SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

bubble on back dash

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-15, 09:51 AM
cgroom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bubble on back dash

I searched for this as I know it is not uncommon to have the bubble, but I found nothing.

What can be done for this bubble? A friend said he is going to pop it with a pin, not sure if that is wise.

thanks
Old 10-21-15, 10:26 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I believe you may be referring to the package tray that flips up with the roof motion. I have a bubble on mine but I purchased a used package tray on eBay to replace this one.

Here is a thought, yes, use a very small pin, then fill a meat injector with some adhesive and shoot it into the hole made with the needle...I may just try that!
Thanks for bringing up the subject!
When I do it, I will let everyone know and create a thread!
Old 10-21-15, 10:33 AM
cgroom
Driver School Candidate

thanks!! that is great advice and I will try it unless I hear from someone else soon that has another option.

i will let you know how it works
Old 10-21-15, 01:02 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

This is a common problem in the bmw forum too . Seems to be mostly hotter weather states. There it's on the dash. Nobody seems to have come up with a solution that turns out well other than replacement. Some have tried using a needle and glue, not great results. Most have just decided to live with it.
Old 10-21-15, 01:45 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This may be a recovered dash or is it a repair? Either way, it may be worth a try with just the needle and heat gun. If that does not work, a little adhesive may be applied.
Old 10-21-15, 03:10 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My problem... and repair. Not great results to this day, but not getting any larger. No upholstery or leather repair shop would attempt anything with it. Most just said I had to replace the entire dash. I tried my way with adhesive and it's still the same. Most friends that ride in the passenger seat don't notice it until I mention it. But it bothers the hell out of me. Contacted Lexus to see if they would offer anything if I did the repair at the same time as the air bag recall (under the impression that they would attempt with the "through the dash" technique. Lexus offered to cover 50% of the estimated $1600 dash repair. I couldn't afford the expected $800, so my dash remains the same. Anyway, good luck.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...sh-bubble.html

Last edited by ShawnOk; 10-21-15 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-21-15, 03:32 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

From your pictures, it looks like you did a good job!
Is the glue still holding, has it changed at all?
Old 10-21-15, 04:08 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Glue is still holding. Bubble has stayed the same size since I wrote the post. I just wish it was less noticeable. But as far as all the pros I consulted. Most said that's as good as it will get. There's no way to make it look like it was never flawed without a full dash replacement.
Old 10-23-15, 11:11 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a bubble on the package tray as well I used a small pin pierced it and then used a heat gun to shrink the material bubble gone. I was careful with the heat gun so not to burn it. I live in Pa so we do not get really hot temp here. What I found is when the windows are up and the top is up sun beating on rear windshield is like a magnifying glass so it really heats it up quick. Now when I park car outside on hot day I throw a white towel on top to absorb the heat. My package tray is dark that's another reason it gets so hot from sun
Old 10-23-15, 11:26 AM
cgroom
Driver School Candidate

what about tinting your windows?
Old 10-23-15, 11:58 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cgroom
what about tinting your windows?
I have never been a fan of tint. The towel works for me.
Old 10-23-15, 12:16 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

From my understanding and repeated discussions with Lexus and Toyota techs and Lexus corporate, the "bubbles" are from defective adhesive and not so much about the heat. My bubble developed while I was out of the country for about 4 years. The car was never in the sun and garage under a car cover for those full 4 years.
Old 10-23-15, 12:22 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
From my understanding and repeated discussions with Lexus and Toyota techs and Lexus corporate, the "bubbles" are from defective adhesive and not so much about the heat. My bubble developed while I was out of the country for about 4 years. The car was never in the sun and garage under a car cover for those full 4 years.
My bubble showed up one day in the hot sun when the top was up and it was sitting. The air that caused it to lift I assumed was because of the heat generated by the magnified glass on to the package tray . I also garage mine and never had a bubble since I repaired the one and its been a while and no more have shown up. The glue may be defective but I think the heat added to appearing
Old 10-24-15, 06:54 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Okay, here is my attempt at fixing the bubble on my back dash...

I put way too much adhesive in the bubble, only put a little in the bubble and move it around.

The Residue is from rubbing alcohol.

Not perfect but better and it should not bubble up when it is in the sun.
Old 10-24-15, 08:53 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Thanks for the pictures Bgw. I wonder if heat and maybe a little moisture (like from a steam iron through a cloth) would have helped flatten it out more?

Is that a GPS antenna behind the wind deflector?

Quick Reply: bubble on back dash