SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Anyone ever here a rubbing noise coming from pads, rotor area? Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-15, 09:48 AM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever here a rubbing noise coming from pads, rotor area? Help

I put brand new pads on my 2003 sc430 about 6 months ago, and have noticed this rubbing sound coming from all 4 tires. It is very noticeable and annoying. I'm wondering if I should have put brand new rotors on the car while I was changing the pads. I did not here this noise prior to changing the pads. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm attaching a link of a video so that you guys can hear it. Thanks in advance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaaz...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-28-15, 01:06 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

I think everyone would agree that you should hear no noise when your foot is off the brake pedal. However, putting new rotors on is unlikely to eliminate any type of noise. In 6 months the pads certainly have had the chance to form to any imperfections in the rotor. I know some would say that you always either resurface or replace the rotors at a pad change. I have not always done that and I have never had problems.
Old 11-28-15, 01:08 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Just to be clear, you have heard this sound for the last six months, is that correct?

Are pads the only thing you changed?

We're there any new shims, anything?

That is a very odd sound and does not sound like pads.
Old 11-28-15, 01:11 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Are there any marks on the inside of the wheels or anywhere on the rotors?

Look on the outer edge of the rotor and do the surfaces of the rotor still look and feel smooth.
Old 11-28-15, 02:18 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Without being able to see it first hand it would be very difficult to ascertain what the rubbing sound is a product of. The fact that it is coming from all four corners is kinda different. The front and back brakes are very different to do. Honestly in all my years I haven't heard that metallic rubbing sound, especially from four corners. There is a fair amount of space between the wheels and the calipers on all four corners. That sound would not come from not changing rotors, even if they were badly worn. As I'm writing this I have thought of one incident I saw many years ago. I had a person brought a car in and they had a pad on backing side on face the rotor. If I'm guessing by not seeing the car first hand I would say that is one of the few things that could make that sound. My guess then is pads are on backwards.
Old 11-28-15, 03:38 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I would be interested in knowing what happens when you jack up one wheel and spin it. Can you still hear it? Is the pad dragging? Is there any play in the wheel bearing? I need more data to draw a conclusion what it might be.
Old 11-28-15, 03:58 PM
Coleroad
Racer

I think the question is, does the sound change when the brakes are applied?
Old 11-28-15, 05:19 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Just to be clear, you have heard this sound for the last six months, is that correct?

I replaced all four pads with brand new pads and it wasn't making and type of sound like this until recently. I know for sure how to replace pads and they are not on backwards. It makes this sound whether applying brakes or not.
Old 11-28-15, 05:20 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I think the question is, does the sound change when the brakes are applied?
The sound is the same when brakes are applied as well.
Old 11-28-15, 05:23 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poqman
I would be interested in knowing what happens when you jack up one wheel and spin it. Can you still hear it? Is the pad dragging? Is there any play in the wheel bearing? I need more data to draw a conclusion what it might be.
I took it to the lexus dealer a couple of months ago when I was hearing that wining sound they told me that noise was road noise from the tires. They had it up in the air spinning the wheels and no noise was coming from tires. But now this scrubbing sound out of nowhere which isn't the same whining sound that was coming from tires a couple of months ago. I don't want to waste money on rotors if they aren't needed.
Old 11-28-15, 05:26 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vicSC400
I replaced all four pads with brand new pads and it wasn't making and type of sound like this until recently. I know for sure how to replace pads and they are not on backwards. It makes this sound whether applying brakes or not.
Then you may have something seriously wrong with your car...

Take a wheel off and spin the rotor, investigate but don't drive much...
You sound like you know what your talking about..
Provide more info and we will help!
Old 11-28-15, 05:30 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

No I didn't start hearing this sound until maybe a couple of weeks ago. There was no noise prior after I changed the pads not even a squeak which is what I was hearing before I replaced the pads.
Old 11-28-15, 05:35 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Then you may have something seriously wrong with your car...

Take a wheel off and spin the rotor, investigate but don't drive much...
You sound like you know what your talking about..
Provide more info and we will help!
First thing in the morning I will be taking wheels off and checking rotors, I'll take some pics and upload them here to see if anything looks shaky with the rotors. I really don't know when the last time the rotors were changed they didn't look bad when I changed the pads but I'm no rotor expert to say the least.
Old 11-28-15, 05:37 PM
vicSC400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Poqman
I will be jacking her up first thing in the morning will take pics and upload them. Thanks
Old 11-29-15, 08:14 AM
Coleroad
Racer

That will help tremendously to try and help you diagnose it. By your original post it sounded like this problem started when the new pads were put on. Hence that's what spurred my response to be what it was. The more details the easier it is to give help, and it it not be so much of a guessing thing.

I wasn't implying you didn't know how to change pads. I was trying to think of something that was brake related that could make a metal to metal rubbing sound on all four corners. Not to many options if brake related. Especially true when your looking for the same sound front and rear. With the front being a floating caliper and the rear a fixed caliper. So the rear the caliper didn't even get removed with not changing the rotor. So pads are the only relatable things that were done front and rear on this brake job.

Last edited by Coleroad; 11-29-15 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever here a rubbing noise coming from pads, rotor area? Help