SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2005 Radio in 2003. It works.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 03:46 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2005 Radio in 2003. It works.

Well, there was some discussion about this a while back whether this was possible or not. The main reason for the interest is because 2005+ supposedly supports an external CD changer and most of the really cool accessories always state 2005+ compatible only.

While I was ordering a replacement A/C control unit, I stumbled on an eBay listing for a 2005 SC430 radio going for $100 with a supposed bad CD deck. I decided what the heck and ordered it.

Today it arrived. I opened it up to see what was wrong with the CD player and the door was just misaligned. Fixed the door.

Cleaned it up, and decided to see what the buttons would look like if I just removed the green rubber filters over the lamps instead of installing LEDs. I just pulled them off with tweezers.

Anyway, I got it all installed in the car and so far everything appears to work just fine with the possible exception that the GPS display isn't coming on when first opened. But if I push any of the navigation buttons (Menu, info, destination, etc..) for the display, it comes on and appears to work normally.

That could be due to my A/C controller which will be replaced when the new one arrives in the next few days. This is the first time I have messed around with the GPS since I broke the A/C unit. I will come back and update after I receive the new A/C controller.

Just wanted to let you guys know that it is possible to install a 2005 in an earlier car.

Original 2003 radio

2005 Radio

2005 Radio installed with green filters removed from the button backlight lamps.

Notice some of the text on the buttons is different.

Original 2003 radio for reference

Last edited by Retroplay; 11-16-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-16-15, 04:02 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow, that's great to know! That also means that the other models of items from VaisTech should work seemlessly with the 2005 radio as indicated by their application guide (including MML, SL3i, and SL3B). Up for taking on a new challenge, Retro!! :-)
Old 11-16-15, 04:11 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Wow, that's great to know! That also means that the other models of items from VaisTech should work seemlessly with the 2005 radio as indicated by their application guide (including MML, SL3i, and SL3B). Up for taking on a new challenge, Retro!! :-)

I ain't afraid of no challenge! What you have in mind?

Do note the "possible" issue with the navigation display not coming on when opened. But any button pressed for the navigation turns the screen on I poked around with the menus and tested the audio from it and it seems to be working ok. I guess that would be a minor annoyance if the rest of the benefits outweigh it. It could also be something easy to get working again.

So far, though, that is the only unusual thing I have noticed.
Old 11-16-15, 07:42 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I had a similar problem when I first installed my NAVIKS. Not anymore though. Do you have NAVIKS or NAVTOOL installed? Could be the culprit. As for the challenge, not sure if you are interested in adding Bluetooth but now that you have the 2005 radio, VaisTech SL3B would be a great option. Would be interested to see how well it works. My greatest interest is if the track changes from the steering controls or the radio face controls. Unfortunately, its $250. Whomp. Whomp. Additionally, do the steering wheel controls still work properly with the 2005?

Oh yea and now you can even upgrade to Grom Audio which has more features.check out the TOYOB3..

Last edited by ShawnOk; 11-16-15 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-17-15, 02:53 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
I had a similar problem when I first installed my NAVIKS. Not anymore though. Do you have NAVIKS or NAVTOOL installed? Could be the culprit. As for the challenge, not sure if you are interested in adding Bluetooth but now that you have the 2005 radio, VaisTech SL3B would be a great option. Would be interested to see how well it works. My greatest interest is if the track changes from the steering controls or the radio face controls. Unfortunately, its $250. Whomp. Whomp. Additionally, do the steering wheel controls still work properly with the 2005?

Oh yea and now you can even upgrade to Grom Audio which has more features.check out the TOYOB3..
Yes, the steering wheel controls work the same as before.

I don't have any custom electronics installed yet. It could be loose wiring. I will re-check all of it when I get the replacement A/C unit.

I need to research what's out there and decide on what I want to add. It probably doesn't make sense to go with something that integrates with the Nav Display since I am planning to replace that with a computer.
Old 11-17-15, 09:48 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Just dropping in to update. It must have been a loose connector somewhere. After driving to work this morning, the nav display comes on when it is opened just like before.

That pretty much confirms that a 2005 Radio deck is a drop-in upgrade. I think, but I am not positive, that Lexus stuck with the 2005 version of the radio up until 2009.

I also am growing fond of the orange glow of the button backlight. I may not be upgrading them to LEDs, at least not for now.

The text replaced on the buttons are: On the 2003, the TYPE button read RDS above TYPE. On the 2005, it just says TYPE. SCAN/MSG button now reads SCAN/TEXT. I am not really sure how to test those to see if there is a feature change. I also learned that if you hold the mode button on the steering wheel controls it will turn on/off the radio. Something I didn't know before.

On an unrelated note, I noticed while playing with the CD player that my door speakers rattle with even the slightest bass. Grrr...

Last edited by Retroplay; 11-17-15 at 09:58 AM.