SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 05:17 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
hey Bgw,none of the iOS apps I've used will read the tpms module. Not even a option on them. I use the ip ad on a mount. So I can have live data/full gauges. Engine, and trans live data, and as far as body only fault codes.
unfortunately you are correct! I would guess to say tech stream must use a different area or format to the TPMS values vs the standard codes. Installing a new TPMS sensor in our wheels is very simple and any tire shop will do it for you. The problem is programming the sensor and you need the $30 techstream software with cable.

Retro installed a computer in his car and would be able to run techstream in his car.

bottom Line, Bon has the best installation, IMO.
Old 08-23-16, 03:57 AM
Sundog49
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default TPMS Sensors

What is the name of the APP, and do you know if it is available for android? Also, I'm assuming you need to plug something into the OBD2 port to transmit the info.
Old 08-23-16, 12:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
hey Bgw,none of the iOS apps I've used will read the tpms module. Not even a option on them. I use the ip ad on a mount. So I can have live data/full gauges. Engine, and trans live data, and as far as body only fault codes.
its too bad they couldn't build an app that would display this info using the current TPMS sensors, but for $30 This Techstream software will do the trick...I don't know actual temp and pressure when I am driving around but I do know the TPMS system is functional.

Old 08-23-16, 07:32 PM
Maine
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked to complete my interior. Went from "that" to "this". After almost a year, I got the interior and electrical systems responding. Turned the key and was heart-broken when she would not turn... I know, I know, ECU flash, blah, blah, blah and all that. I was just hoping to hear her Purrrr. So its off to the dealership to get the ECU/Key flashed.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-aftint.jpg   What did you do to/for your sc430 today?-00d0d_c1icjw5tpgu_600x450.jpg  
Old 08-24-16, 02:12 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

At least you're making progress!
Old 08-25-16, 10:08 AM
landflyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CARCHET TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

CARCHET TPMS Tyre Pressure Monitoring System+4 External Sensors Cigarette Lighter

from Amazon for $100. After disabling my TPMS I still wanted to monitor my tire pressure so I gave this a try. They work GREAT! And pennies no longer fall into my unused cig lighter socket
The following users liked this post:
elibutton (07-31-21)
Old 08-25-16, 03:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Do you have any concerns about the stem mounted sensor being slightly loose and letting the air out of your tire?
Old 08-25-16, 04:25 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have concerns with loosening you can use the stem locks that tighten things up wrench tight. On the other hand, there are o-rings that seal the sensor to the stem that could leak. A soapy water mix can find this kind of failure with bubbling. But, of course, you now have a TPMS to monitor for leakage.
Old 08-26-16, 02:52 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sblevins
I also had been searching for a nonsmoker box, to no avail. So since my ashtray was missing and the interior was melted by the previous owner, I bought an ashtray. I followed the advice in an IS thread and removed the metal portion, so it is more of a storage box now.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9590052

Melted interior...

did you ever get around to fixing that hole in the leather? I have something similar but just a tiny spec.
Old 08-26-16, 08:31 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ltsr
did you ever get around to fixing that hole in the leather? I have something similar but just a tiny spec.
I did. Initially I went back to Best Buy Geek Squad, and of course the guy denied doing it, even though I know for a fact he damaged the leather when he removed the component. But there was no way I was going to be able to prove it if he dug in his heels, on a car with 67,000 miles on it. And it was a small price to pay for having a much better upgraded stereo and backup camera installed in the car. So I bought this stuff on Amazon, Sugru moldable glue. I saw a tutorial online where a guy used it to fix the dash of a Porsche - I think it was a Porsche. It actually worked pretty well. It was super easy to use. Now there is no way it is perfect, and yes, you can still notice it, but it is not the glaring hole it used to be. At least now, I don't have a gaping wound staring at me every time I look at the stereo or A/C controls. Sometimes now I don't notice it. It won't perfectly repair it back to normal, but the Sugru will make it less noticeable, especially if you have a black dash. The guy online had a cream one, and that was a lot harder to match and more noticeable. Still, better than the hole.

The hole in the leather is in the middle right portion of the photo - to the right of the 7:31 on the stereo. Still there, but better than it was.

The following users liked this post:
elibutton (07-31-21)
Old 08-26-16, 09:56 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by sblevins
I did. Initially I went back to Best Buy Geek Squad, and of course the guy denied doing it, even though I know for a fact he damaged the leather when he removed the component. But there was no way I was going to be able to prove it if he dug in his heels, on a car with 67,000 miles on it. And it was a small price to pay for having a much better upgraded stereo and backup camera installed in the car. So I bought this stuff on Amazon, Sugru moldable glue. I saw a tutorial online where a guy used it to fix the dash of a Porsche - I think it was a Porsche. It actually worked pretty well. It was super easy to use. Now there is no way it is perfect, and yes, you can still notice it, but it is not the glaring hole it used to be. At least now, I don't have a gaping wound staring at me every time I look at the stereo or A/C controls. Sometimes now I don't notice it. It won't perfectly repair it back to normal, but the Sugru will make it less noticeable, especially if you have a black dash. The guy online had a cream one, and that was a lot harder to match and more noticeable. Still, better than the hole.

The hole in the leather is in the middle right portion of the photo - to the right of the 7:31 on the stereo. Still there, but better than it was.
That is a winning post. Thank you for the details. Really, I appreciate it. I'm going to look at sugru.
Old 08-26-16, 10:13 AM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by ltsr
That is a winning post. Thank you for the details. Really, I appreciate it. I'm going to look at sugru.
Terrific, glad to help. I hope it works for you.
Old 08-26-16, 02:09 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I agree sblevins, that looks much better than a bare hole.

It sounds like it would be worth it for anyone in the future who plans to have dash work (radio installed or whatever, like air bag replaced) to take pictures of the dash and inform the installers that the leather on the dash is thin and vulnerable. So they need to be careful and possibly cover it up (painter's tape?). So then if there are any questions about damage afterwards, you've got the proof. Maybe even go as far as to tell the installer that before they take control of your car that you need a couple of minutes to take pictures of it. (Take the pictures before you come in but since they will still likely say those pictures were taken long before the work, pictures of the condition at drop off will hold much more credence.) Just a thought.
Old 08-26-16, 02:40 PM
sblevins
Driver

Originally Posted by Harold57
I agree sblevins, that looks much better than a bare hole.

It sounds like it would be worth it for anyone in the future who plans to have dash work (radio installed or whatever, like air bag replaced) to take pictures of the dash and inform the installers that the leather on the dash is thin and vulnerable. So they need to be careful and possibly cover it up (painter's tape?). So then if there are any questions about damage afterwards, you've got the proof. Maybe even go as far as to tell the installer that before they take control of your car that you need a couple of minutes to take pictures of it. (Take the pictures before you come in but since they will still likely say those pictures were taken long before the work, pictures of the condition at drop off will hold much more credence.) Just a thought.
That is a great idea, wish I had thought of it and will surely do it in the future.
Old 08-27-16, 11:02 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

You did a great job. It's barely noticeable.

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?