoothly through turns, stops, besides being able to go forward. It made a very capable off road four wheel drive even better in the snow. I lived in a cul de sac. They would leave the snow in the center of it. I would drive through 2 foot deep for fun in it. I tried that before winter tires and kinda got stuck. It took a while to work my way out of it.
Old 01-01-16, 12:04 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Retro, if I moved back to a snowy state. I would still put snow tires even on my Land Rover. They let you go smoothly through turns, stops, besides being able to go forward. It made a very capable off road four wheel drive even better in the snow. I lived in a cul de sac. They would leave the snow in the center of it. I would drive through 2 foot deep for fun in it. I tried that before winter tires and kinda got stuck. It took a while to work my way out of it.

Believe it or not, I've only gotten stuck once with the Hyundai Sonata LX with All-Seasons in all the 10 years I've owned it. The tires on that one are worn down pretty good and still handled the last two insane winters just fine. She drove right over the top of all that snow.

It shows it's age now, but still runs like a champ. I think I will pick up some snow tires for that one too.
Old 01-01-16, 12:19 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Believe it or not, I've only gotten stuck once with the Hyundai Sonata LX with All-Seasons in all the 10 years I've owned it. The tires on that one are worn down pretty good and still handled the last two insane winters just fine. She drove right over the top of all that snow.

It shows it's age now, but still runs like a champ. I think I will pick up some snow tires for that one too.
I get it retro. I drove many years just fine with all seasons. Even if you got them on your Hyundai I'm sure you would be thrilled with them. It's kinda like I had said its so much better I had to tell myself to remember to drive slower because they feel that planted. It is just safer when you can stop shorter and turn better. I would be excited to hear a review on snow tires from someone who it's their first set.in Canada it is law to have winter tires. ( October to March) I think those are the months.
Old 01-01-16, 12:24 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I get it retro. I drove many years just fine with all seasons. Even if you got them on your Hyundai I'm sure you would be thrilled with them. It's kinda like I had said its so much better I had to tell myself to remember to drive slower because they feel that planted. It is just safer when you can stop shorter and turn better. I would be excited to hear a review on snow tires from someone who it's their first set.in Canada it is law to have winter tires. ( October to March) I think those are the months.
I'll be sure to give a review.

Just to be clear - I wasn't arguing. I am completely sold after watching the video you posted.
Old 01-01-16, 12:25 PM
Coleroad
Racer

I think the best winter tire is the General altimax Arctic. They are not available in a dice for the sc 430 though. I think they are better than the blizzaks. They might come in a size for your Hyundai. They are not as expensive as blizzaks either.

Quick Reply: Winter driving