SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Bought a 2002 SC430 today. Can't drop the top.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-15, 06:19 PM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bought a 2002 SC430 today. Can't drop the top.

I bought the car from the 2nd owner for a good deal because of the top not coming down.
He claimed that he bought the car that way and never cared to get it fixed. I asked what the problem was, and he did not know.
I've been through the forums checking out as much info as I can, and downloaded all the pdf's associated with the Package Tray removal and overhaul. I did check the most obvious first, Valet Button, Cargo Cover, etc.

When I press the top down button, I get 4 red flashes on the button itself, and that is all. No movement, no clicking sounds, no motors turning. If 'something' worked, I would know where to begin troubleshooting, but as it sits, I have no idea where to begin.

I wanted to ask you guys, what would you do in a similar situation.
Can I get a readout from the ECU? How could I get this reading? Would the Lexus dealership do it for a fee?

Is there an inexpensive part of the assembly to try to replace first just in hopes it fixes it?

I've always wanted the sc430 and they are hard to find in this area for less than $12,000. I got this on at a steal for $6500. (Or at least I think so), but I did sacrifice the functional hard top. So, even if I never get it working, I'm still excited that I own an SC.

Thanks

Is it worthwhile to begin disassembling the interior car (not my daily driver) and see if anything makes sense?

Last edited by fraggin; 11-22-15 at 06:20 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
BillGoat (06-25-22)
Old 11-22-15, 06:42 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personal experience is that the tray at the back hasn't been pulled. Have you checked the fuses? Its in the boot below the tray cover. Also, I'm no expert at all, but im assuming the ECU couldn't detect that the tray cover is hinged. Could it be the hinge itself? Again, im just assuming.
Old 11-22-15, 06:51 PM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure. I have not checked the fuses yet. Spent most of the day clearing a spot in the garage for the newest member of the family. I will check the fuses and start to get familiar with the pieces. Any idea if these are useful in troubleshooting the hardtop?
Amazon.com : Generic Mini Vci J2534 V8.10.021 for OEM Toyota Cable & Software TIS Techstream 2013 Newest : Vehicle Security Complete Systems : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Generic Mini Vci J2534 V8.10.021 for OEM Toyota Cable & Software TIS Techstream 2013 Newest : Vehicle Security Complete Systems : Car Electronics

Last edited by fraggin; 11-22-15 at 06:51 PM. Reason: one more question.
Old 11-22-15, 07:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Well, since it fails from the get go, I'd guess that it is not the package tray. It could be a sensor problem, like the cargo cover. If the cargo cover isn't seated properly, then it won't start either. It could be those sensors are faulty or it could be the roof ECU (which is in the trunk).

The roof mechanism is very complicated. There is scattered documentation on the forum here but nothing that makes it easy to diagnose.

If you are in the Dallas area, there are independent Lexus shops that are cheaper than the dealer. Since it is failing from the start and causing the red light to blink, it might be generating a failure code. Lexus will likely charge $100 to diagnose the problem, but maybe if you ask nicely, they will just read the code for you. Also try Toyota. That seems to be best first step to me.
Old 11-22-15, 07:49 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

We had this come up a few years ago. Answer one question: does the trunk open button (the one near the parking brake) work normally?

The "four flashes" and then stops flashing is a weird symptom.
Old 11-22-15, 08:00 PM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
Well, since it fails from the get go, I'd guess that it is not the package tray. It could be a sensor problem, like the cargo cover. If the cargo cover isn't seated properly, then it won't start either. It could be those sensors are faulty or it could be the roof ECU (which is in the trunk).

The roof mechanism is very complicated. There is scattered documentation on the forum here but nothing that makes it easy to diagnose.

If you are in the Dallas area, there are independent Lexus shops that are cheaper than the dealer. Since it is failing from the start and causing the red light to blink, it might be generating a failure code. Lexus will likely charge $100 to diagnose the problem, but maybe if you ask nicely, they will just read the code for you. Also try Toyota. That seems to be best first step to me.
Thanks for the advice. Are there sensors on both sides of the cargo cover? I only noticed a microswitch on the driver side.

I wouldn't mind asking the Lexus Dealer for a favor, even if they charge me $100, that's less frustrating than chasing a problem I can't see.

Sadly, I'm in the houston area, so that narrows my options to two locations I trust.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
We had this come up a few years ago. Answer one question: does the trunk open button (the one near the parking brake) work normally?

The "four flashes" and then stops flashing is a weird symptom.
Yeah, the trunk releases via the button on the inside and by the key fob.
I did listen for trunk release, buzzing, whirling, clicking, etc when I press the button to drop the hardtop, but alas, nothing.
Old 11-22-15, 08:26 PM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Also, a pic.

Day 1 of ownership of a 2002 sc430.
BillGoat (06-25-22)
Old 11-23-15, 05:33 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Fraggin, you could try clear choice automotive. They specialize in Lexus . They deal in body and upholstery too. Kind of a one stop just like a dealer only less expensive. I have had my car there.
BillGoat (06-25-22)
Old 11-23-15, 06:13 AM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the recommendation. If I can't find a reasonable place on the north side (Spring,), I'll make the drive.
Old 11-23-15, 06:21 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Originally Posted by fraggin
Thanks for the recommendation. If I can't find a reasonable place on the north side (Spring,), I'll make the drive.
I sent you a pm
Old 11-23-15, 07:26 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

If you have access to a code reader, here are the associated trouble codes for the hardtop:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTCC__40001_.pdf (61.5 KB, 1044 views)
Old 11-23-15, 08:11 AM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Retroplay
If you have access to a code reader, here are the associated trouble codes for the hardtop:
Thanks for the trouble codes. I don't have access to a code reader yet, but was curious if the one that you linked in one of your other threads would read pickup these codes? If not, is there one that can be purchased for a reasonable price?
Old 11-23-15, 08:13 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Thanks for the trouble codes. I don't have access to a code reader yet, but was curious if the one that you linked in one of your other threads would read pickup these codes? If not, is there one that can be purchased for a reasonable price?
I can help you out if you would like.
Old 11-23-15, 08:23 AM
fraggin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I can help you out if you would like.
Thanks for the offer. I replied to your PM.
Old 11-23-15, 08:36 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

The Techstream cable I mentioned would be the better investment. Not only can it read the trouble codes, but it also allows you to customize some features of your Lexus.

Quick Reply: Bought a 2002 SC430 today. Can't drop the top.