SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 How to remove Nav from dash and can any year SC430 nav units be used

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-15, 09:54 AM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 SC430 How to remove Nav from dash and can any year SC430 nav units be used

Hi Folks, I have been looking and looking for a video or an array of pictures on how to remove my Nav screen / dash unit (2002 SC430) and have come up empty. I have found a couple videos that show how to remove the radio and climate panel, but nothing that goes further up to remove the nav. Does anyone know of a link, or thread or something of the sort that shows how?

The reason is that the "Tilt" feature no longer works. The door opens and closes just fine, but the screen no longer comes forward (like it used to) when turning it on, nor does the 'tilt' button bring it forward... It just stays in its 'back' posiition.

I have found a thread here where someone found replacement motors for literally just a few dollars each if the malfunction is other than the linkage.

The screen and nav function works fine. However, just recently the screen has developed what I can only describe as looking like little spider webs on it. It almost looks like a cell phone screen that has been dropped and incurred some minor spider web looking cracks. The surface of the screen is smooth, I do not think it is actually cracked. I live in Florida and the car has always been in Florida so I'm certain it has never been frozen. Has anyone experienced that sort of thing with theirs?

Finally, should I be able to find a whole replacement unit on Ebay at a very good price, are all years able to be used as a replacement. ( I wouldn't mind using a later year in hopes that it will provide an extended life. Plus perhaps it might have a better picture)

Thanks!

Old 11-19-15, 10:17 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I don't know much about the Nav Screen removal but I will say that I've never seen that type of "spider webbing." Stupid question, but are you sure there isn't any plastic or any screen protector on the screen? I've seen screens with scratches from fingernails but never anything like that. Also, I'm not completely sure if all years are compatible. Sorry, I wasn't much help on this one. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience.
Old 11-19-15, 11:02 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That looks like a screen protector (or a screen film) that is bubbling up. You can probably just peel that off and either replace it or leave it off.

I added a screen protector on mine years ago to protect the screen from scratches and in an attempt to minimize the finger print smudges that will no longer go away. (I wrote it up at the time, so the post will likely be sometime between 2006 & 2008.)
Old 11-19-15, 11:50 AM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Harold57
That looks like a screen protector (or a screen film) that is bubbling up. You can probably just peel that off and either replace it or leave it off.

I added a screen protector on mine years ago to protect the screen from scratches and in an attempt to minimize the finger print smudges that will no longer go away. (I wrote it up at the time, so the post will likely be sometime between 2006 & 2008.)

Hmmmm, I didn't think about a screen protector, guess I figured they didn't use that type of thing on them. When I tried to gently press against the screen with my thumbnail to test if it were a bubbling issue they didn't move at all... maybe I'll try to see if I can find or get under a corner to see if there is anything there that can be peeled off.
Old 11-19-15, 12:03 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

I believe this is an OEM film, mine did the same thing, only worse. I may be the guy you are referring too that found the motors. In my case they did not help.
BTW, my car is from Florida too.
Old 11-19-15, 12:13 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I don't know much about the Nav Screen removal but I will say that I've never seen that type of "spider webbing." Stupid question, but are you sure there isn't any plastic or any screen protector on the screen? I've seen screens with scratches from fingernails but never anything like that. Also, I'm not completely sure if all years are compatible. Sorry, I wasn't much help on this one. Hopefully someone will chime in with more experience.

Thanks Shawn, Harold is also suggesting that the spider webbing might be a screen protector of some sort... I'm going to see if there is anything I can peel off it.
Old 11-19-15, 12:19 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I believe this is an OEM film, mine did the same thing, only worse. I may be the guy you are referring too that found the motors. In my case they did not help.
BTW, my car is from Florida too.

Hi Bgw, as a matter of fact, yes! yours was the thread I stumbled on. Were you able to remove the OEM film? Did you find out what was preventing the tilt from working?
Old 11-19-15, 02:01 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

It seems like Retroplay dealt with a polarizing film but that may have been on the radio or A/C control screen rather than his NAV screen. (I think that it was on his epic "not afraid to mod" thread.)
Old 11-19-15, 02:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by hockeydad1
Hi Bgw, as a matter of fact, yes! yours was the thread I stumbled on. Were you able to remove the OEM film? Did you find out what was preventing the tilt from working?
No, I just gave up on it because the screen was in terrible shape, the plastic frame had a crack and I think there was something wrong with the small circuit board that controlled the open/close/tilt functions.

I was only out a few dollars and my time at that point and just purchased one from a salvage yard on eBay. It seems like it was around $200. I will try to check for you.

Anyway, when I hooked up the nav unit, all functions operated fine and the screen looked great. A year later and all is good.
Old 11-19-15, 02:51 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

No, I just gave up on it because the screen was in terrible shape, the plastic frame had a crack and I think there was something wrong with the small circuit board that controlled the open/close/tilt functions.

I was only out a few dollars and my time at that point and just purchased one from a salvage yard on eBay. It seems like it was around $200. I will try to check for you.

Anyway, when I hooked up the nav unit, all functions operated fine and the screen looked great. A year later and all is good.

