SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission Hesitation / Lag

Old 10-31-15, 08:40 AM
hlthlnk
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Transmission Hesitation / Lag

I was experiencing a hesitation / lag in my 2002 sc430 with 155,000 when accelerating from a dead stop and when I hit the accelerator hard to pass a car and switch lanes.
I read several threads talking about old trans fluid could be causing the issue.
The advise I took from the threads was to not flush the fluid but to drain and fill 3 or four times over a few months since you could only drain about 3 quarts at a time. This would allow for the new fluid to blend in with the old eventually making it a little better.
In my case I started to notice my transmission slipping more and more, took it the dealer for an opinion and was told that they would recommend to wait until it failed since they did not notice a big issue with the hesitation.
I was frustrated with the lag that I decided to do the drain and fill but decided to use and additive.
I have read several articles over the past 30 years on miracle oils and the harm some have caused by using them or the waste of money because they did nothing to help... here is my story.

I started, Jan 2015, by going to the Toyota dealer to pick up 9 quarts of trans fluid T-IV.
Was able to drain two quarts and add two fresh ones. My plan was to do this every 2 month. On one of my trips to the auto parts store, I decided to look at the additives section, and there are many, one caught my attention the Lucas brand and bought a bottle. The next time I drained, I used the additive. Two months later I drained again and used the additive once again and so on.
My experience has been positive so far...not sure if it was because of the new trans fluid or because of the additive helping in some way. I do not have the lag or hesitation I felt before, I'm hoping it lasts and don't need to deal with trans issues for a while.
Old 10-31-15, 09:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

I agree 95% with you except for the additive and that is only because I personally believe in the theory of fresh fluids will let her run trouble free for many years and miles without additives.

For what it is worth, I removed most of the fluid all at once by disconnecting the transmission cooler lines from the radiator, placed them in a gallon milk jug, started the car then stopped the car once the jug was full, refilled the transmission and repeated three or four more times until it was nice and red coming out.

You are doing the same thing at a slower pace. I am doing it your way on my other toy car.

BTW, are you doing the same thing to the power steering fluid?
Old 11-01-15, 03:45 PM
jmezo
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, ethanol free gas has completely removed my lag problems.
Old 11-03-15, 10:27 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default How much ATF came out of Transmission Cooler Lines?

Originally Posted by Bgw70
I agree 95% with you except for the additive and that is only because I personally believe in the theory of fresh fluids will let her run trouble free for many years and miles without additives.

For what it is worth, I removed most of the fluid all at once by disconnecting the transmission cooler lines from the radiator, placed them in a gallon milk jug, started the car then stopped the car once the jug was full, refilled the transmission and repeated three or four more times until it was nice and red coming out.

You are doing the same thing at a slower pace. I am doing it your way on my other toy car.

BTW, are you doing the same thing to the power steering fluid?
Hey Buddy,

I have thought about completely flushing ATF fluid via transmission lines. How much comes out when you do this method? is it about 7 quarts? How many gallon milk containers did you fill up? When putting the ATF back in, you just pour it in the dipstick?

FYI- I have flushed my ATF fluid several times, but have used the partial method of sucking out of dipstick or draining via ATF pan..afraid to do the full method lol
Old 11-03-15, 10:29 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have to start the car to get the fluid circulated? Obviousely the ATF pan doesnt hold that much fluid..
Old 11-03-15, 11:23 AM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done the full with mine. Yes you must start the car to get it flowing, I would have my wife start and stop the car, had clear tubing on the disconnected Radiator trans cooler in line to a clear container that had quart markings that I picked up at the dollar store. I would drain a quart and stop the engine, pour in a fresh quart through the dipstick. Did this 9 times, 9 quarts to fully flush, during 8 -9 quart you start seeing fresh fluid coming out. 9 new quarts in your good. Reattach lines , start, look for leaks and get engine warmed up, shift the trans through its gears while parked, check fluid level.

Poured old fluid into empty 5 qt synthetic oil containers

I am sure you could do more at one time, but I was being cautious on my first time doing things.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by MH6; 11-03-15 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-03-15, 01:28 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I removed most of the fluid all at once by disconnecting the transmission cooler lines from the radiator, placed them in a gallon milk jug, started the car then stopped the car once the jug was full, refilled the transmission and repeated three or four more times until it was nice and red coming out.
Old 11-05-15, 02:17 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Use ECT POWER to get the extra juice you need from a start.
Old 11-08-15, 03:52 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

if you are purchasing Toyota brand transmission fluid, you can also run Dexron, see attached document...

I like this brand and type! I have no issues with any of my cars and trust me, I will not use anything I would not trust.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
File Type: pdf
maxlife_atf.pdf (167.8 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by Bgw70; 11-08-15 at 03:57 AM.