SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-15, 12:14 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Driver's seat

Hi, I have an 02 Ecru seat which shows some darkening and beginnings of crease lines which might break open like S. CA...today or in years....?!
That's 2ndary to my main issue, which is that Lexus has told me the reason why my seat bottom feals lumpy, almost as if I'm feeling the spring wires, epending on how i place my tush. I went to Lexus of Northboro MA who sublet "Dr. Vinyl", who did a $200 job of putting 2" of padding on the inside.
That flattened within 2 moms., and the guy had said my "seat pan" is bent, and the Lexus rep said they're only 3 in the country-yeah, how much? Really, assuming the car didn't have an accident so bad an airbag smacked it, why would a seat pan bend?
Does anyone have a comment on whether it'd be bettter to get a new drivers seat (but then, it's hard to think there are many mint cond. ones). Would a new one be better than upholstery work? WHere would one find a decent used seat/or used seat bottom/pan?
Old 11-12-15, 09:38 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Recently I purchased a full interior out of a wrecked 2004. Both front seats, complete and the rear bench upper and lower, minus the rear headrests. I put them in my 2004 while I had the leather replaced on the front seats. Just getting ready to swap in the originals. The front seats work 100%, seat heaters, air bag, motors, everything. Could use some leather TLC but still decent. I could send you photo's if you are interested in going that way. A complete swap is pretty easy, just 4 bolts and a couple electrical connectors.
Old 11-13-15, 05:07 AM
pynky01
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FlopTop04 ...the parrot mki9100 ..can you play thru oem speakers in your car ... thanks...
Old 11-16-15, 06:03 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by pynky01
FlopTop04 ...the parrot mki9100 ..can you play thru oem speakers in your car ... thanks...
PM sent. Don't want to hijack this post.
Old 11-25-15, 08:52 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for not hijacking thread...I am really confused-in general-but doesn't anyone have any comment on a flattened 2002 sc430 left side of driver's seat upholstery repair or replace dillemma?
I mean, NO Lexus dealers will even let me speak w. upholsterers they subcontract...they expect me to just leave the car all day and let him have his way. The independent shops i could drive to near Boston have absolutely no clue what to do. One, as I said before, said I have a "bent seat pan"..but when I went to Lexus parts, they said in all their time, they'd only have to replace it once or twice on all the cars with seat issues they'd seen!
I think throwing even 2" of foam tends to settle in a month or two and so I'm wondering if I should just order another seat bottom cushion? I swear, if I had my passenger seat in place of drivers position, I'd be all set, since obviously low occupancy of former makes it frustratingly clear how far down and lumpy the left side of my driver's set is..it is as if the left lumbar area is flattened out like one of those mushroom flowers from Lost In Space!
Yet none of the repair shop bozos can tell me anything, and act as if I'm 6' 4" looking for an Escalade within confines of SCLexus! Does anyone have any comment as to whether a seat pan and its springs can "wear down" and need replacement. Anyone have any comment about "gel inserts" which one upholsterer said are used in motorcycles but have no "break in" softening..the way they feel is the way they're going to feel, etc...? I am NOT buying a whole new seat!!
Old 11-25-15, 09:28 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm sorry I can't help much with your problem, but I will say one thing to keep in mind if anyone is suggesting adding foam or padding to the seat bottom. Don't forget about the seat heater coil in the seat bottom. Not sure how the extra padding will affect this lush feature of the SC. Good luck and please let us know what you find out.
Old 11-25-15, 02:42 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

You might be able to pick up a seat or seat bottom cheap at a salvage yard or PartMyRide dot com.

Sorry but I don't have any experience with upholsterers either.