I examined my screen very closely, if there is a protector (OEM or otherwise) it's edges are behind the frame, so there's no getting it off unless taken out of the dash I guess...

Do you recall what year your replacement came out of?

Did you do the remove and replace yourself?

Thanks
Old 11-19-15, 03:16 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I examined my screen very closely, if there is a protector (OEM or otherwise) it's edges are behind the frame, so there's no getting it off unless taken out of the dash I guess...

Do you recall what year your replacement came out of?

Did you do the remove and replace yourself?

Thanks
I looked up my eBay purchase history, I paid $215 and the unit is listed as 2002-2004. My guess, they are the same part number for those years. I think the 2005 up is different someway, possibly due to the Bluetooth cell phone stuff.

Here is a link to an eBay search for the correct units. I noticed one for $175 and the seller has 100% feedback.. It might be worth asking him a few questions about the unit. What year, how many miles were on the car it was pulled from, where did the car live...as you know, heat is not good for these units.
Also, DO NOT be bashful about making offers, all they can say is no, the best they can say is yes, or counter your offer...remember, it's eBay ;-)

As for the remove and replace, it's not a difficult task. The unit is held in by four bolts, but you must first remove the vent registers on each side. I did a DIY about watching movies on the NAV screen and showed how to remove the registers, the AC control and NAV screen.

You just need to work slow, be patient and double check how something is removed, if you get frustrated walk away because if you don't, it will cost you in replacement parts.

These cars are built very well and for the most part easy to work on.

Do you have automotive skills? Do you change your own oil or did you in the past? If you can do that, you can do this!
Old 11-19-15, 03:20 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

BTW, the NAV screen cover is held on by three screws, color is not an issue!

Here is my original screen...look familiar? :-)

Note the crack in the lower right side of the black frame

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-19-15 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-19-15, 04:11 PM
hockeydad1
Driver School Candidate

BTW, the NAV screen cover is held on by three screws, color is not an issue!

Here is my original screen...look familiar? :-)

Note the crack in the lower right side of the black frame
I found your post and those pics are exactly what I needed to see!! Thanks so much for directing me to it. I am not the most mechanical guy in the world, but far from the worse. I can tackle this project for sure. I don't think I'll try any mods because 1. I don't have the interest (or budget) at this time to change out the stereo for one of those awesome multifunction units. 2. If we are on a road trip that the Mrs. might like to watch a movie or something of that nature we just take a tablet and/or notebook along and hotspot one of the cell phones for internet access. However, I would love to trick my little hotrod up with backup cam & bluetooth or a usb or audio jack to plug my android (Samsung) phone into the stereo.
Old 11-19-15, 04:44 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

I found your post and those pics are exactly what I needed to see!! Thanks so much for directing me to it. I am not the most mechanical guy in the world, but far from the worse. I can tackle this project for sure. I don't think I'll try any mods because 1. I don't have the interest (or budget) at this time to change out the stereo for one of those awesome multifunction units. 2. If we are on a road trip that the Mrs. might like to watch a movie or something of that nature we just take a tablet and/or notebook along and hotspot one of the cell phones for internet access. However, I would love to trick my little hotrod up with backup cam & bluetooth or a usb or audio jack to plug my android (Samsung) phone into the stereo.
No worries at all, I was only directing you toward that thread for the instructions on the disassembly not the new radio or any other modification I did to the car.

There are certainly more inexpensive mods you can do with a nice outcome...for now, let's try to fix your NAV screen. Once you get the screen out, go back to the thread where I was working on the screen door motor and tilt motor. You can apply voltage to the motors directly and if they work then you have a different issue (like I did). A 9v battery should make the motors move. Applying the voltage either way is fine, and apply the voltage both ways to check the motor operation in both directions.

If the motors do not work, I posted the part numbers for the motors and I think I listed the company I purchased them from.

If you need help, just give us a shout.

Remember, Retro is an Electrical engineer and Cole is a Mechanical engineer, those guys know a heck of a lot more than me...I am just a technician and enjoy these challenges ;-)

BTW, I am in the Melbourne area, how about you?
Old 11-19-15, 05:35 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

No worries at all, I was only directing you toward that thread for the instructions on the disassembly not the new radio or any other modification I did to the car.

There are certainly more inexpensive mods you can do with a nice outcome...for now, let's try to fix your NAV screen. Once you get the screen out, go back to the thread where I was working on the screen door motor and tilt motor. You can apply voltage to the motors directly and if they work then you have a different issue (like I did). A 9v battery should make the motors move. Applying the voltage either way is fine, and apply the voltage both ways to check the motor operation in both directions.

If the motors do not work, I posted the part numbers for the motors and I think I listed the company I purchased them from.

If you need help, just give us a shout.

Remember, Retro is an Electrical engineer and Cole is a Mechanical engineer, those guys know a heck of a lot more than me...I am just a technician and enjoy these challenges ;-)

BTW, I am in the Melbourne area, how about you?

I'm not much help on this one. Not really in my wheelhouse. Car audio and such I take it to someone who knows what they are doing and can make it look good. If it's changing a speaker or something no biggie.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 How to remove Nav from dash and can any year SC430 nav units be used