SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What did you do to/for your sc430 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-16, 06:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by lbintab
I've learned through the years some mods aren't always worth the gains. I'm sure an intake will help the engine breath but sometimes the additional maintenance is a hassle for shiney points under the hood. Personally I just use a regular oem filter.
Everything under the hood of my SC430 is factory except for the K&N air filter, which you cannot see, it is in the OEM air box.

Only OEM under the hood
Old 02-02-16, 06:50 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm saying it creates a maintenance need of cleaning the maf sensor. Yes, a small amount of oil will get on it, and it can affect its accuracy.

I'm not saying an oiled filter is a bad choice.
This discussion prompted me to do more research. I found yet another thing that has changed since I was in school and worked in the field. Maf sensors have evolved. The style that is used in the sc430 and all other cars in this era are different than earlier types. The resistance wire is heated after the engine is shut of turn burn off any oil that may get on it from the pcv system under back pressure when the throttle closes rapidly.. Thusly it would be safe to say that what small amount of oil that may come off a freshly oiled filter would be burned off too.

So my statement would only be true for the older style maf sensor. (80's and most of 90's )

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor
Our car use a hot wire, not a cold wire maf. The hot film maf does not have the burn off feature. The hot film ones are the ones that look like a honeycomb.

Last edited by Coleroad; 02-02-16 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 09:27 PM
ecpeters
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MeisterR coilovers + poly steering rack bushing + poly sway bar bushing install today

The following users liked this post:
elibutton (07-31-21)
Old 02-11-16, 05:41 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

[QUOTE=ecpeters;9361482]MeisterR coilovers + poly steering rack bushing + poly sway bar bushing install today

So how do you like your new bushings? Did they make a significant difference in handling/cornering? Any added harshness to the ride? I purchased new poly steering rack bushings a while back, but haven't installed them yet (too cold and snowy in Nebraska right now)...
Old 02-15-16, 10:46 PM
ecpeters
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=riknchar;9361766]
Originally Posted by ecpeters
MeisterR coilovers + poly steering rack bushing + poly sway bar bushing install today

So how do you like your new bushings? Did they make a significant difference in handling/cornering? Any added harshness to the ride? I purchased new poly steering rack bushings a while back, but haven't installed them yet (too cold and snowy in Nebraska right now)...
I LOVE the bushings. It's hard to tell how much of the change is the suspension vs the bushings but everything is tight and right so far.

The biggest difference was in the famous deadzone older lexus's can develop in steering response. It's not super tight ratio-wise, I still need to turn the wheel quite a lot, but the feedback is much better.

MeisterR did a great job on the coilovers too, I've finally felt like the car has woken up. Nothing squeeks or rattles, camber is a little negative for my taste but our cars have always had that problem.
Old 02-22-16, 08:50 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

-Reflactors-
Old 02-23-16, 09:32 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Did you paint them or had caps over the trims?
Old 02-23-16, 02:47 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Did you paint them or had caps over the trims?
Its a photo shop and I like it (simple-cleaner look) waiting for the Club Lexus opinion to paint it.....
Old 02-24-16, 12:44 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

You could always black them out and black your tail lights. I have this look and get lots of compliments on how sleek the rear end looks.
Old 02-24-16, 04:43 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
You could always black them out and black your tail lights. I have this look and get lots of compliments on how sleek the rear end looks.
(1) how did you black them out?

(2) reversible? undo-able?
Old 02-24-16, 06:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I originally used dark tint adhesive film, check out RFTint on ebay, on both the upper garnish and the tail lights. Then I scored a second set of both upper garnish and tail lights, so I painted the second set with VHT NiteShades. The tint film is reversible but the spray paint is not reversible (without lots of work like paint stripping, clear coating, etc). You can always test with the adhesive film to check the look, as I did. Then upgrade to the permanent solution with the spray paint, if you like the look.

As for a DIY, the upper garnish and the tail lights are sooooooo easy to remove. There is a step by step tutorial on this forum.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 02-25-16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 02-25-16, 12:33 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Prasha
Its a photo shop and I like it (simple-cleaner look) waiting for the Club Lexus opinion to paint it.....
....looks good & different....I also did the vinyl tint that Shawn mentioned, I preferred to keep the vinyl, so that I could reverse it, if needed
Old 02-26-16, 10:44 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

ShawnOk and texsexlex,

Thanks for your suggestion about using the vinyl film, good idea!

I found this on ebay : http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x48-Neo-C...EAAOSwLVZV4Bj0

I am still waiting for more opinions from other members about the looks of body paint on the reflectors
Old 02-26-16, 11:27 AM
bb430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would paint them if that's the ultimate look you would like to have. eBay has those reflectors you can get as an extra set when you want to switch them back.
Old 02-28-16, 01:50 PM
Helogadget
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I did today was 4 new Stoptech drilled slotted rotors and pads, and stainless steel brake lines. 6 hours nonstop. Sure stops good now. :-)

Quick Reply: What did you do to/for your sc430 today?