SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hot air on feet with hardtop down - Solution Teaser

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 08:48 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I really think when the top's down, the computer raises the volume up to compensate for the wind noise. Do you guys notice the right side mirror tilts down when you put the car in reverse?
It should move both mirrors down,,and only if the mirror adjustment control is placed in the right or left position. If that control is in the center or neutral position, the mirrors will not move when the car is placed in reverse
Old 11-24-15, 08:59 PM
Zoolander
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue in my GS with hot air. My wife has a new RX and it doesn't do it.
Old 11-24-15, 10:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Yes, the gain (and treble) increases when the top is down (probably for wind noise as guessed above) BUT also the phase of the speakers is reversed when compared to top up. I've tested this many times and it's something that has been discussed over the years on this forum. Secondly, both mirrors should angle downward to help with reverse parking between lines when the mirror adjustment panel is placed in either R or L (not middle) and gear selector is in REVERSE. Upon shifting to park or drive, the mirrors will angle back to normal driving position. I don't believe it has anything to do with the slope that the car is sitting on. As for the headlights, after lots of trial and error with a failing right height sensor, I found that the car will only adjust the headlights at startup (ie. the headlight "bounce"--- which can be deactivated by pulling the leveling fuse on the passenger kickpanel). If they are bouncing up and down while in motion (as mine were), the driver should investigate either a failing front (driver) or rear (driver) ride height sensor.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-24-15 at 10:14 PM.
Old 11-24-15, 10:35 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
If they are bouncing up and down while in motion (as mine were), the driver should investigate either a failing front (driver) or rear (driver) ride height sensor.
Awesome. Yes, mine will do this and I thought that it was supposed to. I usually only notice it coming to stop or moving from a stop. I will definitely take a look at those sensors.

They are specifically called "Ride Height Sensors"?
Old 11-25-15, 01:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
As for the headlights, after lots of trial and error with a failing right height sensor, I found that the car will only adjust the headlights at startup (ie. the headlight "bounce"--- which can be deactivated by pulling the leveling fuse on the passenger kickpanel).
Is there a right and left height sensor in the front?

And only one on the drivers side rear.
Old 11-25-15, 03:03 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I found a video that shows how to remove them and clean the springs. It is for an IS300 but it looks identical to the SC430 sensor.

Old 11-25-15, 09:08 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

That video is quite accurate. There are only two ride height sensors on the SC430. One behind the front right drivers side tire. It is attached with two 10mm bolts, a wire harness (very hard to detach), and an adjustable arm link to the "suspension arm." In the back, there is only one behind the rear drivers side wheel. It is also attached by two 10mm bolts, a wire harness, and another adjustable arm link to the rear "suspension arm." I took two sets off a vehicle this past weekend, pretty easy once you remove the wheels. One car didn't have the wheel lock key and it was really tough. Had to jack the car up and literally place myself under the car and then keep turning the steering wheel to opposite side to let me get into the space behind the tire. Plus dangerous if the jack slipped. I was scared, for sure.

An additional note, if you purchase these NEW from Lexus or online, they will need to be programmed by Lexus and that gets CRAZY expensive! If you can find a used one, it has already been programmed and thus is just plug and play.

Also, I didn't open mine up and clean it as above. I didn't know that was even possible. I just purchased a used one from a part out and problem is gone. By the way, while mine we're bouncing up and down while driving (indicated by getting flashed highbeams by oncoming drivers), my headlight level dash error light was never illuminated. In the past it had come on a few times but could never get it illuminated when I took it in for diagnostic. I took it to Lexus twice and they ran "free" diagnostics and never came up with anything, or so they say. I finally got fed up and said they need to check the front ride height sensor, and they stubbornly said they did check them and if I wanted them to check it again, they would charge me (i think $139). Paid them. results finally came to say bad front ride height sensor. After a lot of wasted time and money, got a new sensor for $100. Plug and play replacement and now no problems.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-25-15 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 02:24 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

That was a good video!
It would have been nice if he continued on with the cleaning process...

When I replaced the front end bushings and rear sway bar bushings, the two height sensors were encountered. One front and one rear.
Old 11-26-15, 09:45 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
That was a good video!
It would have been nice if he continued on with the cleaning process...

When I replaced the front end bushings and rear sway bar bushings, the two height sensors were encountered. One front and one rear.
Agreed, but it looks like the springs are just wipers on a contact to act like a variable resistor. The contacts appear to be on the lid of the housing that he removed.

I don't get a headlight error either, but I have noticed my lights bouncing while driving. I assumed that they adjusted constantly for incline angle.

I'll be cracking mine open when we get a break in the weather to give mine a cleaning. When I do, I'll post up about it with more pictures.