Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-15, 11:21 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated

Hi all,
I'm going to swap my steering wheel for a repainted black wood grain one and need some help to remove my current dark maple wheel and replace it with this new one. I want to be careful, as I do know that I will reuse my inflator and don't want it to be ruined, nor any other essential parts of the steering wheel (cables, electronics, etc) Can anyone help or supply a DIY to accomplish this? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-15, 11:24 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

BGW, got that awesome shop manual handy?
Old 12-17-15, 12:23 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I admire your moxie. You will never know if there's a latent problem until AFTER the accident where you will be depending on the air bag to save your life.
Old 12-17-15, 04:26 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I admire your moxie. You will never know if there's a latent problem until AFTER the accident where you will be depending on the air bag to save your life.
Hahaha. that's very true. But who's to say that's its functional right now? It's all blind faith at this point, irregardless. But the safe thing is that it's MY airbag and not a used one... so at least I know it's proposed "status" as functional.
Old 12-18-15, 06:08 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Here you go Shawn!

Old 12-18-15, 06:30 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Awesome! Thanks so much! Might try to add some photos to this thread when I get to it!
Old 12-18-15, 10:23 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Your awesome Bgw
Old 12-19-15, 02:38 PM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a quick look at adding paddle shift a short while ago and took the wheel off to see how difficult it may be. Here are a few pictures that may help.

I think the removal sequence is as follows:-

I removed the battery earth lead.
Removed 2 screws holding the multi-function steering control switch module.
Unplugged the connector from the switch
Removed the plastic cover on the other side.
That reveals the 2 captive torx bolts that secure the centre pad with the air bag.
Loosen the 2 torx bolts to release the air bag.
I found that I had to wriggle the centre pad quite vigorously in all directions to free it.
Unhook the horn and air bag connections carefully and that gives access to the wiring connector that goes to the clock-spring and the nut holding the steering wheel on.
Disconnect the cabling and loosen the nut but don't remove it yet.
Pull the steering wheel until it's loose. Mine was quite easy but a puller might be required.
Mark the splines and the wheel so that you put it back in exactly the right place.
Most also advise to centre the steering wheel before removing the nut and wheel completely.

Unless you can reset the air bag light, don't reconnect the battery until reassembly is complete.
Attached Thumbnails Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81760.jpg   Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81763.jpg   Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81764.jpg   Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81766.jpg   Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81767.jpg  

Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-81768.jpg   Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-img_2127.jpg  
Old 12-21-15, 09:19 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Hello.

I would like to examine the connection to the windshield washer switch and then perhaps remove the switch for cleaning and/or replacement on my 2003. Will I need to remove steering wheel in order to do this, or will I be able to do this by simply removing the 2 or 3 covers that surround the upper part of the column?

My wipers are working, but there is no current getting to the pump.

Thank you.
Old 12-21-15, 09:26 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...is it possible that the unit has a fuse ?
Old 12-22-15, 05:14 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Yes. Checked lots of other stuff. I want to get to the switch to check it.
Old 12-23-15, 08:24 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Neil E
I had a quick look at adding paddle shift a short while ago and took the wheel off to see how difficult it may be. Here are a few pictures that may help.

I think the removal sequence is as follows:-

I removed the battery earth lead.
Removed 2 screws holding the multi-function steering control switch module.
Unplugged the connector from the switch
Removed the plastic cover on the other side.
That reveals the 2 captive torx bolts that secure the centre pad with the air bag.
Loosen the 2 torx bolts to release the air bag.
I found that I had to wriggle the centre pad quite vigorously in all directions to free it.
Unhook the horn and air bag connections carefully and that gives access to the wiring connector that goes to the clock-spring and the nut holding the steering wheel on.
Disconnect the cabling and loosen the nut but don't remove it yet.
Pull the steering wheel until it's loose. Mine was quite easy but a puller might be required.
Mark the splines and the wheel so that you put it back in exactly the right place.
Most also advise to centre the steering wheel before removing the nut and wheel completely.

Unless you can reset the air bag light, don't reconnect the battery until reassembly is complete.
Thanks to everyone for the info. Going to attempt tomorrow. NeilE, did the paddle shifters every work out? What year was your SC that you attempted? What is the new steering wheel in the last photo you've attached? Thanks.
Old 12-24-15, 03:43 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Got it done today! Pretty easy and the instructions above were 100% accurate. I did have trouble removing the horm pad/air bag inflator. I found that it is easier to remove the left hand capative Torx bolt, which created enough room for the pad/inflator to be removed easily. This should have been a 15 minute job, start to finish but I had to pause in the middle to run to Home Depot to get an extension for my socket wrench. Just a note to anyone who follows this thread, be sure you have the proper Torx attachment, a 3/4" socket for the actual steering nut, and at least a 5" extension. Other than that, really easy. Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated-img_20151224_113913.jpg  
Old 12-27-15, 06:07 AM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice work, yes I like that a lot.

I haven't returned to the paddle shift project yet. The steering wheel is from an IS250 with a full leather grip. The airbag and clock spring connections present the greatest challenge. I think I have a possible solution but need to source an IS250 clock spring and the under steering column connectors and loom.

Mine is a 2006 with the 6 speed box.
Old 12-28-15, 06:39 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Hello.

I would like to examine the connection to the windshield washer switch and then perhaps remove the switch for cleaning and/or replacement on my 2003. Will I need to remove steering wheel in order to do this, or will I be able to do this by simply removing the 2 or 3 covers that surround the upper part of the column?

My wipers are working, but there is no current getting to the pump.

Thank you.

I decided to wing it. I removed the three screws that hold the top and bottom cover that is just behind the steering wheel. The turn signal switch assembly is held in by only 2 screws on top. The only thing left was an electrical connector with about a dozen wires on it. Pulled out the assembly, removed the circuit boards and sprayed all over with compressed air. The sprayer switch has 5 small wires coming down the right-hand stalk that connects to one of the boards with it's own connector. So I took close-up photos of the circuit board for later research. I put everything back together and....IT WORKS!

It was no necessary to remove the steering column in order to get to the switches.

Quick Reply: Need to Remove Steering Wheel- Any Help Appreciated