SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone ever here a rubbing noise coming from pads, rotor area? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 06:05 AM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
That will help tremendously to try and help you diagnose it. By your original post it sounded like this problem started when the new pads were put on. Hence that's what spurred my response to be what it was. The more details the easier it is to give help, and it it not be so much of a guessing thing.

I wasn't implying you didn't know how to change pads. I was trying to think of something that was brake related that could make a metal to metal rubbing sound on all four corners. Not to many options if brake related. Especially true when your looking for the same sound front and rear. With the front being a floating caliper and the rear a fixed caliper. So the rear the caliper didn't even get removed with not changing the rotor. So pads are the only relatable things that were done front and rear on this brake job.
Ok so i jacked the car up yesterday and turned the front wheels, I could here the noise slightly as i spin the wheels. Also jacked the back up and put it on jack stands, I started car and let the wheels spin slowly didn't here any noise at all. So now I'm thinking back to lexus mentioning I would need to replace my lower struts, but would that contribute to the sound coming from the front tires if too much weight is placed on them. Because as i mentioned the noise wasn't as rough when I lifted up the front and turned the tires with my hand but I could hear it somewhat.
Old 11-30-15, 01:40 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

If it were me, I would not drive the car until I figured out what is wrong, could be something simple or something major.

Jack the car up and secure with jack stands, remove the two front wheels unless the noise is only on the drivers side, I noticed the video only showed the drivers side, do a visual on everything. Turn the rotor and listen for the noise.

Did Lexus write down what they thought was wrong? These cars have shocks, not struts. And a lower strut makes no sense...
They could have been referring to a lower control arm or ball joint.

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-30-15 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 02:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

look inside the wheel and anywhere else there is motion. Is the rotor rubbing?

I would also be checking The wheel bearing...

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-30-15 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-30-15, 02:25 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vicSC400
Ok so i jacked the car up yesterday and turned the front wheels, I could here the noise slightly as i spin the wheels. Also jacked the back up and put it on jack stands, I started car and let the wheels spin slowly didn't here any noise at all.
Not sure if you are up to the task, but what I would do next is remove a front caliper and suspend it by tying a rope to it and suspend it out of the way of the rotor and wheel (don't let it hang on the brakeline), remount the tire and hand spin it again. Now the only noise would be the wheel bearing. If it is quiet, then it is the pads rubbing on the rotor and not a bearing. Remove the pads and use a C-clamp and compress the piston into the caliper so it's fully expanded, now use spray brake cleaner to clean the area around the piston, remount the pads and the caliper and wheel and spin it. Should not have a noise since the pads should not be in contact with the rotor, but let's prove it. If no noise then apply the brakes so the pads come into contact with the rotor. Again spin it. If the noise returns, but the wheel spins freely, then ignore it. If the wheel drags and makes noise, then the piston is dragging in the caliper and needs to be rebuilt. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but this will find the problem. BTW, have you ever had the brake fluid flushed?
Old 11-30-15, 02:51 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

One other point, did you replace the pads 6 months ago with OEM?
Old 11-30-15, 03:18 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

But he said no change in sound when applying the brakes. This would rule out the pads, as the sound would change frequency.
Old 11-30-15, 03:20 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

The op should be able to grab the top and bottom of the wheels and see if there is play. If that sound is bearings their would be play.
Old 11-30-15, 03:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The op should be able to grab the top and bottom of the wheels and see if there is play. If that sound is bearings their would be play.
Agreed Cole, and I hope he sees that step in the video posted earlier...
Old 12-01-15, 07:57 AM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poqman
One other point, did you replace the pads 6 months ago with OEM?
No I didn't go back with OEM pads I went with
Akebono ACT771 ProACT Ultra-Premium Ceramic Brake Pad Set
for both front and back. Heard they were pretty great pads.
Old 12-01-15, 07:59 AM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

I tried to move both front tires grabbing top and bottom and shaking but no play in the wheel, I have had that issue with my cadillac in the past with bad wheel bearings so I think that rules that out.
Old 12-01-15, 08:02 AM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Agreed Cole, and I hope he sees that step in the video posted earlier...
I did notice my tires are wearing pretty bad on the inside on the front tires. I am taking those off tomorrow and replacing the run flats for a set of MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT XL. I heard the ride is 10x better. I will be taking it to Lexus tomorrow for an alignment mount and balance and to see what the heck this noise is, I'm exhausted.
Old 12-01-15, 11:28 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles on on this car?

Mine has the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, Great Tires

Keep us posted with the results...

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-01-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-01-15, 11:58 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by vicSC400
I did notice my tires are wearing pretty bad on the inside on the front tires. I am taking those off tomorrow and replacing the run flats for a set of MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT XL. I heard the ride is 10x better. I will be taking it to Lexus tomorrow for an alignment mount and balance and to see what the heck this noise is, I'm exhausted.
The tire wear is fairly well documented here on the forum. Mostly related to the alignment and camber (or is it caster?, I get those two mixed up sometimes). But it also can be related to front end components being worn out.
Old 12-01-15, 04:02 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
How many miles on on this car?

Mine has the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, Great Tires

Keep us posted with the results...
I have 227,000 on her.
Old 12-02-15, 03:23 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: New Tires are now on the car dumb flats are off. No More scrubbing noise, or tire noise. I didn't know my car could ride so new without them rough riding run flats. Bumps have been reduced to vey very minimum. Firestone did the install instead of Lexus because they offer lifetime alignments vs Lexus charging me $100 for every future alignment. I can't get over how well the convertible rides after driving so long on run flats. Had it not been for this forum I probably would have ordered another set of run flats. So that noise apparently was coming from the inner wear on the run flats. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever here a rubbing noise coming from pads, rotor area? Help