SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 12:30 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I think the best winter tire is the General altimax Arctic. They are not available in a dice for the sc 430 though. I think they are better than the blizzaks. They might come in a size for your Hyundai. They are not as expensive as blizzaks either.

Yep. Only $300 for a set for the Hyundai. Cheapest set of any of the winter tires for the SC430 is $650
Old 01-01-16, 12:32 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Sorry it came across that way retro. Two things, I love tires so I already get excited about them. I'm always looking at what tires are on cars. Weather at a light or parking lot or wherever. Two I was just so trilled by winter tires when I tried them. I get a little to rambunctious about it. It seems I'm always looking to see what my next set of tires are going to be. Even right after I get new ones. The ones on my BMW have less than a thousand miles on them. I still look at tires for it. Tires are such an easy upgrade and can make such a huge difference. I know I'm weird!
Old 01-01-16, 12:38 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Sorry it came across that way retro. Two things, I love tires so I already get excited about them. I'm always looking at what tires are on cars. Weather at a light or parking lot or wherever. Two I was just so trilled by winter tires when I tried them. I get a little to rambunctious about it. It seems I'm always looking to see what my next set of tires are going to be. Even right after I get new ones. The ones on my BMW have less than a thousand miles on them. I still look at tires for it. Tires are such an easy upgrade and can make such a huge difference. I know I'm weird!
Well, I certainly appreciate your expertise in this area. I am a dumbolt when it comes to this stuff. Electronics? I've got that. But I have never been much of a 'car person' before, so I have a lot to learn.

I appreciate everybody's patience here with the dumb questions I have.
Old 01-01-16, 12:46 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Retro, you have had my head spinning on some of the electronic stuff. I have no faith in me even doing a radio install. If it's a swap of the same kind of radio ok. But if it involves new wiring and such. I'm taking it to someone. That and I have a huge fear of breaking interior trim panels when removing them.
Old 01-01-16, 01:01 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

That and I have a huge fear of breaking interior trim panels when removing them.
I need to share that fear. I've spent more than a set of winter tires on replacing stuff I have broken or replacing parts that were already broken or really dinged up. But that's how you learn.

Breaking that AC controller really knocked me down a peg. Much more careful now.
Old 01-01-16, 08:58 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Retroplay
Yep. Only $300 for a set for the Hyundai. Cheapest set of any of the winter tires for the SC430 is $650
I got my Falken Eurowinter HS449 at $525 installed at Pepboys Nov 2014. It was an unbelievable deal and I had them on my OEM rims. I run after market rims with my summer tires.

Retro, don't mess with snowy roads in the SC. Just don't do it. I had to abandon my SC a mile from the house despite having Conti DWS ( the best all seasons for snow supposedly ) cos I just could not get it up a hill.

A V8 upfront with RWD is the worst combo possible for climbing a snowy hill. And then you get issues with stressing your trans if you keep going at it. Just don't do it.

Get the winter tires and be safe ( and be able to get the car and yourself home). Or keep the SC in the garage until late March or April like some other folk.

Don't do what I did and chance it with all seasons on snow in the SC. Not worth it. Everyone who told you to get winter tires is 100% right.
Old 01-02-16, 02:50 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by OBP
I got my Falken Eurowinter HS449 at $525 installed at Pepboys Nov 2014. It was an unbelievable deal and I had them on my OEM rims. I run after market rims with my summer tires.

Retro, don't mess with snowy roads in the SC. Just don't do it. I had to abandon my SC a mile from the house despite having Conti DWS ( the best all seasons for snow supposedly ) cos I just could not get it up a hill.

A V8 upfront with RWD is the worst combo possible for climbing a snowy hill. And then you get issues with stressing your trans if you keep going at it. Just don't do it.

Get the winter tires and be safe ( and be able to get the car and yourself home). Or keep the SC in the garage until late March or April like some other folk.

Don't do what I did and chance it with all seasons on snow in the SC. Not worth it. Everyone who told you to get winter tires is 100% right.
Thanks. I really appreciate all the advice. Right now I am just debating whether to toss on some winter tires on the Hyundai and put the SC430 away (much cheaper and less likely to have any issues) or spend the bucks on winter tires for the SC430 and hope that's enough.

Leaning towards putting the SC430 away at least for this winter while I sort it all out and better prepare for next winter. Probably better than dealing with an unknown.
Old 01-02-16, 05:59 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Cole, what are your thoughts on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s?
Old 01-02-16, 07:18 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Cole, what are your thoughts on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3s?
That's what is on our sc. I think it's a great tire for 3 seasons. I think even if I was Shawn up in Oklahoma I would run winter tires from December to March. They get some snow, but seems like lots of ice each year, and that's way worse than a few inches of snow. They are called winter tires instead of snow tires now because they grip better in low temperatures. So even if you don't get tons of snow they can help In temperatures below 45 degrees. Winter tires stay much more flexible in cold weather. Just like when a race tire tire is cold it doesn't have the same grip as when it get warmed up. The winter tire is like a warm race tire, grippie,. Here in Houston yes it get below 45 but not much and not for long. If it should ice or snow here. Which it has before. I'm staying off the road! People on summer tires who think they should drive anyway ( I stay home).

