Coils and valve gasket questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 12:28 PM
stormdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coils and valve gasket questions

Originally Posted by iwork2ski
I purchased StrongArm struts/lifts from www.liftsupportdepot.com for my RX330 lift gate. These struts did not last 2 years. On the StrongArm web site they stated that most struts fail within 5 years, but theirs did not make it past 2 years. I also purchased StrongArm trunk lifts for my LS430 and they are also failing to keep the trunk lid from slamming shut after 2 years. I would avoid the StrongArm brand. Has anyone had better luck with a different brand that would last longer than 2 years?
ugh, really? I just joined this forum and was about to seek help with another fix that I need on my 2002 Lexus SC430 (ignition coils and valve gasket replacement), when I came here first out of curiosity.

I just yesterday was so thrilled to find an ebay seller offering the trunk lift "air-shocks" (or struts). Cost me about $25.00 for the pair and are on the way. Guess what though? They're also from liftsupportdepot.com?! Funny thing too, the reason I purchased from them was their ebay ad write up how their shocks to not just lay around and are "fresh" therefore insuring a long lifespan (given that they lose pressure over time). I guess we'll see what happens.
Old 12-30-15, 12:41 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts
Default Coils and valve gasket questions

Originally Posted by stormdude
ugh, really? I just joined this forum and was about to seek help with another fix that I need on my 2002 Lexus SC430 (ignition coils and valve gasket replacement).
If the valve cover bolts are loose then you most likely only need to tighten them to about 10-12ft lbs.

Why are you changing the coils?
Old 12-30-15, 12:55 PM
stormdude
Driver School Candidate

Hi All! Basically a "newbie" here (within the Club Lexus world). I hope i'm not "hijacking" Heather's post while seeking help for my particular situation. If so, please simple inform me the appropriate place to post this.

I have a 2002 SC430 that has a recent history of a couple ignition coils needing replacement. Now, am back at it again but clearly see that oil from the Valve gaskets are the culprit. To get right to it, before knowing about the valve gaskets, I was quoted $200 in labor to have all 8 coils and plugs replaced. Now that the valve gaskets have come into the picture, I'm being quoted a total of $600 for labor (replace gaskets, coils, and plugs). The math just doesnt seem right and I cant help feel that I'm being charged labor for each job seperately, while the plugs and coils would seem to be an automatic part of the process to access and replace the valve cover gaskets. Am I wrong here?
Old 12-30-15, 01:22 PM
stormdude
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
If the valve cover bolts are loose then you most likely only need to tighten them to about 10-12ft lbs.

Why are you changing the coils?
Well, long story (hopefully made short , I've had a recent history of a couple ignition coils needing replacement and the car does have about 140,000 miles on it.

One day my car starting running very rough and even close to stalling. Was a little better after turning off the A/C, but ultimately checked the computer codes and accordingly changed out the appropriate coil. At the time, all then was good. Then, yet again - same issue however my mechanic at the time did notice some leaked oil around the plug and suggested that at minimum I should change out all the coils or else they'll likely each go, one at a time.

Now, am back at it again but clearly see that oil from the Valve gaskets are the culprit. To get right to it, before knowing about the valve gaskets, I was originally quoted $200 in labor by my new mechanic where I now live, to have all 8 coils and plugs replaced. Now that this mechanic more closely inspected the vehicle, the valve gaskets have come into the picture because they're leaking and this is the root cause regarding the coil failure. I'm being quoted a total of $600 for labor (replace gaskets, coils, and plugs). The math just doesnt seem right and I cant help feel that I'm being charged labor for each job seperately, while the plugs and coils would seem to be an automatic part of the process to access and replace the valve cover gaskets. This is where I'm at right now, and just not sure if I'm being overcharged to simply change out the plugs and coils, while now having to deal with the larger valve cover gasket replacement
Old 12-30-15, 01:25 PM
stormdude
Driver School Candidate

BGW70, to your point. That would really suck if all i was simply dealing with, were a few bolts that somehow worked themselves loose thus causing oil to work up and around one or more of the coils and ultimately fouling them out. Knowing (or figuring that out) this however, is likely beyond "my paygrade" lol. That, plus the vehicle was just delivered to my shop and awaiting my decision on how to proceed.
Old 12-30-15, 01:33 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Common on these cars the bolts loosens. Many including myself able to turn them with their fingers. But in your case if it were me with that many miles and oil sitting on the plugs. I would pull the covers clean them and install new gaskets.

As far as the price by the technician. Ask him for a break in the labor. Since they are combined into one job.
Old 12-30-15, 01:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Copy all stormdude, the additional details provided clarity as to why you are doing this much work.

When I purchased my 2002, 63k miles, last year, I had an oil leak and it was the valve covers. The bolts were loose, tightend them to spec and the oil leak stopped. I did purchase a new valve cover kit to include the spark plug tubes from rockauto but it is sitting on my work bench with the transmission filter and pan gasket. I decided to flush all of the fluid and keep the OEM filter installed.

If you need help just give a shout, there are some really smart guys here (coleroad retroplay and many others)