SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Possibly illegal - Laser backup light

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 04:58 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Possibly illegal - Laser backup light

Has anyone installed one of those lasers on the rear of their car?

They are sold as anti-collision warnings in low visibility conditions. They shine at the ground some distance away from the car.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Anti-...265320780.html

What I was thinking about, though, was a reverse indicator for two purposes.
1. To let others know you are backing up, out of a parking space, for example.
2. Extend just to the sides so you can easily see the alignment of your back end while reversing.

A laser would be needed to cut through fog, but just for reversing, one could probably just use an LED "projector" like CREE lamps with a filter.

For backup alignment, lines running out showing matching the width of your car, but for backup warning, one might want to illuminate a block of space or row of lines to indicate where the car will be occupying.

Like most things I think about, somebody else already thought about it (I was actually surprised there was a product for this one) so wondering if anyone here has installed one and what they thought of it.

And also like most things, this evolved from some other thought which was puddle lights in the mirrors attached to the turn signals, but thought that might be a bit too obnoxious.

Last edited by Retroplay; 12-31-15 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 05:04 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

For the lines, they sell something like what I am thinking for bikes:

Old 12-31-15, 05:49 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Haha, I saw this last night on the interwebs and was going to post it to the wind defector debate! You beat me to it! Not sure how it would turn out and it might give someone a heart attack or at least a feeling they are about to be abducted!

Oh... and I did the mirror puddle lights and switchback door handle turn signals! I don't think it's obnoxious, and the turn signals really keep people from trying to merge into my blacked out car and the light is white during normal driving and only changes to amber when turn signal is activated. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-signals.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 12-31-15 at 05:53 AM.
Old 12-31-15, 07:12 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Haha, I saw this last night on the interwebs and was going to post it to the wind defector debate! You beat me to it! Not sure how it would turn out and it might give someone a heart attack or at least a feeling they are about to be abducted!

Oh... and I did the mirror puddle lights and switchback door handle turn signals! I don't think it's obnoxious, and the turn signals really keep people from trying to merge into my blacked out car and the light is white during normal driving and only changes to amber when turn signal is activated. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...n-signals.html

Saved it to my favorites. The thread is a little confusing and the videos no longer work. So to clarify, you installed yellow and white LED strip in the underside of the mirrors. You mentioned this was hooked to the door sill light which would come on when you exit the car and also when you hit the remote unlock? What does the yellow do?

From the posts, it looks like you put the turn signals inside the door handles? The white was connected to the fog lamps?

I definitely want to do the door handle lights, but just to highlight the handles when unlocking the car.

As for the turn signals, I was thinking more like the ghost lamps projecting onto the ground from the mirrors as turn signals. So the turn signal would actually be seen on the ground beside the car.

Gahhh... wish I could see the videos of yours to understand it better

As for the lines, what I was thinking is just a couple of line lasers attached to the reverse lights (maybe even mounted inside the reverse lights themselves). They would just project a line on the ground when the car is in reverse. A laser is great in that it will identify the profile of the ground, so when you are backing up, it is easy to see where the curb is or edges of the driveway.

I *think* it wouldn't be illegal since they would only be on while backing up. Though it would be kind of cool to have a line run along the sides of the car to prevent the merging problem you mentioned. That would likely be illegal, though, just like underbody lights.