Don't get me wrong you can get through a winter on a set of all season tires like the a/s3's and not get in a wreck. I did for many years like others on here. My eyes were opened the first time I used winter tires. Their was a lot less white knuckle driving.

One good example was there was a stop light in our town at the top of a hill. At the bottom was the st. Joseph river. I was sitting next to a f150 4x4. Light changed I pulled form the light with only minor wheel spin. He was still at the light when it changed red. It wasn't uncommon in that spot for only one or two cars to make that light if it was really slippery. I had have to back down that hill before. Not after I had winter tires. I'm one who doesn't drive on worn out tires either. I
Old 01-02-16, 07:30 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Here's an old thread with my experience with Blizzaks (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...the-sc430.html). I will add that I WISH i had snow tires during this winter. Used a set for the last two winters, but they expired as I was gifted them by a member of this forum (which was a true headache to mount due to old rubber and led to my TRD wheels getting ruined). The set that I had purchased was amazing after getting them mounted! Really made a night and day difference in traction in the snow and especially the ICE (as mentioned above). It's not necessarily the snow that's the worse. The ICE is a major game killer. Especially with how heavy our SCs are, they just don't hold traction well and that back end just slips and slides around. Anyone expecting true winter weather, please consider a dedicated set of snow/winter tires! With that said, right now I can't afford a new set, so I'm using 20" all season, but I have a SUV now that is our main winter driver for snow days. Luckily, this winter has been mild in the Chicago area. Knock wood. If it gets worse, looks like I'm going to be breaking out my hiking boots.... they have great snow tread, too.
Old 01-02-16, 08:00 AM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

On topic re Blizzaks but just a little off topic for the car. Just mounted my Blizzaks with spare AMG rims on my CLS550 30 minutes ago. So both the SC ( on Falken Eurowinters) and the Benz (on Blizzaks) are ready for any white stuff. Bring it on !
Old 01-02-16, 08:09 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

So, today I put the SC away and prepped it for storage. I have decided that it makes more sense, at least for this first winter, to invest in winter tires on the Sonata and just drive that.

The main driver in this decision is that I am familiar with and comfortable driving the Sonata in the winter. And the tires are less than half the price! If it gets banged up, I (and my pocket book) wouldn't cry as much as I would if it were the SC.

It also gives me an excuse to put a little more TLC in the neglected Sonata. I plan to hang on to it for awhile as a family car. It has been a very reliable car for me. It's a 2002 with 160K so it's only worth maybe $1200. It wasn't worth it to me to sell it or trade it in. I've had to spend maybe $2000 total in repairs\maintenance on it since I bought it and $1K of that was earlier last year.

This one is not mine. Mine has darker tint and more chrome. But pretty much looks like this. I can hear the snickering, but I have gotten a lot of compliments on that car over the years and it has been the lowest cost-of-ownership of any car I have had. Paid only $11K for it in 2004. Paid off in 2006 and didn't need any major repairs until last winter when I replaced the main electrical system and timing belt (the remote starter burned it up.)

So the bonuses are:
1. I can do some mods on the SC I have been putting off because I couldn't finish them in one evening.
2. I can spend more time to get the SC better prepared for next winter. For winter tires, I would really like to go with run-flats, I think (correct me if that's a bad idea.)
3. I will be putting fewer miles on the SC

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-02-16 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-02-16, 08:30 AM
Coleroad
Racer

[qQUOTE=Retroplay
2. I can spend more time to get the SC better prepared for next winter. For winter tires, I would really like to go with run-flats, I think (correct me if that's a bad idea.)

I personally wouldn't go for RFT's. That is up to personal preference though. You'll have a lot less selection. I've never been sorry I dumped RFT's on any of my cars. I know they advantages, but that doesn't outweigh the disadvantages to me. Again that's my personal opinion for me.
Old 01-02-16, 08:34 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

[qQUOTE=Retroplay

I personally wouldn't go for RFT's. That is up to personal preference though. You'll have a lot less selection. I've never been sorry I dumped RFT's on any of my cars. I know they advantages, but that doesn't outweigh the disadvantages to me. Again that's my personal opinion for me.
Really the only advantage would be not having to worry about changing a tire in sub-zero temps. And not carrying a spare.

What are the disadvantages? I've heard mainly rougher ride and more noise. And of course, fewer choices. What else?
Old 01-02-16, 08:42 AM
ogjohnsmit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What you need as a second car is the Lexus LX470. I got the LX first before my SC and the LX is the same if not a little better in build quality than the SC.

I just took the family up to Flagstaff to play in the snow. I took one of those mountain side roads covered in snow up one side of the mountain and down the other, about 15 miles, only to find the other side of the road back to the main road closed so we had to backtrack the 15 miles we just came.

The LX was in 4-high the whole time except up a hill covered with about 2-3 feet of snow. Wheels started slipping and the traction control light started to come on and we stopped moving forward. I pushed the 4-wheel locker button and regained traction back up the mountain.

I've been in the snow in 4x4 trucks before but the LX feels more sure-footed in any weather or road condition an would highly recommend if you like your SC and Lexus quality and reliability.

Quick Reply: Winter driving