SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

THE LED zep question of 2015 re. LED high beam/dri

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-15, 09:41 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default THE LED zep question of 2015 re. LED high beam/dri

I am going to crash down like a Led Zep for how many posts in past 10 yrs are close to this one but...bratty me, I am scoffing at the idea that I can't somehow have my DRL and LED too..on different watt/output levels, i.e similar to OEM.with the harness and relay kits telling me hey I can have the LED on as a DRL in daytime! That's like paying big bucks to have your
high beams on to **** off daytime drivers, your inspection station (unless you pay to turn off drl before a test, and possibly, heheh, the law!!
Wow, do I really wanna chance that? Well, muhbee: gain light now ask me how, with a 9005 *high beam" LED with two elements or light patterns built in...either fool, err, full watt (what is it, 45w max?), and the low one just like a "low beam" on a quad set up (which I guess is H4 and other headlight 4 set units?).
Hate to dazzle the LED mfrs. but why in heck don't they make a 9005 dual use/brightness bulb? It wouldn't take much to have a drl peripheral band of 3 leds on the base and the standard high ones as usual up the circumference of post, etc! Why don't they do that?
I'm going to assume they leave 9005 out b/c someone like me wanting to use it to manipulate certain bulbs into doing double dipping, eg. running when not supposed to be outside of their designed set up.
I'm banging my head b/c there are a few 9005 bulbs on ebay and such who write "dual beam hi low 9005" but when I read the descriptions, it's not there...not true?
Happy new year-looks like my only other idea is have fogs on as drls and use LED for[
high beams. ANyone venture a guess how much my wallet would have to go down to accomplish this (am also considering HID fogs).
I mean, is there anyone going around with full output LEDs as drl's? Sounds like admitting to doing certain chemical substances...sure you don't!
QUOTE] hig[/QUOTE]

Regards
Jon
P.S, anyone care to make a compulsive list of what ebay and amazon "brand" names of HID's are NOT crap...shouldn't be too many, therefore I guess easy..but what's with the internal fans on H3's or weird radiator tape chinese fan "cooling"?

Last edited by Buggeroff6; 12-29-15 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 10:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Ok so I think this idea might have you a little confused. I have 9005 LEDs and decorders from ijdmtoy.coom in my car that serve as the High Beam/DRL. When active in the daytime as the DRL state they are illuminated at about 80% (ie. of the eight rows of led's, six are illuminated.) When I toggle the high beam, the other 20% (other 2 rows illuminate). At night when the low beam head lights are on, naturally the DRL function is off and therefore isn't illuminated. At night, flashing the LED High Beam will illuminate the 9005 100% (10 rows). With this said, this 9005 LED is nothing compared to an actual OEM halogen, as the halogens have more wattage and actually have directed/channeled light. The LEDs disperse wide and therefore don't give a concentrated burst. With a 9005 LED, you would see two different (although minor) intensities between DRL function and high beam function. Hope this clears up the confusion and aids in your modification.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 12-29-15 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-29-15, 10:55 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

That is very helpful, esp. considering there's a fair amount of negative comments about the "quality" of JDMTOY products and poor return/support policies. That aside, it deserves mention they had their own answer to me which was the DRL and HIGH BEAM levels of overall light are basically THE SAME (their words not mine, and I admit I'm tired chasing Ebayers around to see if 6 LEDS good/8 LEDS baaaad for keeping outa trouble with the law and pissin' off the oncoming trafficos. I guess your set up works for you, but your comments about LEDs are distressing..I am pretty worried there's not that much difference in lumens to the average inspection sta./motorists/cops bet. output of light of 6--8....you are basically saying it's oranges from FLA vs CA, as opposed to big/small tomatoes, etc ad infinitum.
I guess I'm not ready for laser Audi A8's..but I thought some good might come out of putting em' in instead of Edison era halogens, in a 14 year old car!
..I'm either back to using a HID for high beam-a non starter for anyone with a brain in me, b/c they all say they can't flash to pass or warm quick enough for the intermittent snappy uses.
Oh well, maybe there's a 200 w 9005 out there somewhere (with a 4 month half life at best)!! Thanks for your help, and it was VERY understandable!
BTW, if you think I sound desperate, there's a solution for every problem, including one like mine that shouldn't exist:http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTEC-6500K-9...BWIEsj&vxp=mtr

P.S it's also a prior discussion here/elsewhere, but if LED has no proper spread/spray, isn't it more suited to fog lights (though I'll bet HID is brighter, no)?

Last edited by Buggeroff6; 12-29-15 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 07:17 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Default For brighter whites and bluer HIDs (i.e LED/HID snake oil sales or good advice)?

I know there's no shortage of lack of originality, but I do want to paste some varying replieds on the virtue/vice of using aftermarket HID/LED high beam bulbs on a 02 SC430:

Pro on efficacy (says nothing bout' beam pattern):

PRO HID:"I have the 9005 LED kit in my prius high beam ,also DRL.

during DRL, the LED is running in lower voltage and much dimmer. when I turn on the high beam ,it will get full power"..re. product:http://www.ebay.com/itm/131503185610...S:1123&vxp=mtr

The vague: For this product it is only in a xenon white color. With the decoder wire setup it will allow the LED bulb to function on the high beam and the DRL., RE:White 9005 LED High Beam Daytime Running Lighting Kit + Bulbs For Lexus Toyota 130527404737

item 131621705705
. we have LED kit 9005. you may need relay harness to make it work if the voltage is too low.
I have LED kit in my toyota 9005 DRL and it works as DRL and high beam .

The less than helpful: Were not going to measure hundreds of cars to make sure they fit that's why we give measurements, The compatibility list is for Bulb size fitment and is only a guide and will fit but the base backing will depend on every vehicle , Please find a seller who will measure your vehicles measurements for you
60 Degree New Gen CREE LED 6400LM Fog Light Kit 6K 6000K Ice White\

LED’s can’t dim like a halogen bulb. The canbus would ensure the bulb gets proper power to prevent flickering but it would run at a full 12V, not a reduced power which is how daytime running lights work on a halogen bulb. The only way to maintain the current functionality would be to keep it as a halogen bulb.
...from Xenon Depot

Wow,the only answer for 21st century lighting power and design is the equivalent of a rotisserie heat bulb?
Perhaps I should trade the car in for the REAL modern SC430:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penlon-Plati...cAAOSwBahVS45t