SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2006 Phone Book

Old 10-21-15, 04:26 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2006 Phone Book

My iPhone 5S cannot send via BT the contacts list to the car either one at a time or all at once. I would like to just type in names and numbers but see no way to do this on the 2006 model. I did the search before asking. Anyone know if you can manually type a contact list?
Old 10-22-15, 05:33 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No. The only way I've been able to enter contacts was with an old Palm Centro cellphone I had. I kept it just for this purpose.
Old 10-22-15, 06:40 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Poqman
My iPhone 5S cannot send via BT the contacts list to the car either one at a time or all at once. I would like to just type in names and numbers but see no way to do this on the 2006 model. I did the search before asking. Anyone know if you can manually type a contact list?
The somewhat complicated but probably unhelpful answer is that what is considered standard bluetooth profiles has changed a lot over the years. That includes how phonebooks are shared.

For phonebook access, it requires a server and a client. Your phone would be the server and the nav ecu is the client. They need to be able to agree on the protocol and the profile. With the proliferation of smartphones, much has changed. While new stuff is generally backward compatible, older equipment would most likely not be forward compatible (wasn't thought of at the time!)

I do not know specifically what the 2006 BT capabilities were in the Lexus, but I suspect this might be the problem. And Apple is also well known for both restricting bluetooth and for inventing their own profiles and protocols.

You will run into this sometimes when you buy headsets or speakers and find they don't work with your phone. Although they may pair, there are multiple levels of application layers that both devices must support to work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...PBAP.2C_PBA.29

http://ipod.about.com/od/ipodiphoneh...rt-Details.htm

Prior to PBAP, OBEX and vcard was the most often used method of sharing contacts. I think I have seen references to vcard being the method used in the Lexus. There could possibly be apps on the app store which simulate a vcard push service that might work for you. rSAP is another profile that I had seen reference to in the newer telephony system within the Lexus. It originally was used with a special Nokia GSM phone. The rSAP allowed the nav unit to directly access the SIM card in the phone and act as the phone itself.

Last edited by Retroplay; 10-22-15 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-22-15, 07:04 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I just tried an old Samsung Galaxy S3 and it didn't work either
Old 10-22-15, 07:07 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Poqman
I just tried an old Samsung Galaxy S3 and it didn't work either

At least for Android, give this a try:
http://android-rsap.com/

I am reading that rSAP was finally officially supported in Android 4.4 KitKat, btw.

Last edited by Retroplay; 10-22-15 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 08:11 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

I have a Samsung note 2, installed the Bluetooth phonebook app trial version. Did not work. What's next? Any idea?
Old 10-22-15, 08:20 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GmanSC
I have a Samsung note 2, installed the Bluetooth phonebook app trial version. Did not work. What's next? Any idea?
Since I do not have direct experience with the 2006 BT features, I can only go on what I have read. Around 2004, Lexus moved away from the hardwired analog phone system and switched to a Nokia mobile handset that was GSM.

My understanding is that this paired with the phone using rSAP (Remote SIM Access Profile). This allowed the in car system to take over the phone and all of it's features. Note, though, this was not a smart phone. And at the time, Nokia was the only phone that worked with the car.

I've read reports that even though devices support rSAP, the SIM cards may not and that there are a few different methods to it. That link I gave has some support information on settings to try to get it to work. I have a 2003 SC430 with no phone capability at all, so I can't do any experimentation to help unfortunately. I am just hoping I am giving you guys some leads that might direct you to figuring it out.

That is unfortunately the best I can offer. But I do have a question, did your cars have a mobile handset installed in them at one time? I think there should be a cradle inside the center console box for it if it did.
Old 10-22-15, 08:28 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

It is my understanding the BT/NAV integration was designed specifically around that Nokia phone option. Lexus put the basics in the car, but the phone itself was an option that the dealer would install.

Given that it was designed specifically for that phone, it is probably going to take some effort to get something else to work.

If You have a device that is Android KitKat 4.4 based, you could give that a try. Supposedly the new Bluedroid stack was designed to be robust and support all bluetooth profiles. Earlier versions of Android were spotty at best and completely relied on the manufacturer to support bluetooth. Prior to 4.4, bluetooth on Android was a bit of a nightmare, honestly.

Oh and Apple supports none of this and I wouldn't expect that they ever will. Apple is pushing their Airplay and CarPlay features which require special systems.
Old 10-22-15, 08:43 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Last week, when I took my Lexus in for a recall, they loaned me a NX200 to drive for a week, the phone book from my Samsung note2 downloaded just fine. What's difference between the SC and the NX. I'll bring my car back to the dealer to see what they have to say. Will let you guys know.
Old 10-23-15, 02:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Last week, when I took my Lexus in for a recall, they loaned me a NX200 to drive for a week, the phone book from my Samsung note2 downloaded just fine. What's difference between the SC and the NX. I'll bring my car back to the dealer to see what they have to say. Will let you guys know.
Could it be that you were driving a car that is nine years newer and technology is better?
Old 10-23-15, 02:34 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Could it be that you were driving a car that is nine years newer and technology is better?
Well, that could be it, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the color of the car. Or how much air is in the tires. One of those two for sure.

Seriously, I did the transfer years ago using a Samsung Moment. As I recall, I tried many options before I got it to work and the least obvious was the ticket.

Here's a trick for updating someone's number that is programmed into the SC and you no longer have a phone that can access the SC. There is an Android app called "Prefixer." It can do many tricks, but one is that it can intercept outgoing numbers and make any changes you direct.

So if the wife's telephone at work used to be 555-321-1234, but she left that job, you can have Prefixer intercept that number and automatically dial the new number, e.g. 555 987-6543. In other words, the SC is still using the old number in the phone book, but the new number is being inserted at the phone, before dialing.
Old 10-23-15, 02:41 PM
Poqman
Lead Lap

I really have enjoyed everyone's discussion. Doesn't look good for me. I'm just confused how Lexus gave us the ability to have 2 phone books each with 500 numbers and barely a way to use them. Recognizing they were using BT to make it convenient to get the numbers into the system, it was crazy not to allow a manual entry. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-15, 11:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Well, I found the way to use the phone hand free without the BT. I bough the cassette adapter, the phone holder and the 3.5mm stereo connect cable. Now I can use my phone with all the contacts and also enjoy the music as well. Sweet.
Old 10-24-15, 02:22 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Well, that could be it, but I'm thinking it has more to do with the color of the car. Or how much air is in the tires. One of those two for sure..
Stop the fight, go back to your corner, judges, deduct two points from Johnny for the below the belt hit!

That was a good one Johnny!

Here are two old threads that may or may not help...I replaced my radio and BT works great in the 02.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...etooth-in-car/

http://www.cnet.com/forums/discussio...o-lexus-40070/

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-24-15 at 04:06 AM.
Old 10-24-15, 08:05 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

My problem was: when the Lexus says "send phone book" I don't know how to? I have Samsung note 2. Where do I go? Looked in the setting, couldn't find anything.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Phone Book